Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 02:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,828,616 times

Advertisements

I think it's an accurate assessmnent outside of the housing prices. The crime ranges from sky-high in some areas to having some of the safest suburbs in America.

The weather is very nice for about 8 months. The summer is very hot with an average high of 104 but many areas are a few degress less than the official reporting station and to be honest 104 is only about 5 to 10 degrees more than many cities in the southern US in the summer. Rather have 8 months of very nice but 4 months of an extra 5 to 10 degrees compared much of the country than a cold winter.

The desert environs aren't a big deal but the rock formation and desert plants are nice but nothing amazing to me.

The air is dry. I notice alot of people have respiratory problems though in Phoenix from dry, polluted air in the basin.

Phoenix does have an excellent infrastructure. I would say it's the best I have seen of any large city based on anecdotal observations.

Metro Phoenix has expensive rents if one wants to live a decent area. A good area is pricey in metro Phoenix, it is actually much more expensive than it looks of paper because there are alot of very unappealing areas honestly.

Home prices in metro Phoenix are a bargain by big city western US standards, but are expensive compared to much of Midwest and South. It's not as inexpensive as people think, but for a Western US city home prices in general are much less and there is alot of variety.

People in Metro Phoenix are a variety. There are some of the nicest people in the area and then there are some of rudest people also. There are many who are extremely down to earth and many who are extremely pretentious. It is a metro of extremes when it comes to people, such a huge variety because come from all over. There are people who lived in Phoenix there whole life, but it's a transplant area so in one day people will run into a bigger variety of personalities in one day than an entire year in a majority of big cities.

Overall, as far as friendlier, insular and other characteristics of the people there is a huge variety here like no where else I have lived one associates with every personality characteristic there is each day. It's part of the fun and excitement of area.

In the sprawl department. There is much but that is the allure for many. It's a massive area if with anything and everything. There are many urban big cities, but this isn't one of them and no matter how they try there isn't much appetite for density in metro Phoenix. There is some dense areas Old Town Scottsdale and much of Tempe are very dense.

Crime in metro Phoenix ranges from some extremely high-crime areas that are some of the Western United States to many suburbs like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Chandler and many other smaller suburbs that are some of the safest cities in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 PM

66 posts, read 43,149 times
I read this forum for information. I find it to be quite valuable. But I felt compelled to post after reading so much misinformation in this thread. The opinion cited by the couple in the original post could not be more wrong. A little bit about my background, I am well traveled. I moved here for a corporate job. I have a graduate degree, earn a very competitive salary and am well traveled. I have lived in New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and Denver. I also travel frequently for work all over the world.

We love Phoenix and am finally calling this place home. We would rather not live anywhere else. Of all the places I've lived, Phoenix is by far and away the most comfortable and happy place we've lived. In addition to the amazing freeways, homes, weather, cost of living, and entertainment venues, the people itself are a bonus

It seems that whoever the OP referenced must have had a bad breakup or lost their job to spew so much venom about a place. I would like to address many of the criticisms.

The people: I lived on the East Coast as you can see. I know what rude is. For anyone to call Phoenix residents rude is quite laughable. Rude is Philadelphia, Boston, New Jersey and parts of New York. Phoenix is a melting pot. The majority of people are from the upper Midwest, and West Coast. It has a Midwest mindset. People are grounded, approachable and friendly. There are also elite types in Arcadia, Scottsdale and Paradise Valley but every city has those. You cannot live in a large metropolitan area and not have some wealthy snobby people. Every city has that. In terms of "rednecky", I think the OP is confusing us with the deep southern states.

Characterless Sure, I think this is a valid criticism. It's a new city. It doesn't have much of an identity like New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Washington D.C. or New York for that matter. But I would argue that neither does Dallas, Houston, Austin, Denver and a host of other rapidly growing city. The reason the city may seem to lack character is that it is NEW. New cities have beautiful new amenities, modern roads, modern homes, upscale shopping, restaurants etc. Character is also a nice way to describe cities that are run down and rather poor. I will take characterless and upscale that unique and run down.

