Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,447 times

Advertisements

Given the intense sunlight for most of the year, how much of a beating does ones Car take on the paint finish and interior ? Do you just wax/polish it more often to keep it looking shiny ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
Given the intense sunlight for most of the year, how much of a beating does ones Car take on the paint finish and interior ? Do you just wax/polish it more often to keep it looking shiny ? Thanks.
Great question, IbeDavid

I've frequently been referred to as a "car nut" . . . however, common sense and proper care should eliminate most, if not all vehicle paint fading.

Unfortunately, paint used by some vehicle manufacturers and some colors seem to be more vulnerable than others.

On the positive side . . . the extremely low humidity most of the year (read: DRY HEAT) literally eliminates rust and rot for the metal parts but creates havoc on the interiors. Once again, more care and common sense applies.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM

523 posts, read 1,282,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great question, IbeDavid

I've frequently been referred to as a "car nut" . . . however, common sense and proper care should eliminate most, if not all vehicle paint fading.

Unfortunately, paint used by some vehicle manufacturers and some colors seem to be more vulnerable than others.

On the positive side . . . the extremely low humidity most of the year (read: DRY HEAT) literally eliminates rust and rot for the metal parts but creates havoc on the interiors. Once again, more care and common sense applies.

Perhaps you could include a few tips?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,447 times
Yes...please include things and products which maintain a good exterior finish and protects the interior .

Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
I used to detail cars (not in the Valley--here in IL) on the side, so I hope I can help here...

Keep it out of direct sunlight as much as you can. Wax the car at least once every 6 months. I used Meguiar's 3 step wax, as I got the best results with it. It was time consuming, but worked like a charm and the finished product was to die for. AZ's sun will damage interiors like you wouldnt believe (fading, cracking, etc). Invest in tinted windows and a windshield cover for when you have to park in the sun.

Some detailing tips that might be helpful to you:

1. Dont wax the car when the paint is hot, and certainly dont wax it in direct sun. Ever.
2. Allow the wax to fully dry before removing it. Apply and remove the wax with small, circular motions.
3. If you use a 3 step wax (cleaner, polish, top), change wax pads between steps.
4. Do not use beachtowels, etc, to take the wax off. Leaves micro-swirls which look bad. I used cheese-cloth, worked wonders and left no micro-scratches.
5. Same applies for drying the car after washing it-- use a chamois instead of a towel.

Interior? If you have leather, buy Mothers or Meguiars leather conditioner, use as directed. Many people advise you to use Armor All dash treatment. Id advise against it, at least in summer. My BIL used it on his Jeep and the sun actually burned the Armor All into the dash, you could see all the swirls where he applied it. Now he has to apply it all the time just to hide the swirl marks. He wasnt a happy camper when he came out to his Wrangler after work to find that the sun (and Armor All mix) destroyed his dash.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,362 times
I guess you could always get a remnant of shag carpeting and cut it to fit your dashboard. Problem solved!!

(lol)

Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
Typically I wash my truck every 2 weeks and hand wax every 3-4 months. Don't forget to armorall all of the plastic and rubber (door seals) on your vehicle. This should keep everything from fading or cracking. Think of it as hand lotion for your car. Also window tint with UV blocking will help keep your interior fresh. I suggest getting a good dashmat and window shades for your windshield as well if you park outside for an extended period of time during the day.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,339 times
I am not much of a car nut so I can't comment on the advice given above but it sounds good to me. What I can comment on is the use of a windshield shade cover. They come in various styles including the folding cardboard model, the flexible "mylar" type with the shiny side, etc. Not only do they help protect your dashboard but they keep the steering wheel cool. Nothing worse than fried fingers on a hot steering wheel.

LF

Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

180 posts, read 655,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post

Yes,
Very much so. Wax only delays it a bit. Keep the car in the garage at all times to minize this issue. However 99.9% of the time you will still need to park it outside in 110F 5 days a week 8-10 hrs a day in the summer at work anyway.

Some resort to use a car cover at work. The help a ton, but it can get quite old to always be putting it on and off. One key is the windshield sunshade. It helps limit the sun going in the front windshield and as such minimizes the impact on the dash. It can also realyl help to prevent the steering wheel from become 500F when you get in the car. Also if you can select the direction in which you park at work it can also limit how much sun goes into the car and possible prevent the sun from heating up the driver's seat all day long.

In the end it is hot, sunny and dry. This is worse envirnoment for paint and nearly all the materials of a car's interior. Of course we don't see any rust at all.

With respect to Amour All and similar products. I NEVER use them on the inside of the car. That I believe contribues to a significant level of dash cracking. The product tends to further dry out the plastic making it worse. I clean with water and a damp cloth

Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
You can get mats for the dash from a company called DashMat located here in PHX. They have custom cuts for just about every car ever made. Use a product called 303 rather than ArmorAll and your plastic and rubber items in the car and around the yard will last forever in the sun. It costs a lot but it works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: