Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 07:51 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The AZ state health dept says modeling shows we could have 70000 people walking around with COVID-19 right now.

Walking around doesn't mean severe if someone isn't coughing they aren't spreading it. Italy and china are different cultures then here they have large extended families in high density living. Americans put their parents in a nursing home, or they live in Sun City we drive our pickup trucks that get 14 mpg to work and back instead of taking public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 08:06 PM

66 posts, read 43,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Walking around doesn't mean severe if someone isn't coughing they aren't spreading it. Italy and china are different cultures then here they have large extended families in high density living. Americans put their parents in a nursing home, or they live in Sun City we drive our pickup trucks that get 14 mpg to work and back instead of taking public transportation.
I agree with you. American culture also emphasizes hygiene. Hand washing is emphasized here. Every place has a soap dispenser with paper towels (not a towel that is reused in a dispenser which is common in Europe). We clean our tables with disinfectant sprays (409 or Lysol. In Europe, they wipe down tables with a towel and water (if they wipe them down at all). Americans also emphasize bathing daily whereas in Europe, it's not uncommon for Europeans to bathe every other day or 2-3 times per week. They lampoon Americans for being obsessed with bathing and applying cologne and perfume. The culture is different.

I don't mean for this to come across as being smug. I'm not suggesting Americans are superior in every way; it's not one of those posts. There are many behaviors or attitudes that I prefer in Europe over the United States.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:07 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
I agree with you. American culture also emphasizes hygiene. Hand washing is emphasized here. Every place has a soap dispenser with paper towels (not a towel that is reused in a dispenser which is common in Europe). We clean our tables with disinfectant sprays (409 or Lysol. In Europe, they wipe down tables with a towel and water (if they wipe them down at all). Americans also emphasize bathing daily whereas in Europe, it's not uncommon for Europeans to bathe every other day or 2-3 times per week. They lampoon Americans for being obsessed with bathing and applying cologne and perfume. The culture is different.

I don't mean for this to come across as being smug. I'm not suggesting Americans are superior in every way; it's not one of those posts. There are many behaviors or attitudes that I prefer in Europe over the United States.
Here in the US, we are more "huggy" and often handshake than say China. Our son flew from Taiwan to Boston. Flight attendants wore masks and changed their gloves often. He flew from Boston to LAX in 1st class. Attendants are handling the foodwith their hands etc.

Re: masks. Careful what you read.

"South Korea and Hong Kong are containing the virus. Notice how many surgical masks they are using?
From https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

"....Dr. William Schaffner, a professor in Vanderbilt University’s Division of Infectious Diseases, who says that medical masks commonly worn by members of the public do not fit snugly around the nose, cheeks and chin.....
But, David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who studied the 2002 to 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) extensively, says it’s “common sense” that wearing a mask would protect against infectious diseases like COVID-19.

“If you are standing in front of someone who is sick, the mask will give some protection,” Hui says. “The mask provides a barrier from respiratory droplets, which is predominantly how the virus spreads.”

Old 03-14-2020, 01:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Aloha Festival is still on, maybe it won't be as crowded. Still going. Ostrich Fest is still on as well as St Pats Day events. No need to panic but I understand that being completely careless can be just as bad. Hell, at that rate you would more likely get the flu and std or food poisoning. Take precautions as you SHOULD anyways. Good weekend for a hike as well.

Ostrich Festival and St Pats parade were canceled yesterday. List of upcoming events that are canceled:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/va...virus-pandemic

Expect more cancelations.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The AZ state health dept says modeling shows we could have 70000 people walking around with COVID-19 right now.
Would this be the same Department of Health that discouraged schools closing because the virus is "so much milder in children"?

Old 03-14-2020, 03:13 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Would this be the same Department of Health that discouraged schools closing because the virus is "so much milder in children"?
How about the head of the Health Department of the state's most populous county (that also discouraged county schools closing) who the press has been unable to locate for a week because she is supposedly out of town attending "meetings"? Maybe she is with the governor. He is MIA as well.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
How about the head of the Health Department of the state's most populous county (that also discouraged county schools closing) who the press has been unable to locate for a week because she is supposedly out of town attending "meetings"? Maybe she is with the governor. He is MIA as well.

"ABC15 has learned that Maricopa County's Public Health Director is on planned paid time off with her family, but is staying in frequent communication with staff, we're told."
Yeah, umm, sorry, time to quit or get back to work.
Taxpayers at every level fund government and bureaucracies to be 100% committed in times of crisis. If you can't be there at a time like this, then you are the definition of non-essential.
Maybe this will be a wake up to reduce the size and power of the county government?

Old 03-14-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I noticed that. Ducey started out with a bang but seems to have fizzled and downright disappeared now that cases are increasing.

For those of you who see no need to cancel school, large gathering events, etc. the article below on social distancing explains how it can help reduce the exposure to levels our medical system can handle:

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/soci...y-ac21d7fa78b4

For those comparing this to the swine flu, it's not the same. The Swine flu did not require entire households or companies to go on quarantine if one infected person was in their midst.

I'm not a hoarder nor a panicked buyer, but I do think a lot of people have their heads up their behinds about this disease.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:22 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I noticed that. Ducey started out with a bang but seems to have fizzled and downright disappeared now that cases are increasing.

For those of you who see no need to cancel school, large gathering events, etc. the article below on social distancing explains how it can help reduce the exposure to levels our medical system can handle:

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/soci...y-ac21d7fa78b4

For those comparing this to the swine flu, it's not the same. The Swine flu did not require entire households or companies to go on quarantine if one infected person was in their midst.

I'm not a hoarder nor a panicked buyer, but I do think a lot of people have their heads up their behinds about this disease.
The best advice is: take the necessary precautions, practice good hygiene, but DON'T PANIC! More people are afflicted with (and die from) heart trouble, cancer, strokes, influenza, car accidents, and the list goes on. I'm doing what I can to protect myself and my family, but at the same time, I'm not going freak out like an insane bozo and rush to the stores to hoard every last tissue box or toilet paper package.

It's also ridiculous to cancel a lot of these events. The Democrat debate that was supposed to be held in Phoenix tomorrow could have gone on as planned without the audience. I can understand avoiding large crowds, but isolating yourself from the world and hiding under the covers in fear of the big bad wolf isn't going to help matters. If anything, we'll be affected more by the economic fallout from this nonsense than the virus itself!

Old 03-14-2020, 11:15 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times
A little lightness:

https://youtu.be/Ik9RKpZLh3A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area