Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:51 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh lordy. Face masks are not useless. Every patient in droplet precautions requires every health care worker and visitor to wear one when in the room. The problem comes when you don't use the proper technique in removing it and touch the contaminated area. Grab it by the side of one ear and break the straps. Don't touch it anywhere else and wash your hands for 20 seconds after you dispose of it. The N95 face mask is what's used in hospitals to protect against TB among other droplet diseases. I had to pass a test fit for one every year when I was working and show how to properly dispose of it. I'm looking for some now. If everyone in the general public goes out and buys them up? The fear is that there won't be enough for first res-ponders.

We have ammo and a little more than two weeks worth of food if it hits hard here.
Also...N95 masks would protect you from inhaling/exhaling contaminants. The crappy little paper masks that people are hording will not. Just walking around looking stupid with a dust mask on.

Anyway...we already armor plated and sealed the house up. Pulled the kids out of school, quit our jobs and stocked up enough food and ammo to wait it out. If the Bird Flu, Mad Cow Disease, Swine Flu, SARS and AIDS taught us anything it is to freak out first and ask questions later.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 03-02-2020 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 08:18 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
you forgot about Ebola..

Old 03-02-2020, 09:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you forgot about Ebola..
I still haven't left my house because of the AZ killer bees! They are STILL here. https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...-in-the-valley

Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
THANK YOU. Although you got one thing wrong: TB is NOT a droplet disease; it's an airborne disease. Flu and the common cold are droplet diseases. I don't think they know yet which one coronavirus is, but we see all these people wearing N95's (and other protective gear); hence the fear.

What am I doing to prepare? Stocking up on cat food, mainly.
I think you should read about TB. on the CDC website.

"Tuberculosis can exist in the air for up to six hours, during which another person may inhale it."

"Is T.B. airborne or droplet?"
"Mycrobacterium tuberculosis is transmitted in airborne particles called droplet nuclei..........."
So I'm sorry, but you are wrong. I've been in many T.B. positive rooms in my 25 years as a Respiratory Therapist doing nebulizers. It always makes your heart sink when you do one before the person tests positive without the proper equipment, like in ER and you see them the next day with that red Droplet Precautions sign on the door. We would have to be tested every 6 months.

Don't ask me how I never tested positive and some of my coworkers did. One went on to develop a full blown case. This SARS CoV19 is much more contagious. I'm glad I'm retired. Mistakes will be made in hospitals if this bug becomes as overwhelming as it has over seas. Look at Washington State now. Already two deaths, a nursing home scare, Several schools closed, and more cases of community spread. Seven firefighters were exposed to the nursing home patients and are now in quarantine, as well as medics. Source: KIRO7 Coronavirus: 10 King County cases, including 2 deaths,3 cases in Snohomish County.

SARS CoV19 makes T.B. look like child's play.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Are the liquor stores sold out yet, gotta stock up dontcha know.
You laugh, but vodka can be a great sanitizer when the inevitable hand sanitizer shortage occurs. Shot for the hands, shot for the mouth.

But to address the OP I will move on with my life. As a generally healthy person I have nothing to fear. If I catch it, I will stay home, go on a streaming binge and have some soup.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 AM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think you should read about TB. on the CDC website.

"Tuberculosis can exist in the air for up to six hours, during which another person may inhale it."

"Is T.B. airborne or droplet?"
"Mycrobacterium tuberculosis is transmitted in airborne particles called droplet nuclei..........."
So I'm sorry, but you are wrong. I've been in many T.B. positive rooms in my 25 years as a Respiratory Therapist doing nebulizers. It always makes your heart sink when you do one before the person tests positive without the proper equipment, like in ER and you see them the next day with that red Droplet Precautions sign on the door. We would have to be tested every 6 months.
Haha, I'm also a respiratory therapist (27 years). There is a big difference that most people don't understand: The droplet size for TB is smaller than flu droplets (we don't know yet about coronavirus); hence the particles stay suspended in the air longer, making them airborne. My point is that TB precautions are airborne but not droplet. You can't get TB from touching something that a TB patient has touched or sneezed on. It isn't just about the nebulizers; no one was allowed into a TB patient's room (neb treatment or not) without the correct mask, as I'm sure you weren't. Again, TB precautions are AIRBORNE not DROPLET. We'd not only have airborne precaution signs on doors but the patients would be in a negative pressure room.

Little-known fact about TB: Sunlight (or any UV light) kills the bacilli.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
boy, its like you have been watching me these last few days!

after I do all that, I get on my inversion table, and let all the fluids in my body run out of my nose, in case there is any residual corona virus in my bodily fluids..

If all that doesn't cure me, I turn on Judge Judy, and she calms me down..

wase4711……,

I have some bad news for you...…..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/media...cli/index.html

Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM

390 posts, read 307,089 times
In preparation, I put up aluminum foil everywhere, McAfee style . I believe I will be safe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...evade-CIA.html

Old 03-02-2020, 12:37 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
You laugh, but vodka can be a great sanitizer when the inevitable hand sanitizer shortage occurs. Shot for the hands, shot for the mouth.

But to address the OP I will move on with my life. As a generally healthy person I have nothing to fear. If I catch it, I will stay home, go on a streaming binge and have some soup.
I wonder how many White Claws are needed to properly sanitize hands, for the ladies.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:05 PM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
I would yawn. 700 die annually in Arizona from regular old flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area