Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times

Advertisements

I also grew tired of beading, but found that quilting is a ranked higher among sophisticates. Here a local quilting guild, though I'm not sure of their political leanings.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
I am completely confused by this thread! How does beading equal liberalism and sophistication, OP? Are you sure you aren't looking for arts and crafts information?

Here, why don't you check out the opera:

Phoenix Opera - Magnificence is our Middle Name!

P.S. I like BOTH Opera AND shooting at cans. It's a big world, I try not to live it inside any little boxes.

You may enjoy skeet shooting or trapshooting:

Arizona Sporting Clays - Skeet Shooting - Trapshooting - Gun Clubs
Just wondering if there is a place to watch the opera while you shoot things?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering if there is a place to watch the opera while you shoot things?
Wtf? Shoot things while watching Opera?
When I think of AZ history (Tombstone - Birdcage Theather), I think people would be shooting at the Opera performers...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM

94 posts, read 394,918 times
Am I the only one who thinks that anyone who self-identifies as a "sophisticate," isn't one?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plin View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that anyone who self-identifies as a "sophisticate," isn't one?
NO! If you have to say you ARE (fill in the blank), you are NOT!

Who woulda think beading makes ya soooo "sophisticated"... Running for some beads right after work!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
NO! If you have to say you ARE (fill in the blank), you are NOT!

Who woulda think beading makes ya soooo "sophisticated"... Running for some beads right after work!
You do realize, of course, what I said was sort of tongue-in-cheek.

Actually, beading is all the rage (or it was, until I lost interest, however I have such a collection that I am now bored). The prized "beads" I have come from Italy and vintage at that - such as wedding cake and millefiori. I won't tell you how much I spent on them, but they've tripled in value. Unfortunately, they just don't have the artisanship of years past in what you will find as masquerading as anything of value today. In fact, I think Italy probably makes the finest jewelry around. Even at the gem show I went to recently - nothing of value except for real gemstones.

But there are some good ideas in this thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I also grew tired of beading, but found that quilting is a ranked higher among sophisticates. Here a local quilting guild, though I'm not sure of their political leanings.
Thanks for the link, but I don't have the patience for quilting, plus it is sort of country, and I'm not into that.

Yeah, beading is great for awhile, but one can only accumulate so many sets. Plus, it's super hard to find decent beads. I went to this shop in Scottsdale voted "Best Of" and nothing can compare to the older vintage stuff.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I love attending events downtown like the Phoenix Contemporary Design Fair that took place the 19-20 at the Ice House in the warehouse district. They often have such design fairs and events in this location. This is the website for the event:
Phoenix Contemporary Design Fair 2008
Even though this event is over it will give you a general idea of what occurs at this location. I am younger and love to club, BUT I have friends that do not like the atmosphere and are older than myself. In this situation we love to relax and sip on wine/cocktails/a good beer at "Sunsets at the Clarendon" which is a rooftop bar and lounging area with great views of uptown and downtown Phoenix. This place is not much fun during Phoenix's hot summer days, but the evenings are great. If you can't catch the Monet, Matisse, and More exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum, then wait a few weeks when the European masters of art tour comes to town. I believe the tour will circulate through PAM during the summer months. The Ralph Rucci design tour from Italy is currently being showcased as well. His designs and couture are world renowned. On May 9 a fierce fashion show downtown (benefit as well) will transfix the warehouse district; check out this site:
Circle of Ideas - Cycles of Beauty May 9, 2008

I also attend many events that are for the gay community and not sure if listing those events would be of much interest to you. First Friday's aren't the only times there are things going on in Roosevelt Row or Grand Avenue galleries. The lounges, studios, bars and restaurants are open everyday and crowds gather every weekend. It is much easier to navigate without the massive crowd that permeates during First Friday.

There are more events and spots that I love but I am falling asleep. I am sure there will be more posts tomorrow and I will reply with more of my "what to do in Phoenix for fun" ideas.
Thanks, great post. I will have to start looking into things like this. It's been my experience that the gay community hosts some of the greatest events (so please share them!). So much about San Francisco and its uniqueness can be attributed to the gay community. I went to a Halloween party in the Castro (part of City heavily populated by gay people) and the party was the BEST, no holds barred. The most incredibly creative costumes. That night was truly one of my best in SF, apart from Phantom of the Opera, which probably ranks #1.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Ahhh...just what we need. Another person who thinks they are sophisticated.

Have you tried hiking the desert and pooping between two rocks?
What a crass and unsophisticated rube you are. Just like so many in this unsophisticated, unliberal, hellhole of a city.

If one is really sophisticated, one must poop on TOP of the rock, taking great care to lay it out using the principles of feng shui. Of course this is all done whilst reading Noam Chomsky and pondering what color Prius to buy.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
What a crass and unsophisticated rube you are. Just like so many in this unsophisticated, unliberal, hellhole of a city.

If one is really sophisticated, one must poop on TOP of the rock, taking great care to lay it out using the principles of feng shui. Of course this is all done whilst reading Noam Chomsky and pondering what color Prius to buy.
Well, I was going to ignore these "poop" posts, but it's just an example of what I am getting at here, and why no doubt you are NOT a liberal. You and I would not travel in the same social circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area