Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times

Advertisements

It is a well established fact in AZ traffic law that the keep right except to pass has a higher priority than speed limit. It is too bad that the OP doesn't take the time to actually find that FACT for themselves. Perhaps it is that bit of arrogance that some folks from that one certain state seem to exhibit.

But also to add to the actual question, I-8 is a bit better, but the most efficient way to get from thereto PHX is to take SR 85 north of Gila Bend which would still put you in the West Phoenix traffic.

Now with some great creativity and map study, one could take back roads/heys almost the whole way from Temecula to Phoenix, no freeways at all. It'll be scenic they said. It'll be fun they said. And it just might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 05:16 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
This is a discussion of I-8 vs. I-10. Not a discussion of driving habits. Even the Automotive forum has a sticky about "No more threads about left-lane (passing-lane) driving."

Old 03-11-2020, 06:42 PM

811 posts, read 621,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalone4 View Post
We'll be leaving on the 25th of this month...
Copy that.
Thanks for the warning.

Have fun in the twisties on I-8 or the 90mph average speed in the left lane on I-10. Either one will have mum reaching for her heart meds.

BTW: Professional, insured auto transport from Temecula-Phx is $350. (Unless her car is a stretch limo or Weinermobile.) Be a good son and just pay it.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
I don't think that they will find I-8 much different from I-10, as far as speeders are concerned. I've been passed by countless trucks pulling toy haulers headed to the dunes. I only use the left lane for passing, more to be courteous and safe, than abiding to a law. Weird to think that attitudes on similar highways, serving the same population centers, would be different

Old 03-13-2020, 03:42 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I have driven the I-10 more times than I can remember and I don't ever remember getting flipped off. I drive about 5 mph over the limit most times. And there are always at least 2 lanes. I would think that there would be less stress on a mostly straight highway than navigating San Diego traffic. Plus the road from Gila Bend is mostly 2 lane.
The road from Gila Bend is not mostly 2 lane. It used to be the most dangerous highway in AZ, but it's been 4 lane divided for years now. There is a stretch starting a couple miles north of Gila Bend and then on to the town that is 2 lane, but that's all. The part in town is 4 lane, though its posted 35 and sometimes enforced.

There's a great Italian restaurant in Gila Bend too!

Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 PM

811 posts, read 621,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There's a great Italian restaurant in Gila Bend too!
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Tell us more.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:55 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Tell us more.
read all about it.

https://www.arizonahighways.com/eat-...g/little-italy

Old 03-14-2020, 12:06 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
I-8 for sure, I hate the I-10. We take it all the time.....there are plenty of rest stops and the traffic is always pretty mellow.....
Good for you for being a good son....(although I would hardly call 67 elderly...prob because i will be there soon :-)

Old 03-17-2020, 05:27 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,559 times
Will she be okay going through the Gila Mountains east of Yuma? They aren't much, but they are pretty curvy for someone that is a "defensive driver."

Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,139 times
I drive to SoCal at least 20 times per year. I would pick I-10 over I-8 every time.

There are very windy mountains out of San Diego onto I-8, that can be very unnerving for elderly drivers.

There are very remote areas that feel desolate, and cell phone coverage is not as good as I-10.

Finally, there are the border patrol checkpoints and random stops by a bored highway patrol that can make the trip unpleasant.

I used to drive the I-8 but no longer, not after a few unpleasant experiences on the I-8 with bored law enforcement looking for an excuse to pull people over, and the lack of good cellular coverage and as many rest stop options.

Having collectively driven about 100 times on the I-10 vs 40 times on the I-8, I definitely recommend I-10 to everyone I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area