U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 03:53 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,510,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Most of the thread in City vs City where Phoenix go up against another city, people are always complaining how bland and beige Phoenix is. We cannot change the landscape of Phoenix but we can change it's vibe. Dubai is perfect example to that.
Sure you can. AstroTurf for days. But really I honestly don’t understand why AstroTurf isn’t more of a thing in the Valley. I know it’s increasing but still nowhere near what I’d expect. It’s lower cost overall and saves a finite resource and looks about one million times better than brown dirt and rocks.

To answer the question I’m guessing the answer is TAXES. Arizona has astronomically low taxes compared to most well established states. Even lower compared to other countries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 04:20 PM

7,921 posts, read 5,694,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Sure you can. AstroTurf for days. But really I honestly don’t understand why AstroTurf isn’t more of a thing in the Valley. I know it’s increasing but still nowhere near what I’d expect. It’s lower cost overall and saves a finite resource and looks about one million times better than brown dirt and rocks.

To answer the question I’m guessing the answer is TAXES. Arizona has astronomically low taxes compared to most well established states. Even lower compared to other countries.
I think Astro turf looks terrible. Either go with grass and trees or own it and go natural.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:17 PM

7,154 posts, read 10,446,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think Astro turf looks terrible. Either go with grass and trees or own it and go natural.
Astro Turf looks fine for maybe a year or two, but usually becomes faded over a short period of time due to the intense sun & heat. If it's used a lot by pets & kids, it'll usually wear out even faster. Artificial turf doesn't have the same cooling effect as real grass or shade trees do. Besides, I thought Astro Turf went the same way as the the Ford Pinto, pet rocks, and disco. I remember it being a fad in the 1970s, but then it seemed to fade out of existence, and now it's back again for whatever strange reason.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:08 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,510,719 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Ocotillo actually has a ban on AstroTurf likely for that very reason. There are grades of AstroTurf though so I imagine some look way nicer than others? I also hate yard work and am slightly an environmental type so for those reasons alone it seems reasonable.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,660,142 times
Quote:

I've got a neighbor who has a small patch of it in their front yard and it's been there for at least a decade now. You can tell it's fake looking at it closely but driving by at 25mph, no way anyone knows it hasn't faded much from what I can gather. He also some trees and bushes in the front yard, as those shed it collects on the grass and looks rather natural.

There's another house that has this old green painted rock, that looks terrible. I'm a fan of xeriscape myself, much prefer a front yard with the various colorful flowering plants versus silly grass. We do keep a small patch of grass in the back yard for the dog but it's like 5' by 8' and that's all I care to deal with.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:10 PM

7,921 posts, read 5,694,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I've got a neighbor who has a small patch of it in their front yard and it's been there for at least a decade now. You can tell it's fake looking at it closely but driving by at 25mph, no way anyone knows it hasn't faded much from what I can gather. He also some trees and bushes in the front yard, as those shed it collects on the grass and looks rather natural.

There's another house that has this old green painted rock, that looks terrible. I'm a fan of xeriscape myself, much prefer a front yard with the various colorful flowering plants versus silly grass. We do keep a small patch of grass in the back yard for the dog but it's like 5' by 8' and that's all I care to deal with.
The problem is that it’s usually too perfect looking. Grass here never looks perfect and that’s fine but that’s what makes it look real

Old 11-20-2021, 12:23 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,456,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not in the summer where temps easily exceed 115 regularly. Phoenix can reach those levels from time to time as well ... so therefore, neither city is very outdoor friendly from about June through September. But I would take a wild guess that the inability to walk outside during the hot season can be offset easier in Dubai by things like their indoor ski resort, aquarium & underwater zoo, Burj Khalifa observation tower, or even a trip to one of the many beaches. Phoenix does have better access to high country getaways to escape the heat.
I wonder how profitable an indoor ski resort in Phoenix would do? Might save the drive to Snowbowl resort with the current above average temperature fall season.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:46 PM

29,877 posts, read 32,983,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why on earth would Phoenix or the people who live there need, want, or care about getting a Dubai "vibe"?
That's what I was thinking.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:51 PM

29,877 posts, read 32,983,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Exploitation of foreign labor is debatable. Sure, there maybe some violations but the fact is, they earn much more in Dubai than in their home country. It's still a win-win situation, these workers are paying taxes to the city. In Phoenix, we having illegal immigrants who gets their income but don't pay taxes.
I suspect you're living in a fantasy world. Illegal immigrants in the U.S. aren't living well, but compared to the slave labor of Dubai, they're living in luxury. There are reports of workers in Dubai not even being paid even the pittance they were promised.

Old 11-21-2021, 06:17 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,456,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I suspect you're living in a fantasy world. Illegal immigrants in the U.S. aren't living well, but compared to the slave labor of Dubai, they're living in luxury. There are reports of workers in Dubai not even being paid even the pittance they were promised.
Aren't most of the immigrants that work in Dubai are from India?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area