Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:41 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,860,340 times

Advertisements

Here is con that most dont know about. Year after year the area has several intersections that are among the most dangerous in the country and I know that Phoenix was the red light running fatality capital of the country for a number of years. I think the cameras have helped but it still isn't good. The Grand Ave/Camelback intersection was #1 on the list one year.

https://ktar.com/story/2712606/arizo...pita-says-aaa/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 01:48 AM

44,541 posts, read 61,208,520 times
You know those cons are not Phoenix's fault. It's the people moving here from all over the country bringing their bad habits and other baggage with them.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:04 AM

2,755 posts, read 7,376,526 times
Among the cons, some are subjective and not really worth debating. Many others are out of date by at least a decade. A few specifics:

--There hasn't been a shared hockey/basketball arena downtown since 2003.

--There are new music venues, bars, and other non-sports attractions opening in downtown Phoenix all the time.

--The light rail system is no longer new. It has been in operation for over a decade and its usage far surpasses any forecasts. There have also been complementary expansions of bus service.

--Phoenix (and Arizona) are not solid red in 2020. The Phoenix City Council, although technically non-partisan, has a 6-3 Democratic majority. With one Republican usually voting with the Democrats, it's more like 7-2 in actual practice. Arizona's U.S. Senate delegation is split with one senator from each party. Arizona's house delegation has 5-4 Democratic majority. Two key statewide offices, Superintendent of Public Instruction and Secretary of State, are held by Democrats. Likewise, two key Maricopa County offices, Recorder and Sheriff, are held by Democrats.

-- Among restaurants I have recently enjoyed or have on my list to visit soon, Ethiopian, Yemeni, Malaysian, Filipino, Colombian, Moroccan, and many other international cuisines are represented.

Is Phoenix perfect? Far from it, but it sounds like the person giving you feedback is sending you a message from at least 10 years ago. You'll want more up-to-date information, along with your own first-hand impressions, in order to reach an educated conclusion.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-07-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,213,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Pros
True. Though, third degree pet burns???? Are you for real??? We had a dog door and she chose to sleep out on the padio in the morning and would get in the pool if she got hot.
I thought this was ridiculous, too. My dogs go out just fine in the summer. They know to run quickly across the concrete patio to the pool area where there is kool deck and you can walk on it even on the hottest days. One of my dogs even loves to sunbathe in 100+ degree weather, but they are chihuahuas, desert dogs My cats go in the yard and will sleep under a bush all day, not coming in until I physically drag them. I have never seen any of my animals burst into flames upon stepping outside.

I also spend much more time outside in the summer than winter, floating in the pool. In the winter I don't go out much at all other than work, errands, etc.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
Some of the cons are flat wrong, particularly the blanket statement about the people, others seem dated, particularly with respect to downtown, which is not at all like what it was even five to ten years ago.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:27 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
CONS

Disgusting tap water. You might hear a local bragging to you that "Atlanta has a 30-day water supply, while ours is 30 years". Be that as it may, the quality of the H2O sucks. It's hard water, and whenever you wash your pots and pans you'll often find this weird residue that never seems to go away.
Yep. Two words: Water filtration. Problem solved.

Quote:
CONS

Ubiquitous soliciting and panhandling. Not one week will go by when you won't be walking through a parking lot into/out of a store, completely minding your own business when suddenly you are accosted by some white-trash goon or a group of 16 year-old punks asking you for money. This would happen to me even when I pulled into service stations just to get gas. I've never had this problem in any other region that I've ever lived in. But it would happen to me ALL the time when I lived in Phoenix. It gradually escalated from minor nuisance to major pain in the arse.
Huh? Where the Hell did they live? Excluding the corner panhandlers who are popping up EVERYWHERE in an economy where you need a pulse to find a job, I have not experienced this more than once in 9 (1/2 season) years. People, "don't feed the bears"

Quote:
CONS

Crime/fraud. Arizona is #1 nationwide in identity theft and #1 in adult kidnappings. Both fraud and violent crime are big problems. Arizona is a border state with very strict drug laws. At the same time, it also has very permissive gun laws (e.g. the Castle Doctrine) and an Old West mentality. All of these factors combine.
Nope! #10. https://moneywise.com/a/worst-states-identity-theft But yea, AZ loves their guns!

