Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 01:09 PM

6,647 posts, read 4,935,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I wish ALL snow-birds and retirees would do this. They clog up our roads and freeways DURING rush hour, and it's like WHY?? Schedule your $#@ during non-rush hour times please!!
Just to be clear, I'm not a snowbird.

With that said, I'd guess that most snowbirds avoid peak traffic to the extent they are able. I expect the added rush-hour traffic in the winter is more about people here on vacations. They are here for a short time, often have specific events they want to attend, and they don't know the city well so they mostly use freeways to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 02:41 PM

163 posts, read 205,692 times
I thought the Pros are pretty accurate and the cons are stero-typical with some accuracy for sure but that list probably fits many other parts of the country as well. I'm originally from CT and then lived in the NY suburbs for many years before moving out here and there were drugs and weird people there also and I lived in higher income areas.

I work from home so I can't speak to the rush hour traffic and how it compares to back east but I know it's bad. I will say that the tap water is terrible here for some reason and the drivers are bad but I used to complain about the NY drivers too. I think a lot of it has to do with 4.5 million people living in the area.

I've been here since 2014 and am very happy I moved out here. I love the weather, the scenery, the fact that you don't have to drive 20-30 minutes to get to where you're going most of the time, and the lower cost of living.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,365,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If you don't like sports, maybe Phoenix isn't for you because we have all 4 pro sports franchises, as well as many other events throughout the year that are focused on sports. The other things you mentioned are just part of life in a large city. I don't care much about cultural diversity either, but I accept it. Your vision of Phoenix existed probably 40+ years ago, but not so much anymore.

I wouldn't be proud to live in a low income neighborhood ... in fact, I'd be setting my sights on moving to a better area.

By "top notch", do you mean public or private schools? If they went to public schools, then you must have low standards to believe that AZ (or anywhere in the nation) has great public education.
I didn't choose Phoenix, my job brought me here. And as a family man with kids, this city is perfect fit for me. Not bad either for single. In the past, I lived in 3 different cities (outside US) with atleast 7M population. They are cities that never sleeps, you can dine, shop and party literally 24 hours a day.

My zip code is one of the lowest in terms of average median income in Chandler. As a single income family, that's all we can afford back then. Ofcourse, we have plan of moving to better neighborhood as soon as my wife gets a job.

All my kids goes to charter school. Though they do not represent general AZ public education, all I'm saying is, there are choices if you want to get a topnotch education in AZ.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:14 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And I also got a chuckle out of the fact that this person only spent one summer in Phoenix. To me a lot of the problem of Phoenix is enduring the summer year after year. In my seven years in Arizona I found that the summer heat made me cranky because it lasted so long each year. And each year I got a little more impatient in my wait for October to arrive.
Very true. Some people don't mind the heat, and a small minority even LOVES the heat, but the majority of us are more like you: June through September are awful, and we can't wait for fall to arrive. But even so, that doesn't necessarily mean a person is stuck here for 4 hellish months. The nice thing about Phoenix's location is it's only a few hours' drive to completely different scenery & climate zones. For me, the best part about a Phoenix summer is getting away!

Old 02-11-2020, 03:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,373,425 times
Please don't move here with a negative attitude.

I grew up in Phoenix, really took it for granted. Moved around the world, lived in some of the most "popular" places, and still travel a lot to many other cities regularly.

But having grown and gotten wiser over the years, Phoenix is really an amazing city. It is underappreciated by most people who do not know what this place is like, and cherished by those who are wise enough and grateful enough to know what we have is a very special treasure.

I can live anywhere in the world right now, and I choose Phoenix because it's got the best combination of weather, quality of life, cost of living, and just plain long term sustainability to live here and enjoy the future.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:18 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,373,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Very true. Some people don't mind the heat, and a small minority even LOVES the heat, but the majority of us are more like you: June through September are awful, and we can't wait for fall to arrive. But even so, that doesn't necessarily mean a person is stuck here for 4 hellish months. The nice thing about Phoenix's location is it's only a few hours' drive to completely different scenery & climate zones. For me, the best part about a Phoenix summer is getting away!
Having spent this winter in Chicago and Portland, I love love the heat over the miserable cold and cold rainy weather.

I am looking forward to the 4 "hellish" months because they are so enjoyable. Don't have to shovel sunshine, and I look forward to getting into the pool. The days of staying indoors due to wind chill below zero and shoveling snow is so damn old.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:21 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,844,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
The area is very spread-out and little to nothing is within walking distance of your house or office. You'll find that you'll never really see or interact with your neighbors except to wave at them as your automatic garage door is closing. I always found it ironic how people ostensibly move to Phoenix for the weather, and yet once they arrive there, they really spend relatively little time outdoors.
I just came back from a trip this past weekend. Phoenix is the most spread-out American city I've ever seen, and I've been across Texas. Even in the inner-city neighborhoods just outside downtown, the streets are mostly six-lane suburban-style thoroughfares, and the houses sit on large lots on wide side streets. I can't even imagine living there and having your car break down or getting a DUI, especially in the summer. *shudders*

Old 02-12-2020, 04:38 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,795 times
everyone who has lived here all the time carries extra cold water in the car; obviously, cell phone is mandatory..
also, folks out here are actually helpful to strangers, so NO ONE would let you suffer alone if your car breaks down..

DUI? Hopefully you go right to jail; ZERO tolerance out here...REALLY ZERO..

Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,433,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I just came back from a trip this past weekend. Phoenix is the most spread-out American city I've ever seen, and I've been across Texas. Even in the inner-city neighborhoods just outside downtown, the streets are mostly six-lane suburban-style thoroughfares, and the houses sit on large lots on wide side streets. I can't even imagine living there and having your car break down or getting a DUI, especially in the summer. *shudders*
Phoenix proper is more dense than Dallas or Houston

Old 02-12-2020, 05:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,734,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And I also got a chuckle out of the fact that this person only spent one summer in Phoenix. To me a lot of the problem of Phoenix is enduring the summer year after year. In my seven years in Arizona I found that the summer heat made me cranky because it lasted so long each year. And each year I got a little more impatient in my wait for October to arrive.
I'll gladly deal with the Phoenix summer heat over the Oklahoma tornado season. At least the heat isn't going to kill you or rob you of everything you own in an instant as long as you aren't stupid.

I also think that once you account for cold weather and rainy weather, you have far more "nice" days per year in Arizona that you can actually be outside and do stuff. And good weather is reliable. In Oklahoma, you are lucky if you have one nice weekend per month. It's hard to plan anything outdoors in advance because there's always a high chance it will be too cold, too windy, or too stormy. Plus, I wouldn't say that OKC summers with temps in the low 100s and 90% humidity are much preferable to Phoenix summers. At least you get breaks in the heat in OKC. One drawback to the Phoenix summer is once it starts, it's relentless until late September/early October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I would argue that Phoenix itself is politically blue the closer you get to the center of it.
To me, Arizona feels culturally apolitical compared to Oklahoma so it's a different kind of "red state." People here don't wear their politics on their sleeves as much. In Oklahoma, being a conservative Republican was a big part of the culture and integral to people's identity, which can really make it feel oppressive to people who don't align with the majority. Around here, from my experience people don't care as much who you voted for and that's a good thing.

The one thing I wish was different politically is the laws on cannabis. This state is still very much in the 1980s on that issue but hopefully that changes after November's elections.

Last edited by bawac34618; 02-12-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area