Some might call it "Orwellian", I would call it "Utopian" The city is ideal and you have to reach to criticize it. It's clean, safe, modern, with near perfect weather, lots of entertainment options, great jobs, a growing job market and hot housing market.

Awkward, insular lifestyle: This could not be more inaccurate. Due to the corporate nature of my position, we have traditional settled in downtowns and urban areas of large cities. Phoenix could not be more opposite of insular. People are constantly out and about. You see people riding bikes, running, playing outside, hiking, mountain climbing, traveling to Sedona and other northern cities, skiing on the weekends. It's a very engaging city. No one sits in their home here. If the couple referenced spent all day inside, what kind of people are they? All you need to do is look at your window and people are outdoors.

Disgusting tap water. The water is not great. I will admit that. I purchase bottled water, but I've done that wherever I've lived. I've never drank public water.

Subpar job market. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing job markets in the country. The growth and expansion here is unheard of. This is one of the reasons I was brought here. There are so many companies relocating here especially from California due to the low taxes, affordable cost of living and business friendly envrionment. Was the reference couple laid off? Did they lose their job?

Boring, lifeless downtown. Phoenix doesn't require a great downtown because the entertainment and dinner scene is spread throughout the city. It is not all congregated in one downtown like most cities. Tempe Scottsdale, Gilbert, and Chandler all of their own downtowns with great restaurants an night life. No one feels compelled to drive to downtown for entertainment. And downtown Phoenix is growing considerably and has an arts scene. We love Roosevelt Row among other places.

Phoenix is strictly a business district with little or nothing in the way of entertainment or nightlife.

Again, you have to question the credibility and knowledge of the person the OP referenced. Nightlife really? Did he or she not go to Scottsdale? What about downtown Tempe? The Arcadia/Biltmore corridor. People fly from all over the country to attend the Phoenix open. Halloween in Scottsdale is full of tourists who flew in to partake in the festivities.

Very little cultural diversity. For a city with such a large population, Phoenix has one of the largest Hispanic/Latino populations in the country. How does one make the statement there is little cultural diversity. It makes you wonder if the person left their home.

Ubiquitous soliciting and panhandling. I'm curious if the person lived in another metropolitan city? Santa Monica and New York were hands down number 1 for pan handling. San Francisco is also full of pan handlers. I've never seen nor experienced pan handling aside from the rare homeless person at the intersection holding a sign.

Crime/fraud. Arizona is #1 nationwide in identity theft and #1 in adult kidnappings.
There is no crime here especially relative to any large metropolitan area. There is really no area of Phoenix I don't fee safe in or would not drive in.

Household pests I've lived in cities where snakes, rats, mice were problems. You don't have that here. There are select areas where scorpions are more prevalent but I never worry about finding a gator in my pool or a wasp nest on patio like most of the cities I lived in.

Illegal immigration. Another big problem in Phoenix. Did the OP live in a rural area in middle America? Immigration is an issue in any large metropolitan city in the United States. If immigration is a problem, then you should really not live in any top 15 metropolitan area.

Atrocious public school system. Ranked at or near the bottom nationwide. My daughter attends Scottsdale Basis which was ranked the #1 public school in the country. I love the charter school system in Arizona. People found a way to use tax based dollars toward creating competitive schools.

Extremely conservative (both in politics and religion). Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty liberal. More suburban areas such as Gilbert and Mesa are more conservative. Phoenix is perfectly moderate. It is not conservative. Relative to California, it is conservative. Relative to Texas it is not. Politically, Phoenix is its own beast. It's very John McCain. Socially, it's fairly liberal but in terms of taxes, Phoenix prefers low taxes and curbing spending. Most of us who work for large corporations appreciate that about Phoenix. It's one reason we relocated one of our regional headquarters to Phoenix. It's also a reason many of my colleagues are relocating and plan to relocate their companies to Phoenix.

