Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 12:25 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,053,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

Got it.

OP there is plenty of good information right here in this forum.
Yep, that's why Im asking you guys.
BTW thanks for the feedback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 12:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,365,546 times
I knew it, Phoenix is built for introvert like me who doesn't like sports, hates congested downtown, hates talking to random people, hate riding in a public transport. I could care less of cultural diversity.

I live in a low income neighborhood, once in a while, I hear crime within 5 miles of our neighborhood, but they mostly domestic and organized crime, nothing to do with me. Been here for 5 years and I was never a victim of any crime.

I have 4 kids who all went to a top-notch schools, one of the nation's bests. So cut the crap about AZ having low education standards.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 7,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
For a PRO, they listed 'no mosquito's' -- all credibility lost. I mean it isn't Florida, but the mosquito's are pretty crazy around monsoon season.

The CON list feels like it is Circa 2007. A lot has changed since then. I am impressed what has happened downtown over the last decade or so. The wife and I love going down there now, last month on a Friday night some of the more trendier places had a 1-2 hour wait and there were a lot of people downtown, there were no games going on either.

If you look at the original thread this was taken from, I can see why the OP had problems socially here based on how he replied to others, kinds seems like he might have been the problem. This was originally posted on what could be considered a 'competing' site so not sure if the link is allowed, but here it is: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-p...hoenix-Arizona

If someone holds such attitudes... my advice: move to San Francisco.

Rent a room in house with four others as that's likely all you'll be able to afford.

Here you can chat about the inequities of life and how intellectually/morally superior you are to many of your fellow Americans.

Last edited by john3232; 02-07-2020 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 12:57 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

Excellent infrastructure. A modern city, well-planned, well laid-out and easy to navigate. An extensive freeway system without any toll roads. For a city of its population size, Phoenix is surprisingly uncongested. Your commutes may be lengthy in terms of mileage but traffic usually flows pretty well. Even if you encounter a traffic jam, you can usually find an alternate route to get you to where you're going.

The people: rude, flaky, obnoxious, aggressive, uneducated, unsophisticated, meth-addicted, rednecky, racist and xenophobic. I need to stress that this is strictly my own opinion, but I found the locals to be at least one (or a combination of some or all) of the above.

Characterless. A giant sea of strip malls, chain restaurants, Orwellian neighborhoods and tract housing, all surrounding an empty shell of a downtown. Very commercialized and generic. Has the look and feel of a giant suburb, or a cluster of smaller suburbs. Lacks a certain cosmopolitan vibe.

Awkward, insular lifestyle. You often feel like you're living in a bubble, due partly to the intense climate and partly to the urban sprawl that makes you so dependent on your vehicle. You'll leave your air-conditioned house and step into your air-conditioned car, from there you'll scurry into your air-conditioned office or the air-conditioned supermarket or mall and then back in reverse order. If you have a pet, may as well potty train them. You can't let a dog or cat outside during the daytime for most of the year - they can suffer third-degree burns.

The area is very spread-out and little to nothing is within walking distance of your house or office. You'll find that you'll never really see or interact with your neighbors except to wave at them as your automatic garage door is closing. I always found it ironic how people ostensibly move to Phoenix for the weather, and yet once they arrive there, they really spend relatively little time outdoors.

Disgusting tap water. You might hear a local bragging to you that "Atlanta has a 30-day water supply, while ours is 30 years". Be that as it may, the quality of the H2O sucks. It's hard water, and whenever you wash your pots and pans you'll often find this weird residue that never seems to go away.

Very little cultural diversity. For a city with such a large population, Phoenix is sorely lacking in this category. The local idea of "diversity" is the city's many Mexican chain restaurants and a few tiny shops selling Native American jewelry. It's difficult to find any type of international cuisine there (other than Mexican, and even that isn't as good as the locals will try to claim). Sky Harbor Airport has no direct international flights anywhere outside of North America, except for a sporadic flight to London (Emirates recently tried to launch a nonstop route to Dubai but it never materialized). In a nutshell: Phoenix is a big American city, but it is the last thing from an international city.

Urban sprawl and car-centric culture. Very spread-out. Public transportation is woeful. Forget what you may have read about that new light rail system. The metro area is much too big for it to be much use. Most people aren't too fond of standing outside waiting for a trolley in 110-degree heat anyway.

Ubiquitous soliciting and panhandling. Not one week will go by when you won't be walking through a parking lot into/out of a store, completely minding your own business when suddenly you are accosted by some white-trash goon or a group of 16 year-old punks asking you for money. This would happen to me even when I pulled into service stations just to get gas. I've never had this problem in any other region that I've ever lived in. But it would happen to me ALL the time when I lived in Phoenix. It gradually escalated from minor nuisance to major pain in the arse.

Household pests, especially scorpions. I was lucky enough never to get stung by a scorpion, and I never even saw one. But it seemed that almost everyone else whom I met there had at least one run-in with these critters.

