U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2020, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
4 posts, read 2,242 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has moved to PHX area from the NE with dogs, and how? Basically I am considering a move from Philadelphia with my wife (we are mid-40s, no kids) and our two dogs. Both are 8 years old, 50# mutts that are lab mixes, both have a small percentage of terrier. So, the issue I see is how to get them to PHX. I am not sure if they can fly cargo on a major airline, as most don’t allow terrier mixes (atleast that is what it seems), so the other options would be driving or maybe a private shipping company, but I don’t see my dogs liking the shipping scenario. Driving seems like very long 36 hrs (3-5 days). Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and has any insight/helpful hints. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2020, 11:16 AM
 
7,475 posts, read 13,192,704 times
Reputation: 8229
Just bite the bullet and drive. It’s a one-time inconvenience. Don’t ship your dogs like cargo, especially not with the warmer months approaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 AM
 
4,379 posts, read 9,166,988 times
Reputation: 4066
I moved from TX to FL, and back from FL to TX when I had an Eskie. He was fine on the trip. I stopped regularly to let him out and for both of us to walk around. Most larger state rest stops have a pet area. He was also handy in that it allowed me to skip a hotel one night, I just pulled off at one of the large state rest stops, put the seat back and slept. No one was going to bother someone with a 60 lb dog on the car with them.

I've also moved from S FL to NM with a cat, who was also fine on the trip. Be sure to check out your route ahead of time and make reservations at pet friendly motels/hotels. That helps.

If your dogs like to ride in the car, they'll be fine. Under no circumstances would I fly my pets in the cargo hold of a plane or use a shipping service. They deserve better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
32,337 posts, read 42,285,377 times
Reputation: 21239
I drive my dogs to the east and back every year. 3-4 days. They love it. New things to sniff and see. You have to slum it a bit - stay in Motel 6s along the way or you pay through the nose for supposedly pet friendly hotels. I take my cat too, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 AM
 
Location: on the wind
10,948 posts, read 4,950,841 times
Reputation: 36120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ika5 View Post
Hello - I am wondering if anyone has moved to PHX area from the NE with dogs, and how? Basically I am considering a move from Philadelphia with my wife (we are mid-40s, no kids) and our two dogs. Both are 8 years old, 50# mutts that are lab mixes, both have a small percentage of terrier. So, the issue I see is how to get them to PHX. I am not sure if they can fly cargo on a major airline, as most don’t allow terrier mixes (atleast that is what it seems), so the other options would be driving or maybe a private shipping company, but I don’t see my dogs liking the shipping scenario. Driving seems like very long 36 hrs (3-5 days). Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and has any insight/helpful hints. Thank you in advance.
Is this a permanent move? Don't you have car(s) to move as well? Driving with them is totally reasonable and probably best. Why make things more complicated? Either contract with a mover to haul your household goods and drive your cars, or rent a truck and drive one car with the dogs. Embrace the move...look at the drive as a way to see the continent. Use hotels that accept pets along the way.

FWIW, I've moved long distance with a dog several times. Always drove with them. No problems. You do want to plan for weather however. If you have timing flexibility use it.

Of course dogs can fly on major airlines in cargo. Hundreds fly successfully every year. There are risks no matter how you travel with pets. Check with each specific airline about the requirements and restrictions. Some may only restrict certain breeds (short-faced breeds) depending on time of year, but they can also impose a short term embargo because of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 11:59 AM
 
7,475 posts, read 13,192,704 times
Reputation: 8229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is this a permanent move? Don't you have car(s) to move as well? Driving with them is totally reasonable and probably best. Why make things more complicated? Either contract with a mover to haul your household goods and drive your cars, or rent a truck and drive one car with the dogs. Embrace the move...look at the drive as a way to see the continent. Use hotels that accept pets along the way.

FWIW, I've moved long distance with a dog several times. Always drove with them. No problems. You do want to plan for weather however. If you have timing flexibility use it.

Of course dogs can fly on major airlines in cargo. Hundreds fly successfully every year. There are risks no matter how you travel with pets. Check with each specific airline about the requirements and restrictions. Some may only restrict certain breeds (short-faced breeds) depending on time of year, but they can also impose a short term embargo because of weather.
Of course there are risks involved with everything. Treating a dog as cargo and throwing it in the hull of a jet is far riskier than a car ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
4 posts, read 2,242 times
Reputation: 19
Thanks for the replies. I agree and was never comfortable with the thought of our dogs being placed in cargo. Way today risky and would surely traumatize them. They love car rides, so that makes the most sense for sure, and we will need the car anyway as someone noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Metro Area
588 posts, read 410,408 times
Reputation: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just bite the bullet and drive. It’s a one-time inconvenience. Don’t ship your dogs like cargo, especially not with the warmer months approaching.
I second this driving would be so much better. Husband was going to drive cross-country with our dog and 2cats but changed his mind last minute - we were able to take the cats with us on flight but our poor terrier mix had to travel in cargo. Since we were moving in a hotter month (july) - our dog had a different flight with 2 stop overs and had to arrive after 8pm or so because the cargo is not climate controlled. We drove back to airport very late that night to pick her up from some off the beaten path cargo pickup and she was pretty stressed out for a few days... not good for them.... I would say if you can rent an rv and make a nice trip out of it stopping frequently and enjoy the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2020, 05:39 PM
 
Location: In the hot spot!
3,539 posts, read 5,234,660 times
Reputation: 3452
Glad you decided to drive them and not ship them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2020, 12:50 AM
Status: "Perpetually Perplexed" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Phoenix
46 posts, read 8,521 times
Reputation: 157
We drove from Boston to Phoenix in December with our cats. We drove 5 hours the first afternoon after the moving truck left, then four 10-hour days. Each night we stayed at a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn. Most of the ones along the interstates are pet friendly, just be sure to confirm a pet room when making the reservation. I planned the route and booked the rooms about a week in advance and prices were reasonable - around $70 in eastern Pennsylvania and Indiana, $60 in southwest Missouri, and $50 in eastern New Mexico - and that was with the $10 or $20 pet fee added. All the rooms were decent and they all had a free breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top