U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2020, 03:42 PM
 
7,569 posts, read 4,787,378 times
Reputation: 7007

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
It can be and I think it will evolve into that type of city but it's going to take a major shift in attitude by locals. A sizable portion of the population still prefers to keep Phoenix small. They perceive development as a threat to their quality of life. You see this tug of war between progressives who seek growth and conservatives who wish to maintain the status quo. I'm torn. I don't miss smog and traffic of Los Angeles but I also miss having a major international airport and higher paying corporate jobs that larger cities possess. You can see the city evolving and adopting the more progressive mindset but it's going to take some time before the city is really galvanized and buys completely into that vision.

For me an example of this is Terminal 2 being torn down. In another city, they would not be content with allowing a former terminal to turn into a glorified bus stop. They would tear it down and rebuild it or make something else of that space. In Phoenix, they were content with removing it and allowing Terminal 3 to absorb the other airlines. That is a very a much an Arizona/Phoenix like approach to resolving a problem. You would not see that in another large metropolitan city. They would remove the terminal in lieu of a more modern terminal
It's got to be smart and vertical growth. Growth as most know Phoenix means generic sprawl which adds little value to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
154 posts, read 40,894 times
Reputation: 274
A big difference between Phoenix and Dubai is religion and that would be a no-go for me.
Islam is the official religion in the UAE and nearly all mosques are subsidized by their government. Anyone who speaks against islam can be thrown in the hoosegow or deported.
Phoenix was recently rated the 5th least religious city in the nation.
America has total freedom of religion and a growing segment that is non-religious or unaffiliated. https://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/...ess-religious/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2020, 05:02 PM
 
2,118 posts, read 4,504,144 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
A big difference between Phoenix and Dubai is religion and that would be a no-go for me.
Islam is the official religion in the UAE and nearly all mosques are subsidized by their government. Anyone who speaks against islam can be thrown in the hoosegow or deported.
Phoenix was recently rated the 5th least religious city in the nation.
America has total freedom of religion and a growing segment that is non-religious or unaffiliated. https://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/...ess-religious/
Just the cost of doing business and keeping your virtual slave labor from speaking out or anyone disagreeing with those in charge. Probably still a win/win in the OPs view!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2020, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
154 posts, read 40,894 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Just the cost of doing business and keeping your virtual slave labor from speaking out or anyone disagreeing with those in charge. Probably still a win/win in the OPs view!

I know.
They claim the UAE is 1 of the less hostile parts of the middle east, but it's a sheikhdom which is still pretty close to a dictatorship.
I'll take Phoenix any day over any city in the middle east no matter how rich and world-class it's supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
517 posts, read 234,993 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
It can be and I think it will evolve into that type of city but it's going to take a major shift in attitude by locals. A sizable portion of the population still prefers to keep Phoenix small. They perceive development as a threat to their quality of life. You see this tug of war between progressives who seek growth and conservatives who wish to maintain the status quo. I'm torn. I don't miss smog and traffic of Los Angeles but I also miss having a major international airport and higher paying corporate jobs that larger cities possess. You can see the city evolving and adopting the more progressive mindset but it's going to take some time before the city is really galvanized and buys completely into that vision.

For me an example of this is Terminal 2 being torn down. In another city, they would not be content with allowing a former terminal to turn into a glorified bus stop. They would tear it down and rebuild it or make something else of that space. In Phoenix, they were content with removing it and allowing Terminal 3 to absorb the other airlines. That is a very a much an Arizona/Phoenix like approach to resolving a problem. You would not see that in another large metropolitan city. They would remove the terminal in lieu of a more modern terminal
I'm not so sure it's a tug of war between conservatives and progressives. I'm conservative and I would love to see Phoenix transform into a global city. But it has to be done in a smart way. Not by raising taxes and government subsidies. It's about private investment. Either way, I don't think it will ever happen. We have no major waterways here (or any for that matter). I can't think of any "global" cities not located near a major water source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 11:49 AM
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
6,283 posts, read 9,392,322 times
Reputation: 7115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I'm not so sure it's a tug of war between conservatives and progressives. I'm conservative and I would love to see Phoenix transform into a global city. But it has to be done in a smart way. Not by raising taxes and government subsidies. It's about private investment. Either way, I don't think it will ever happen. We have no major waterways here (or any for that matter). I can't think of any "global" cities not located near a major water source.
Exactly, and that's how Dubai became what it is: the free enterprise system. It also has one of the lowest crime rates of any large city in the world. Many so called "progressive" cities are rampant with crime, homelessness, or both. Phoenix doesn't have to copy Dubai, but we could take lessons from them on how to build a true world class city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,111 posts, read 1,013,922 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
It can be and I think it will evolve into that type of city but it's going to take a major shift in attitude by locals. A sizable portion of the population still prefers to keep Phoenix small. They perceive development as a threat to their quality of life. You see this tug of war between progressives who seek growth and conservatives who wish to maintain the status quo. I'm torn. I don't miss smog and traffic of Los Angeles but I also miss having a major international airport and higher paying corporate jobs that larger cities possess. You can see the city evolving and adopting the more progressive mindset but it's going to take some time before the city is really galvanized and buys completely into that vision.

For me an example of this is Terminal 2 being torn down. In another city, they would not be content with allowing a former terminal to turn into a glorified bus stop. They would tear it down and rebuild it or make something else of that space. In Phoenix, they were content with removing it and allowing Terminal 3 to absorb the other airlines. That is a very a much an Arizona/Phoenix like approach to resolving a problem. You would not see that in another large metropolitan city. They would remove the terminal in lieu of a more modern terminal
If I'm the Phoenix mayor, it's so hard to plan a vision for this city. On one side, Phoenix is highly regarded for it's being a "retirement haven", lower cost of living, lower population density etc.. On another, the city is also attracting new businesses and millennial population who wants to establish a career. On average, 200 people moving to Phoenix in a day. That's a lot! Like you, I'm also torn. I hate driving in LA, I hate the long queue at the gas stations and supermarkets.

Speaking, what happened to the planned smart city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
517 posts, read 234,993 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Exactly, and that's how Dubai became what it is: the free enterprise system. It also has one of the lowest crime rates of any large city in the world. Many so called "progressive" cities are rampant with crime, homelessness, or both. Phoenix doesn't have to copy Dubai, but we could take lessons from them on how to build a true world class city.
I'm not so sure Dubai was built by the free enterprise system. I could be wrong about this, but I did a little research and it's a little more complicated than that. The oil company there is State-owned. Also, I know the sheikhs and princes have a lot of private equity funds that they invest in, but were those funds initially funded via the government oil revenue? I'm not saying I know everything about this, but the government and private enterprise seems to be very intertwined.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd honestly like to know more about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,879 posts, read 2,773,752 times
Reputation: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I'm not so sure it's a tug of war between conservatives and progressives. I'm conservative and I would love to see Phoenix transform into a global city. But it has to be done in a smart way. Not by raising taxes and government subsidies. It's about private investment. Either way, I don't think it will ever happen. We have no major waterways here (or any for that matter). I can't think of any "global" cities not located near a major water source.
Should have annexed the northern part of Sonora and moved Phoenix where Rocky Point is currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2020, 05:04 PM
 
7,316 posts, read 13,127,952 times
Reputation: 8101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Should have annexed the northern part of Sonora and moved Phoenix where Rocky Point is currently.
Sure but then half the current residents wouldn’t be able to afford it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top