Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:52 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,894,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Here's a link to some research that the Pew Research Center did on several major cities in the US. Both Dallas and Atlanta rank as more liberal than Phoenix.

Most Liberal and Conservative U.S. Cities

Dallas was only a city for 5 years when the Civil War began. Arizona was also part of the Confederacy for a period of time. It was also one of the few states to reject the creation of MLK Day as a holiday. It voted with the Southern states against the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

All that said, those are state politics and 2020 is a very different time. All of these cities have been heavily influences by transplants from other areas of the country and the world.

I think you're using how the states lean politically to color the cities. Texas and Georgia are undoubtedly more conservative than Arizona, but Phoenix is more conservative than Dallas and Atlanta. Not that that's a bad thing.
The year is 2020 isn’t it? Don’t things change? Phoenix has also changed with the other two and has gotten a bit bluer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 PM

66 posts, read 43,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Here's a link to some research that the Pew Research Center did on several major cities in the US. Both Dallas and Atlanta rank as more liberal than Phoenix.

Most Liberal and Conservative U.S. Cities

Dallas was only a city for 5 years when the Civil War began. Arizona was also part of the Confederacy for a period of time. It was also one of the few states to reject the creation of MLK Day as a holiday. It voted with the Southern states against the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

All that said, those are state politics and 2020 is a very different time. All of these cities have been heavily influences by transplants from other areas of the country and the world.

I think you're using how the states lean politically to color the cities. Texas and Georgia are undoubtedly more conservative than Arizona, but Phoenix is more conservative than Dallas and Atlanta. Not that that's a bad thing.

Arizona was not a state during the Confederacy thus it was never a member of the Confederacy. The territory that made up Arizona was divided by both Union and Confederate forces. Texas was a formal member of the Confederacy and Dallas was completely occupied by Confederate forces. Slavery was essential to the cotton industry in Dallas. Texas has not voted for a Democratic President since Jimmy Carter; Arizona voted for Clinton in 1996. Arizona has a Democrat for a U.S. Senator. Mark Kelly is slightly favored over Martha McSally for the second senate position. Arizona and Phoenix is considered a battleground state in the 2020 Presidental election, meanwhile Texas is a Republican stronghold. We are ignoring the most obvious element. Dallas is considered by many to be the capital of the evangelical movement and has the largest number of churches especially mega churches in the world. The Phoenix metropolitan area is essentially Arizona since it comprises over 80% of the state's population. So how the state leans politically is essentially Phoenix. Phoenix is geographically more proximal to the west coast thus it has more transplants from the west coast than Dallas. Dallas is in north Texas and is adjacent to conservative states in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Culturally, Dallas has far more in common with those southern states while Phoenix is culturally very similar to southern California, particularly Orange County. Dallas only accounts for 1.5 million people in the nearly 6 million Dallas Ft. Worth metropolitan area. When people allude to Dallas, they are really alluding to DFW. When you compare DFW to Phoenix metro, Dallas is historically, politically and culturally more conservative than Phoenix.

Last edited by barca12; 02-28-2020 at 10:38 PM..

Old 02-29-2020, 12:14 AM

66 posts, read 43,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

--Phoenix (and Arizona) are not solid red in 2020. The Phoenix City Council, although technically non-partisan, has a 6-3 Democratic majority. With one Republican usually voting with the Democrats, it's more like 7-2 in actual practice. Arizona's U.S. Senate delegation is split with one senator from each party. Arizona's house delegation has 5-4 Democratic majority. Two key statewide offices, Superintendent of Public Instruction and Secretary of State, are held by Democrats. Likewise, two key Maricopa County offices, Recorder and Sheriff, are held by Democrats.

I'm not certain why our reputation is so heavily red when the facts speak otherwise as you so eloquently identified above. It was a surprise to me when I moved here as I found the culture to resemble Orange County, California. I would never classify it as liberal but I don't find it to be conservative either. A lot can change in the upcoming election. Arizona may approve of recreational marijuana and vote for Mark Kelly, which would mean that both of Arizona's senators are Democrats.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:19 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,055,041 times
By the way, decided to pass on the job.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:03 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,171,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Is it because of what your "friends" said about the Phoenix area? Even if you're passing on the job offer, you really should come here and see Phoenix for yourself. Like any other large metro area, there are plenty of areas to avoid, but there are also many areas that are top notch. Most everybody agrees that the worst part about living is the intensely hot summers ... and on a personal level, I'll add the seemingly endless sunny days as a negative. Sunshine is something most people love, but we get so much of it that it becomes monotonous & depressing when it's day after day, week after week, month after month!

Old 10-10-2020, 03:52 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,708,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Is it because of what your "friends" said about the Phoenix area? Even if you're passing on the job offer, you really should come here and see Phoenix for yourself. Like any other large metro area, there are plenty of areas to avoid, but there are also many areas that are top notch. Most everybody agrees that the worst part about living is the intensely hot summers ... and on a personal level, I'll add the seemingly endless sunny days as a negative. Sunshine is something most people love, but we get so much of it that it becomes monotonous & depressing when it's day after day, week after week, month after month!
Apparently this person has visited, as there was an observation about the stoppers in hotel sinks in a separate post.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:15 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,678,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Well, the desert certainly isn't for everyone. Good luck with your career and new surroundings.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:20 PM

499 posts, read 466,323 times
Weather: Phoenix temps soared over 100 in late April, and are still over 100, 6 months later. This is the new normal; heat is awful for 6-7 months of the year, and okay for 5-6 months. Phoenix has most of the big city issues of Los Angeles without the ocean, although I think the air quality is better. Pay is definitely higher in L.A., but rents and home prices are lower.

If you are hesitant but the job is extremely attractive, you could give it a year or two, and rent a place; don't buy. You'll know after a year whether to put down roots or use the second year to plan your escape.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:53 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,171,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Phoenix has most of the big city issues of Los Angeles without the ocean, although I think the air quality is better.
Yes, Phoenix has plenty of crime, traffic, pollution, and other big city issues, but L.A. still has worse traffic & air quality overall. One thing I've always said is how unfortunate it is that Phoenix seems to have the problems of a big city, but not the positive amenities. It would be great if Phoenix was a true destination for top notch entertainment, and other things that L.A. is known for without having to be the size of L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Pay is definitely higher in L.A., but rents and home prices are lower.
Rents and home prices are lower in L.A.??? Not in your wildest dreams. Phoenix likely will always be more affordable than coastal CA, but I hope our days of being a sunny & cheap haven are over.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:39 PM

499 posts, read 466,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yes, Phoenix has plenty of crime, traffic, pollution, and other big city issues, but L.A. still has worse traffic & air quality overall. One thing I've always said is how unfortunate it is that Phoenix seems to have the problems of a big city, but not the positive amenities. It would be great if Phoenix was a true destination for top notch entertainment, and other things that L.A. is known for without having to be the size of L.A.

Rents and home prices are lower in L.A.??? Not in your wildest dreams. Phoenix likely will always be more affordable than coastal CA, but I hope our days of being a sunny & cheap haven are over.
No--I meant salaries are higher in L.A. but home prices and rents are lower in Phoenix. Sorry, should have added the last two words onto that sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area