Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 04:31 PM

975 posts, read 1,409,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Yesterday Macy's announced it is closing 125 stores and will exit weaker malls. While a full closure list hasn't been announced yet, this makes me believe that the Paradise Valley Mall and Superstition Springs locations may be in danger of closing. However, in the case of Superstition Springs the potential saving grace might be the Backstage store that opened on the third floor last year, which Macy's is expanding to more locations.

Which locations do you think could be in danger of closing?
PV Mall is on the listing of "neighborhood stores" by Macy's (which are expected to close within 3 years). The other Arizona store on that list is Park Place Mall in Tucson.

So, at least in the short term the other local Macy's stores (other than PV Mall) are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 04:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
PV Mall is on the listing of "neighborhood stores" by Macy's (which are expected to close within 3 years). The other Arizona store on that list is Park Place Mall in Tucson.

So, at least in the short term the other local Macy's stores (other than PV Mall) are safe.
Damn. I'm sure Dillard's will follow. We don't live up that way any more but it was the place to go in its day. I still go up there to buy bagels at Chompie's. It's a sad place.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,287,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. It seems to much of a pain to by clothing online. I'm the kind of person who has to try on clothes before I'll buy them as well. It's more of a pain to buy several sizes and then ship what I don't need back than it is to just go to a brick and mortar store.

I believe the decline of Macy's has more to do with the decline of indoor malls than it does Amazon.
Indoor malls are declining because of Amazon. Millennials are more likely to buy clothes online than previous generations.

Think about this way. You can either:

- Get in your car
- Drive 30-45 minutes to the mall
- Fight for parking if it's busy
- Deal with crowds in the mall
- Search for the item you're looking for
- Find it and buy it OR it's not in stock
- Walk back out to the parking lot
- Drive 30-45 minutes back home
- If you want to return it, drive back 30-45 minutes, fight for parking, deal with crowds, etc.

Or:

- Go online
- Find exactly what you're looking for
- Order it
- Wait 2-7 days
- Try it on in the comfort of your home with the ability to pair it with any item in your wardrobe
- Keep it OR return it by dropping it at UPS or Amazon Locker, sometimes at no charge

I'd pick the second 24/7.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Remember though that Amazon doesn't sell a lot of the higher-end brands that are sold by department stores. The third party sellers might, but then there is greater risk of getting counterfeit products. In fact, one recent blow to Amazon is the pullout of Nike, which is one of the best-selling clothing and footwear brands right now (I think the reason for Nike's pullout was possibly due to issues with Minimum Advertised Price compliance with certain products).

Old 02-18-2020, 05:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Remember though that Amazon doesn't sell a lot of the higher-end brands that are sold by department stores. The third party sellers might, but then there is greater risk of getting counterfeit products.
Macys.com

Old 02-18-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Macys.com
I'm talking about the third party sellers on the Amazon marketplace. Amazon itself doesn't sell a lot of higher-end fashion brands.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the third party sellers on the Amazon marketplace. Amazon itself doesn't sell a lot of higher-end fashion brands.
You’re right but Macy’s has a great website where you. Similar function and good deals too

Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You’re right but Macy’s has a great website where you. Similar function and good deals too
I used to buy a lot from Macy's until the stopped carrying my favorite brand. Now my go-to stores for clothing are Amazon, JCPenney, and Kohl's, with occasional purchases online from Belk and Bealls Florida. However, I did see my favorite brand at Macy's Backstage at Superstition Springs.

I know when Macy's carried it as one of their brands, it was available locally at least three locations (Superstition Springs, Chandler Fashion Center, and Arrowhead Towne Center), with one Macy's employee telling me that it was also available briefly at Scottsdale Fashion Square. I wonder what makes Macy's choose specific locations for certain brands.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 02-19-2020 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 12:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Indoor malls are declining because of Amazon. .
Why specifically indoor malls? New shopping centers that are outdoors seem to be doing well, e.g. Desert Ridge Marketplace, Kierland Commons, San Tan Marketplace. Given Arizona summers I would think that enclosed malls would have an advantage.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Why specifically indoor malls? New shopping centers that are outdoors seem to be doing well, e.g. Desert Ridge Marketplace, Kierland Commons, San Tan Marketplace. Given Arizona summers I would think that enclosed malls would have an advantage.
I think because people like the concept of new urbanism. Outdoor walkable areas with shopping, dining, etc. Walking around Kierland or San Tan and you feel like you are in a small downtown Main St with just high-end stores. For me, they just give off a way better vibe than indoor malls (most of which are dated and dark).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area