Quote:
CONS

Household pests, especially scorpions. I was lucky enough never to get stung by a scorpion, and I never even saw one. But it seemed that almost everyone else whom I met there had at least one run-in with these critters.
Lucky? If he says so. I bet one out of 1000 have been stung. Maybe even higher. I've been on this planet for 54 years, I've been stung by a bee once or twice and there are millions of more bees. It's a non-factor.
Quote:
CONS

Extremely conservative (both in politics and religion). If you're Republican, you'll feel right at home there. But if you're a liberal yuppie from San Francisco or Boston or Washington, boy are you in for a real culture shock. Arizona is a solid-red state and it follows that Phoenix is too, since it is the state capital and the seat of government (note though, that Tucson, which is 120 miles to the southeast, is decidedly liberal). On religion: you may also find yourself getting hounded by proselytyzers as the area has a sizable population of Latter Day Saints and Jehovah's Witnesses.
I'm not sure "hounded" is the right word. But a bible thumper came to the door two days ago. He wanted to read me a scripture. WTF? I bet an average of one per year will come to the door. If that constitutes "hounded", I guess he was right. lol

Old 02-07-2020, 09:14 AM

4,052 posts, read 5,063,928 times
Well they spent a year here and it sounds like that was a few years ago. Things have changed and some have not. As far as their interaction with their neighbors and others around them? You are still you no matter where you live, if you are not initiating contact or care to talk to your neighbors...that will be your perspective.

As far as the political demographics...times are changing. Dems are still in the minority state and (Maricopa) County wise but not by much. Voter apathy can swing elections much more than numbers of registered voters:

https://ktar.com/story/2964265/arizo...arter-of-2019/

Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 7,671,485 times
Regarding meth/drugs:

I was in the Hilcrest district of San Diego. This is a nice part of the city and centrally located.

Every Sunday morning I would see a young fellow or two passed out on the sidewalk. Just sprawled out on the concrete.

Whenever I walked to the convenience store or a restaurant around the corner of Washington and El Cajon Boulevard I needed to wade past the panhandlers.

San Francisco is worse.

I don't see much of this in East Mesa. Between Recker and University there's a large open area which I believe is city owned.

People with shopping carts began camping there but local residents put a quick end to that.

What San Diego has over Mesa of course is the weather. SF has the public transportation and mild winters/summers.

I've traveled and live abroad for many years. All cities have pros and cons. My biggest beef with the Phx metro as well as Southern Cal. is you need a car.

SF? Some people feel it's the only place to live and are willing to spend a million or two to live with "diversity and grittiness."

But having grown up there I see the city falling apart from within. Few city services function properly. Don't know how long the tech money will last but I wanted out while the cash still flows.

AZ summers:

Today the wife is complaining it's too cold! She much prefer the summer months. Me? Not a fan of the summers. Besides the heat as a landlord I'm running around making sure renters change the AC filters.

Wish the light rail had express trains and went throughout the Valley.

Last edited by john3232; 02-07-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,938,386 times
For a PRO, they listed 'no mosquito's' -- all credibility lost. I mean it isn't Florida, but the mosquito's are pretty crazy around monsoon season.

The CON list feels like it is Circa 2007. A lot has changed since then. I am impressed what has happened downtown over the last decade or so. The wife and I love going down there now, last month on a Friday night some of the more trendier places had a 1-2 hour wait and there were a lot of people downtown, there were no games going on either.

If you look at the original thread this was taken from, I can see why the OP had problems socially here based on how he replied to others, kinds seems like he might have been the problem. This was originally posted on what could be considered a 'competing' site so not sure if the link is allowed, but here it is: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-p...hoenix-Arizona

Old 02-07-2020, 11:54 AM

4,052 posts, read 5,063,928 times
So wait...OP was sent a Quora post from 2016 from friends who were asked their opinion of living in Phoenix...but obviously couldn't be bothered to take a couple of minutes and give them so they sent him the outdated post?

Got it.

OP there is plenty of good information right here in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area