Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM

9,675 posts, read 11,035,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
When I was in my 20's I often would drink and drive. I was lucky and I was never in an accident or arrested. However, my luck could have gone the other way and I killed someone or myself

Today, I do not drink so it's not an issue while driving.

I do my best to stay off the freeways late Friday/Saturday night because I realize there are drivers who have been drinking.
And some a lot more than legally allowed.
And soon, a lot more who are stoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,070,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
everyone who has lived here all the time carries extra cold water in the car; obviously, cell phone is mandatory..
also, folks out here are actually helpful to strangers, so NO ONE would let you suffer alone if your car breaks down..

DUI? Hopefully you go right to jail; ZERO tolerance out here...REALLY ZERO..
On trips we carry water...normally have drinks in a cooler as well. I would argue that Most people won't stop.

As far as zero tolerance on DUIs? Teenage and driving with a minor in the car, yes. Otherwise there is a BAC limit, just like most states.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,650,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
We have been offered a great job in Phoenix. We have asked friends about Phoenix and were forwarded this from a couple.

How true is it?
( Don't take any of this personally. Its obviously one person's opinion)

================================================== ===

Walking around barefoot? Would you do that in any city? Would you want to walk around barefoot in Los Angeles? That's an odd comment.

Sorry, but there are actually tons of mosquitoes - very vicious ones that have bitten me through denim jeans.

"Infrastructure" does not only mean roads, and I think it's debatable whether it's easy to navigate. (I'm still puzzled that although I'm on a major street, I've had people get lost who were a 5-10 minute drive away.)

Of the adjectives applied to residents - rude, flaky, obnoxious, aggressive, uneducated, unsophisticated, meth-addicted, rednecky, racist and xenophobic - in my experience the only broadly applicable ones are flaky, uneducated, unsophisticated. Or maybe it's just that my circle doesn't happen to include any redneck addicts. The rudeness here is a more indirect kind - less likely to start screaming profanity at you, but more likely to not return calls or stand you up.

The tap water depends on where you live, and I was surprised to find that Scottsdale, for instance, made determined efforts to improve their water.

I think your a/c would be running more than three months out of the year. More like five. Or more.

We're no longer solid red. There are not only more Democrats now, but more Republicans who have been voting Democrat. On the other hand, most people are so inert that you're not likely to get into casual political discussions, and most people pay no attention to local politics.

The comment about the insularity and Mexican/Indian influence are very right.

#1 in adult kidnapping? Wow. Never heard that.

Overall, a pretty accurate summary.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:47 AM

66 posts, read 43,149 times
Opinions posted on the internet particularly anonymous opinions are overwhelmingly negative. If I truly want to learn about something, I rarely rely on internet feedback as it is predictably very negative. They tend to rely on stereotypes and established perceptions ie "Phoenix is hot and conservative." That does not tell the entire story. There is so much nuance. Political conservatism can mean so many things. Context is needed as well. Someone moving from California will feel Phoenix is conservative. Someone like me who lived in Atlanta and Dallas may feel Phoenix is not that conservative.

If you are a sincere reader of the forum, meaning someone who is genuinely trying to gather information to make an informed decision, I would recommend experiencing something first and forming your own opinion. Keep an open mind. You will find that so many of the negatives you've read about any location is often hyperbole. The internet tends to attract trolls and others who are just seeking an outlet to vent. I also question the credibility of any author who writes something overwhelmingly negative about a city. I've spent time in Pittsburgh and there are many things to like about Pittsburgh. But you will find people who will obsess about finding things wrong with Pittsburgh.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
On trips we carry water...normally have drinks in a cooler as well. I would argue that Most people won't stop.

As far as zero tolerance on DUIs? Teenage and driving with a minor in the car, yes. Otherwise there is a BAC limit, just like most states.
Like I said, most people carry water in the car in the summer, one way or another..

As far as stopping to help someone, all I know is I would NEVER pass by someone who was broke down or stranded when the temps are 100+; I always stop and check on folks having vehicle issues when its over 100, or, if there are seniors sitting outside the car that is having problems..maybe its because I believe in helping others, and, that if you want good "karma", you gotta live by the golden rule; if not; then you reap what you sow.

and, my statement on zero tolerance is true; just link Mn-Born and Raised stated perfectly, I too have talked to some police friends, and they also told me that its at the cops discretion to stop/ticket/arrest you for impairment if they feel you are buzzed; his advice to ask for a blood test and say no to the "plank walking" when you know you are under the limit is great advice; or, the best advice of all is to not drive buzzed AT ALL!

Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,184,913 times
Sounds, like in your opinion, the cons outweigh the pros. Don't come. You won't be happy here.

It all comes down to attitude. If you have the right attitude, you can live anywhere.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:21 PM

94 posts, read 146,513 times
Phoenix is a blue city politically speaking. So the con list is basically incorrect on the objective observations. The subjective observations are just that, subjective. You could apply those subjective opinions to any large city.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:00 AM

872 posts, read 992,243 times
Were they living here 10 years ago??

The only info on kidnappings (which I have heard this stat mentioned before) I found are not recent so I am guessing we are not #1 anymore. It is something I think you would constantly hear about on the news but I don't see it.

The rest of the list seems like they have a real issue fitting into the lifestyle here. I get it. It's not a SF or NYC, etc. You cannot dump on a city because it's not another city. While NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA and SF do have sizable populations, they don't represent where MOST Americans live and are coming from when they come to Phoenix.

I hear plenty of horror stories of living in a congested city where there are too many people and yes everything is close or a train away, it's still a different way of living that is not for everyone. Driving 40 miles to a job is crazy too. However, I have found that besides the job, most of what you need is close to you here.

I have to disagree with the people are not outside as well. It is what you make it when you live anywhere. So what if people stay inside and others don't? I see a huge increase in people outside when the weather cools down and throgh the spring. People stay inside a little more in summer like they do in winter up north.

I think this list was more specifically toward Phx proper and not the valley maybe? While some true, it barely phases me as I don't see much of it so you have to remember there are 1.6 million people living just in Phx so chances are you will see it all.

Diversity is def here vs places like Scottsdale or Northern cities in AZ. Not sure why that's such a big deal but there are many religions and cultures here. They may not be in their own clusters necesarily because being diverse doesn;t mean there is a chinese section and an italian section to town. They seem to blend in here.

For me, QOL is a 180 from living in New England

Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,272,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
Opinions posted on the internet particularly anonymous opinions are overwhelmingly negative. If I truly want to learn about something, I rarely rely on internet feedback as it is predictably very negative. They tend to rely on stereotypes and established perceptions ie "Phoenix is hot and conservative." That does not tell the entire story. There is so much nuance. Political conservatism can mean so many things. Context is needed as well. Someone moving from California will feel Phoenix is conservative. Someone like me who lived in Atlanta and Dallas may feel Phoenix is not that conservative.

If you are a sincere reader of the forum, meaning someone who is genuinely trying to gather information to make an informed decision, I would recommend experiencing something first and forming your own opinion. Keep an open mind. You will find that so many of the negatives you've read about any location is often hyperbole. The internet tends to attract trolls and others who are just seeking an outlet to vent. I also question the credibility of any author who writes something overwhelmingly negative about a city. I've spent time in Pittsburgh and there are many things to like about Pittsburgh. But you will find people who will obsess about finding things wrong with Pittsburgh.
I lived in both of those cities and I feel that Phoenix is more conservative than those two due to the fact that both have a much higher minority population and those populations tend to lean left. Phoenix is much less religious but feels more conservative, although it has been trending purple lately.

The pros in the OP are pretty much on point. Some of the cons are accurate but there are some that are huge exaggerations. Overall the biggest negatives about Phoenix are the heat, urban sprawl/lack of walkability, relative lack of character for its size, and relatively weak job market for higher-paying positions. Recently, even the cost of living is becoming less of a plus.

Every city has pros and cons, it just depends on which criteria matter most to each person.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:31 PM

6,648 posts, read 4,940,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I hear plenty of horror stories of living in a congested city where there are too many people and yes everything is close or a train away, it's still a different way of living that is not for everyone. Driving 40 miles to a job is crazy too. However, I have found that besides the job, most of what you need is close to you here.

I have to disagree with the people are not outside as well. It is what you make it when you live anywhere. So what if people stay inside and others don't? I see a huge increase in people outside when the weather cools down and throgh the spring. People stay inside a little more in summer like they do in winter up north.

With respect to neighbors my experience here is no different than other places I've lived. I see some neighbors multiple times a week. Occasionally we stop and chat, other times just wave and say hi. Other neighbors I see very rarely and would not recognize them if I saw them in the grocery store.

While there are certainly walkable pockets here and there, I would find it difficult to exist here without a car. Again, this is little different than the vast majority of U.S cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area