Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer in Phoenix with a salary of 78k a year. Insurance isn’t the best but it’s there. I am moving from a more expensive area near San Francisco and it will be quite the pay cut for me, so wondering if it is worth it to lose 15k out of my salary to live somewhere so much cheaper, or if it’ll put me in the same exact spot I am in now. Thanks! All insight and info on what kind of lifestyle a couple without kids can have on that sort of salary in Phoenix would be super helpful. I’ve done the city comparison calculators, but they are oftentimes contradictory.

Last edited by Sonia Williams; 04-03-2020 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 06:12 AM

181 posts, read 133,170 times
If you made $93k in San Francisco, you'll live like a king on $78k in Phoenix. I don't know what city calculator you were using but there is a huge disparity between the two cities, COL wise, not even close. They are at complete opposite ends of the scale.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Shouldn't be an issue, how much are you paying for a place to live in SF? If it's near average then I think you're in really good shape with this move.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Honestly, only you can answer this question. The biggest difference is going to be housing. What are you paying now vs. what you would be paying here. If you are going form $3k/mo to $1.5k per month...that is a net savings of $18k per year and you have made up your deficit. Actually...$18k net income is probably more like $25k in pre-tax salary so you would be doing even better.

Do you have a car? Cause you are going to need one.

Insurance rates, taxes, etc. are going to be other minor considerations...housing is the big one.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:35 AM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia Williams View Post
I recently received a job offer in Phoenix with a salary of 78k a year. Insurance isn’t the best but it’s there. I am moving from a more expensive area near San Francisco and it will be quite the pay cut for me, so wondering if it is worth it to lose 15k out of my salary to live somewhere so much cheaper, or if it’ll put me in the same exact spot I am in now. Thanks! All insight and info on what kind of lifestyle a couple without kids can have on that sort of salary in Phoenix would be super helpful. I’ve done the city comparison calculators, but they are oftentimes contradictory.
I will assume you are renting near SF. What are you paying for rent?

My guess is roughly $1000 a month more for a similar apartment in the up and coming downtown areas of Phx.

A huge plus here is you will be able to afford a home should you want to buy .

Weather in AZ of course is extremely hot during the summer months whereas the SF area has excellent weather year round.

Bottom line: I just don't see you getting anywhere on 100 grand a year in the Bay Area. The cost of housing is just too much. You've got to be earning the big bucks or at least $250 grand a year.

When I was a boy my family moved to SF in the 60's to start over. I recall crab fishing over the piers and the white sand beach. Even in the early 80's housing was still affordable. My first apartment (an in-law) was $210 a month in the Outer Sunset district.

But that SF no longer exists.

The only thing I still recognize is Golden Gate Park.

Last edited by john3232; 04-03-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
$93k in SF is probably closer to $50k in Phoenix. I honestly don't know how you survived there on that. Your buying power should increase, but don't expect to live the high life here on $78k. With modest living and little debt, you'll be fine.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:54 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
A couple should be fine, but it probably won't improve your lifestyle THAT much. Of course, if you are living in an old house in a less nice area, you may be able to improve that aspect of your life.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
A couple should be fine, but it probably won't improve your lifestyle THAT much. Of course, if you are living in an old house in a less nice area, you may be able to improve that aspect of your life.
I don't disagree with much of this, but the age of the house doesn't mean anything. There are LOADS of new houses here that are crappy, cheap and in bad areas. There are also older homes that are in great areas and quite pricey.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
The biggest issue will be the summer heat. Totally different than S.F. Also allergies and sandstorms. I was offered a job there and turned it down after visiting for 2 weeks.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
You’ll have MUCH more buying power here with the $78,000! The biggest savings will be housing (at least 25% less rent cost than the Bay Area suburbs for a similar apartment) so you should actually be able to afford to buy a place in time. Gas, food, restaurants, beauty services; it all costs less here. (I go home a few times a year to visit and I feel the price difference!) Yes, the summers are HOT but this born and raised San Francisco girl manages just fine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area