Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2020, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 24,562 times

Advertisements

phoenix any day over the south florida, buggy, muggy, sweaty humid summers...… We live in North Dallas, and while its a lil humid here, id take a dry heat any day of the week. Atleast you are a sweatball and you can breathe!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM

564 posts, read 1,043,990 times
As you can tell by my screen name I'm from Miami, and I've lived in Central NC for many years. I've been to Phoenix twice in the past and part of me is still longing to return. For my age bracket (early 60s), this area in NC isn't for me. Haven't been to South Florida for several years but the So. FL area is not what it was growing up. FL in general is too humid for me. Was there 7 years ago to the Orlando and Tampa area. What I remember about Phoenix was the beautiful blue sky and sunshine every day. I think the dry hear is more tolerable.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:00 PM

66 posts, read 43,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
Hi All!

I have read through this entire post and I still need some reassurance. I grew up in South Florida and went to college in Miami. The heat was always an issue for me. I left as a young adult and moved around a bit, ending up in Atlanta for a decade. The summers in Atlanta we also too hot for me.

I currently live in the North and my husband has been given an opportunity to transfer to Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix several times and thought it was hot, however I have never been there in the summer. I actually think my husband will not like the heat so I have decided that we should visit Phoenix when its really hot. What month can I count one to be the hottest in your opinion?

Anyone with a similar experience to mine want to ease my fears? As I get older, I think of retiring to a place where I will not have to ensure snow and sub zero temps. This could be our opportunity to head West a bit early.

Also-if anyone has lived in Las Vegas, that is another consideration. I would love a comparison of Phoenix to Vegas weather.

Thanks in advance!
I think Phoenix and Las Vegas are too similar with Vegas being a tad bit cooler. I would not move to Phoenix if I were you. The summers are hot. I think all of us gravitate toward either heat or cold to some degree. You sound like someone who handles cold a lot better. I think a good option is southern California. It is more expensive to live there and you deal with other problems like traffic, cost of living, and congestion (both in terms of people and smog) but the weather is beautiful and their summers are very pleasant.

The best time to test the heat in Phoenix is the last week of June. That's usually when you receive the record breaking temps of 115 or more.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
The best time to test the heat in Phoenix is the last week of June. That's usually when you receive the record breaking temps of 115 or more.
115 breaks no records here in June, so if you are going to be alarmist, please at least be accurate..

"122 degrees
The highest temperature ever recorded at Phoenix was 122 degrees on June 26, 1990. Despite the increasing heat, the air is very dry with the relative humidity even slightly lower than that of May and the lowest of the year."
ASU.EDU

Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
115 breaks no records here in June, so if you are going to be alarmist, please at least be accurate..
Temps at 115 or higher wouldn't be record breaking during the 2nd half of June, but they would be during much of the first half. In fact, Phoenix doesn't even hit 110 until June 10th on average. Pretty much any time from about the middle part of June through August and even into early September is often the most likely period to have the hottest temps of the year.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:09 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

"122 degrees
The highest temperature ever recorded at Phoenix was 122 degrees on June 26, 1990. Despite the increasing heat, the air is very dry with the relative humidity even slightly lower than that of May and the lowest of the year."
ASU.EDU
OK the record breaking temps tend to fall in the last week of June. We get heat waves as well in July/Aug with 110+ days in between the humidity with monsoon season. To be fair, I am sure 115 is a record for at least some days in June, July and Aug. End of June does have a high threshold where many records sit at 118/119. Exception being the 26th.

I am sure to someone who has not been through a summer, the difference from 115-120 is not important anyway.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:03 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
My wife and I were in Miami two years ago in late July. The temps were in the 90s so you can imagine what the humidity was like! My wife hated it, but I did surprisingly well, considering I grew up with asthma. I actually appreciated the moisture on my skin.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Hell............ in April? I could see how some folks don't like our summers, but April???????
Personally, I look forward to summers but I'm a desert rat kind of guy. With the heat comes warm pool temps and the lakes are heavenly when it's hot.
Still, I understand why some might not handle the extreme heat very well.
But April?

Yeah...this made me laugh...or maverick is used to living in Northern Canada.

I used to live in Scottsdale (considering a move back there) and April weather is gorgeous.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,326,273 times
I've been to both. Phoenix is easier for me. No humidity, although something many in the Southwest don't really point out is the sun is oppressive during the day in the summer. To escape it, simply get into the shade.

There's no escaping Florida's humidity outside. And AFAIK, air conditioners don't make it less humid inside.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
The biggest difference for me is being able to get in the car and drive 2 hours North and be in 30+ degree cooler weather for quick weekend getaways. Can’t do that from S. FL. I’m not even sure you can fly 2 hours and find that kind of temperature relief.
Yeah, I'm NOT driving 2 hours one way every weekend just to escape the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area