Worst, most unsafe and aggressive drivers in the country. I'll take Phoenix drivers over drivers in any east coast city and certainly over LA, SF and Chicago drivers.

To the original poster, do you really think Phoenix would have hottest job and housing market if it was such as a lousy place to live. Whoever you referenced really has some deep seated issues and probably wouldn't be happy anywhere.

Last edited by barca12; 02-09-2020 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-09-2020, 02:12 AM

66 posts, read 43,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
80% of those "cons" are pretty universal in explosive growth sun belt cities.

And I also got a chuckle out of the fact that this person only spent one summer in Phoenix. To me a lot of the problem of Phoenix is enduring the summer year after year. In my seven years in Arizona I found that the summer heat made me cranky because it lasted so long each year. And each year I got a little more impatient in my wait for October to arrive.

But Phoenix is really nice overall IMO if you are willing to focus on the good things that it offers and put up with the bad things. I am where I am now because of family but wouldn't object to moving back there. Arizona is a great place to explore and it's close to some wonderful stuff in the surrounding states as well as Mexico.

Most of us who work for companies and relocate frequently understand and expect that cities will be different. We recognize that all cities will offer pros and cons. We don't expect one city to be exactly like another city. And we are wise enough to recognize that a large urban densely populated city like Boston will be different than Phoenix. This post is just as naive as someone moving to New York from Phoenix and complaining about how cold it is and how the buildings are old and roads are jammed. Just seems very naive and immature to trash a city so heavily.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:42 PM

2,774 posts, read 893,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Affectionately known as a Car-B-Q
Love it! I've been here 39 years and never heard "Car-B-Q" before. It is true, and why, now that I'm retired I stay off the freeways until morning rush is over and before afternoon rush begins, especially in the summer. A tip to new arrivals, if you have to use the freeways during rush hour, stay in the right lane so you can eventually exit when it becomes a parking lot because of inevitable wrecks.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,070,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Love it! I've been here 39 years and never heard "Car-B-Q" before. It is true, and why, now that I'm retired I stay off the freeways until morning rush is over and before afternoon rush begins, especially in the summer. A tip to new arrivals, if you have to use the freeways during rush hour, stay in the right lane so you can eventually exit when it becomes a parking lot because of inevitable wrecks.
Just listen to Detour Dan on KTAR for traffic reports. I think he coined the phrase

Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 PM

640 posts, read 950,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
CONS

The people: rude, flaky, obnoxious, aggressive, uneducated, unsophisticated, meth-addicted, rednecky, racist and xenophobic. I need to stress that this is strictly my own opinion, but I found the locals to be at least one (or a combination of some or all) of the above.
Yeah, you lost me here. What a ridiculous statement.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:12 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,564,446 times
When did your friend live in PHX? From what they said, I'd say it's been a few years. Like some time between 2007-2010?

CONS

The people: rude, flaky, obnoxious, aggressive, uneducated, unsophisticated, meth-addicted, rednecky, racist and xenophobic. THIS HASN'T BEEN MY EXPERIENCE. MOST EVERYONE ONE I ENCOUNTER IS FRIENDLY. MAYBE YOUR FRIEND WASN'T FRIENDLY?

Characterless. CAN'T ARGUE THIS ONE BUT PHX IS GETTING BETTER.

Awkward, insular lifestyle. THE A/C TO A/C PART IS CORRECT. THE REST, NOT SO MUCH. IF YOU GET INVOLVED IN GROUPS AND HAVE INTERESTS, YOU WON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

The area is very spread-out and little to nothing is within walking distance of your house or office. THIS ISN'T UNIQUE TO PHOENIX, AND IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE.

Disgusting tap water. NO ARGUMENT HERE. OUR WATER *IS* NASTY.