High utility bills. You'll have your A/C running constantly for a good three months out of the year. Water bills tend to be very steep as well. You'll go through tanks of gas quickly as well due to the spread-out distances.

Atrocious public school system. Ranked at or near the bottom nationwide.

Extremely conservative (both in politics and religion). If you're Republican, you'll feel right at home there. But if you're a liberal yuppie from San Francisco or Boston or Washington, boy are you in for a real culture shock. Arizona is a solid-red state and it follows that Phoenix is too, since it is the state capital and the seat of government (note though, that Tucson, which is 120 miles to the southeast, is decidedly liberal). On religion: you may also find yourself getting hounded by proselytyzers as the area has a sizable population of Latter Day Saints and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Worst, most unsafe and aggressive drivers in the country. I've lived all over the country and Phoenix wins all awards in this category. They're absolute maniacs. Try to keep your cool if you're ever confronted with any type of similar situation and don't allow it to escalate. Remember what I wrote above about the gun laws and the Castle doctrine (...you can see where I am going with this).
A few comments on the items I have selected above, from a newcomer of about a year:

I think traffic here is horrendous. In my view, worse than the Washington, D.C. area, including the Beltway.

I don't find people here that much different than when I lived in the D.C. area or the Colorado Springs area.

Well, to a large extent, the area is giant suburb. I don't find it that different than most suburban areas of the U.S.

I don't find the heat that much more problematic than I found the snow in other places. It's a choice.

I don't mind drinking the tap water (although I continue to drink mostly bottled water, as I did previously), but I do hate the buildup of minerals on my glasses after going through the dishwasher.

I'm "into" cultural diversity. In a way I find the Phoenix area a bit like the D.C. area. In D.C. the cultural diversity was primarily African American with pockets of El Savadorian (with small communities of other cultures due to embassies, and such. Here it's more Mexican culture.

I don't see any more panhandling here than I saw in the D.C. area, and less than I saw in the Colorado Springs area.

I live in Sun City West. No one I have talked to has ever seen a scorpion here.

My utility bills aren't much different over the course of a year than in Colorado Springs. A few in the summer were whoppers, but others months have been quite pleasant.

As a former educator, what I hear of the school in Arizona is disappointing, to say the least.

Maybe I'm just lucky. In my particular neighborhood here, almost everyone is a Democrat. We have one husband and wife who are very conservative, and they are the isolated ones. However, I should point out that most of the people I have met here are from other parts of the country, particularly Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

I agree about unsafe drivers. I may be old (70), but some of the old codgers who are driving here in Sun City West are downright scary.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 17,235 times
I've never thought that much about the political affiliation of my neighbors. It's not something that comes up often in passing conversation. When it does, even if I find out that a neighbor is of a different mindset, it doesn't make me think less of the community. I really don't care if the guy next door is a Democrat or Republican as long as he mows his lawn, keeps his dog off mine, and generally doesn't act like a dirtbag.

On a larger scale, politics does affect things like taxes, infrastructure, etc., but it's really easy to find out the overall political history of a place before I move there.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 7,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBound19 View Post
I've never thought that much about the political affiliation of my neighbors. It's not something that comes up often in passing conversation. When it does, even if I find out that a neighbor is of a different mindset, it doesn't make me think less of the community. I really don't care if the guy next door is a Democrat or Republican as long as he mows his lawn, keeps his dog off mine, and generally doesn't act like a dirtbag.

On a larger scale, politics does affect things like taxes, infrastructure, etc., but it's really easy to find out the overall political history of a place before I move there.

There it is!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:55 PM

2,760 posts, read 5,678,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
There it is!

That's because most of us are Dontshivagitocrats and Leavemethefaulkaloneicans.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:30 PM

6,646 posts, read 4,931,954 times
I largely agree with the weather-related comments.

Most of the "cons" list would apply to nearly every large U.S. city... lots of uninteresting suburban sprawl, cars are more or less mandatory, panhandlers, etc. I see some of my neighbors a lot, but others I wouldn't recognize as they are never out walking and they hire landscapers to do their yards.

The political comments I will disagree with. Within the metro area there are certainly red areas and blue areas. Phoenix has a democratic mayor. AZ has one democratic senator today, and might have two a year from now.

Not sure about the kidnapping statistic, but I suspect this is mostly related to illegal activities. It certainly is not something I think about.

For a city of it's size, I'd agree the downtown area is weak. It's changing, although slowly.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:52 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,207,746 times
"The people: rude, flaky, obnoxious, aggressive, uneducated, unsophisticated, meth-addicted, rednecky, racist and xenophobic. I need to stress that this is strictly my own opinion, but I found the locals to be at least one (or a combination of some or all) of the above."

I think it is very difficult to find honest, competent, reliable and reasonably priced contractors in metro Phoenix, so in my opinion that is a reflection about how contractors view their customers.

Read a thread I started on here about handymen and how difficult they are to find.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,218,448 times
There is a lot of truth to the OPs post, but it seems outdated and not as extreme as it’s made out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area