Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 PM

202 posts, read 222,258 times

Advertisements

If we go through a recession, all real estate will take a hit. Phoenix will be hit real hard because a lot of its economy is based on real estate speculation, more so than other metropolitan areas. I do think we will see a decline in the economy and by default the local real estate market, but it won't be as bad at 2008 as the economic collapse was so tied to the housing market. This would be a different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,345,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
If we go through a recession, all real estate will take a hit. Phoenix will be hit real hard because a lot of its economy is based on real estate speculation, more so than other metropolitan areas. I do think we will see a decline in the economy and by default the local real estate market, but it won't be as bad at 2008 as the economic collapse was so tied to the housing market. This would be a different situation.
Which is why I've said for a long time that the Phoenix area needs to diversify its economy more than it does. I think we have gotten a little better in this regard, possibly thanks in part to what happened during the last downturn. But as a metro area, we still rely too much on real estate & home construction, which can be a major money maker during good economic times, but it's not a steady, reliable source.

I'm not so sure if this will be like 2008 or not ... it possibly could be worse overall because the entire nation is forced to shut down thanks to an overly intrusive government. Even if the Corona virus is maintained, the spread is reduced, and restaurants & social gatherings are allowed to return to normal, it likely will not mean a sudden bounce back. We hope it will (and I think most of us WANT this to happen), but I think Trump is jumping to conclusions and being overly hopeful at this point.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 3,000,041 times
An American teacher in Hainan has confirmed that things are returning to normal, there. Similar reports from the mainland. Japan might even still hold the Olympics.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,852,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Exactly. And even within the stock market, there's safer boring stocks that earn dividends and there's risky stocks. I actually have a stock that has skyrocketed this month, although a majority are way down and some that are barely down. It's all about risk tolerance and how long an investment horizon you have. Someone retired should have less than 25% in high risk stocks, unless its "play money"
Are you even remotely aware of the carnage in the bond markets lately?
Do you know that even gold is down?
And posts that compare the real estate/economic collapse of 2006-2011 to today have it backward; real estate and the equity markets did not crash during the financial crisis because the economy collapsed; the economy collapsed because real estate collapsed, which caused the crisis!

This situation is unique and has caused a genuine panic across all platforms.
I am hopeful that whenever it becomes evident that the pandemic has peaked the panic will bottom and the recovery will be fast and furious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area