Subpar job market. THE COMMENT ABOUT THE SUBPRIME MORTGAGE MAKES ME THINK YOUR FRIEND LIVED HERE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 2007-2010. PHX HAS HAD DECENT JOB GROWTH IN THE LAST 10 YRS INCLUDING HIGHER PAYING WHITE COLLAR AND TECH JOBS.

Boring, lifeless downtown. AGAIN, NO LONGER CORRECT.

Very little cultural diversity. SERIOUSLY? GOOGLE CULTURAL EVENTS PHOENIX AND YOU'LL FIND A LOT OF CULTURALLY DIVERSE EVENTS.

Urban sprawl and car-centric culture. TRUE, BUT PUBLIC TRANSIT ISN'T BAD CONSIDERING HOW SPREAD OUT THE METRO IS AND THE FACT THAT WE HAVE VERY FEW BUSINESS HUBS.

Ubiquitous soliciting and panhandling. TRUE, BUT NOT UNIQUE TO PHX. I ENCOUNTERED THIS IN ALBUQUERQUE, TAMPA, HOUSTON, DALLAS, MOBILE, MIAMI, FT LAUDERDALE. I THINK THE ONLY CITY I DIDN'T SEE PANHANDLERS WAS FT WALTON BEACH.

Crime/fraud. Arizona is #1 nationwide in identity theft and #1 in adult kidnappings. ACCORDING TO EXPERIAN, THE TOP STATE FOR IDENTITY THEFT IS MICHIGAN. FOLLOWED BY FLORIDA, CALIFORNIA, MARYLAND AND NEVADA. ARIZONA COMES IN AT #10. KEEP IN MIND, WE HAVE A LARGE SENIOR POPULATION AND THEY ARE THE EASIEST TARGET GROUP FOR IDENTITY THEFT.

Household pests, especially scorpions. THEY ARE PROBLEMATIC IN SOME AREAS. OTHERS NEVER HAVE ANY.

Illegal immigration. AGAIN, I THINK YOUR FRIEND LIVED HERE SOMETIME BETWEEN 2007-2010. IN 2008,AZ STARTED REQUIRING EMPLOYERS TO USE E-VERIFY. PASSAGE OF AZ SB 1070 IN 2010 RESULTED IN LARGE NUMBERS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS MOVING AWAY FROM THE METRO AREA. WE STILL HAVE ILLEGALS BUT EVERY METRO DOES.

High utility bills. TRUE, BUT THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO REDUCE THE BILLS, EVEN IF YOU RENT.

Atrocious public school system. NO KIDS, CAN'T COMMENT.

Extremely conservative (both in politics and religion). NOT ANY MORE. STATE IS FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE BUT SOCIALLY LIBERAL.

Worst, most unsafe and aggressive drivers in the country. LOL! I ENCOUNTER FAR, FAR, FAR WORSE DRIVERS IN DALLAS AND MIAMI. ACTUALLY NOT JUST DALLAS, THE WHOLE STATE OF TX DRIVES AGGRESSIVELY.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,219,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Just listen to Detour Dan on KTAR for traffic reports. I think he coined the phrase
He did coin the phrase Car-B-Que, but to mean a car on fire.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 AM

6,647 posts, read 4,940,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
now that I'm retired I stay off the freeways until morning rush is over and before afternoon rush begins, especially in the summer. A tip to new arrivals, if you have to use the freeways during rush hour, stay in the right lane so you can eventually exit when it becomes a parking lot because of inevitable wrecks.

I've come to largely avoid the freeways during rush hours. For the trips I make it doesn't save any time, and adds the extra uncertainty of possibly getting caught behind an accident and the traffic snarl it creates.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,996,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I've come to largely avoid the freeways during rush hours. For the trips I make it doesn't save any time, and adds the extra uncertainty of possibly getting caught behind an accident and the traffic snarl it creates.
I wish ALL snow-birds and retirees would do this. They clog up our roads and freeways DURING rush hour, and it's like WHY?? Schedule your $#@ during non-rush hour times please!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area