Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 12:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times

Advertisements

Arizona is DEAD LAST in testing. If we can get tests and our testing numbers up, then yes, I'd be for a limited and gradual "reopening" of the state. But with our current testing capability? Hell no. Stay shut, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 02:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times
Agreed...Im for a limited and gradual reopening. Lives are worth much more than money.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:34 PM

525 posts, read 539,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Arizona is DEAD LAST in testing. If we can get tests and our testing numbers up, then yes, I'd be for a limited and gradual "reopening" of the state. But with our current testing capability? Hell no. Stay shut, please.
Actually I think we are number 37 now according to the latest numbers. But still, we need to ramp this testing up. I sure don't want to be locked down another month just because we lack nasal swabs.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Hmmm..sounds like the news media to me!
I don't know, sounds like a measured response to a situation where there are still more questions than answers.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,567 times
There is one thing that could help us re-open, and I don't see it being talked much. That is a massive manufacturing effort (like WWII on steroids) of N95 masks (preferably with plastic nose strip - no metal parts so it can be microwaved, as well as user replaceable rubber bands for the straps). That would allow each person to have 7-10 masks, to use one per day, and if needed, pop it into the microwave, heat on high for 2-3 minutes to kill coronavirus, and reuse again, while building a ridiculous amounts of UV cleaners for the long term to clean masks and other PPE.

If everyone had easy access to N95 masks and easily disinfect them for reuse once or twice per week (while rotating through them once per week), we could easily go back to work with much lower risk. Lots more hand-washing and alcohol sanitizers everywhere. Even without microwaving or UV cleaning, just wear one and then set it aside in a garage or back patio wash line for a few days and let the virus dry up naturally. That would be a huge help.

This would really minimize infections in the long run while vaccines / treatments are developed.

N95 masks can be made cheaply and in huge volumes if the entire country gets industrialized. It seems like for such a small cost we could easily get back to business and normal. The ROI on this is huge. Not sure why we aren't mobilizing every possible business / resource to do this.

Last edited by AndroidAZ; 04-20-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 06:24 PM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
There is one thing that could help us re-open, and I don't see it being talked much. That is a massive manufacturing effort (like WWII on steroids) of N95 masks
It's already started. Read https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/news...n-rhode-island . Honeywell is ramping up to make millions..... As in, 20X more!

In OTHER breaking news, "Coronavirus antibody testing shows LA County outbreak is up to 55 times bigger than reported cases". This supports the Stanford study.

As I've mentioned for a couple of weeks, we needed DATA to have an educated decision. read https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coro...ted-cases.html

I watched Trumps press conference today. He said his plan stopped "1-2 million from dying". Based off of these numbers coming out of CA (Stanford study and in LA), no change in Hell that is true.

For some math. To date, 8,000 people in LA have been tested positive. According to the data, 55x more people have tested positive (it's basic statistical "T table" modeling). That's 440,000 walking around LA area that has the antibody. To date, 617 have died. So 617 (dead)/440,000=0.0014 or .14% mortality.

Now, 360,000,000 TOTAL Americans divided by 440,000 people in LA who got the virus means that you can multiply the amount of people who died by 818. Or 617 people who died in LA times 818==around 504,000 people would be the maximum people who would die. Yea, full hospitals could make this number go up. And this isn't necessarily a representation of the entire country.
STILL, no chance in Hell 100% of the population are going to be exposed. Because at the 50% point, the "Herd Immunity" kicks into full gear. So realistically, divide that 504,000 / 2 and that's your worse case. Lots of assumptions here. But as you see, "millions" seem to be mighty high. The answers have always been in the data. FINALLY!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 04-20-2020 at 06:43 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's already started. Read https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/news...n-rhode-island . Honeywell is ramping up to make millions..... As in, 20X more!

In OTHER news, "Coronavirus antibody testing shows LA County outbreak is up to 55 times bigger than reported cases". As I've mentioned for a couple of weeks, we needed DATA to have an educated decision. read https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coro...ted-cases.html
That's good to hear. I think we probably need 5-800 times more than current capacity to protect the entire population, to account for wear & tear / disposal, etc.

They need to redesign the masks to eliminate metal so it can be disinfected in a microwave. A small tweak could make these things last 10 times longer than a 1 time use item.

Hopefully people way smarter than me are thinking about this and making design changes so we can meet the volume needed.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agreed. It needs to be non partisan because it's affecting everybody regardless of political party or who they vote for. I can't understand why anybody would be in favor of a dictatorship type of rule which we have allowed to happen. Remember, it's the government (not the virus) which caused the once bustling economy to fall of a cliff! This could have & should have been handled in a much less restrictive way.

It could have had the country been more prepared. I think right now is too soon to reopen but I think we should June 1st. I think we'll regret reopening too soon and we might have to do it all over again if cases get out of hand.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I don't think anyone does but hope the AZ governor removes the current restrictions as of May 1st.

At this point I feel ongoing damage to the economy outweigh the health risk.
Absolutely, and more than most people would like to admit. We need to open up the economy immediately, but cautiously ... and by that I mean that businesses still should emphasize social distancing, including better enforcement of the "sick rule". If a customer or employee demonstrates any sign of being sick (coughing, runny nose, fever, etc.), GO HOME! More emphasis needs to be placed on better hygiene because a lot of viruses begin with unwashed hands or sneezing & coughing out loud. There should definitely be these guidelines in place that businesses enforce on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Agreed...Im for a limited and gradual reopening. Lives are worth much more than money.
Sorry to break it to you, but money is part of life. Besides, all the stress over being quarantined, loss of jobs, and many services being unavailable (including many "routine" doctor visits) is putting more strain on people's lives and affecting their health in a negative way. Having a little down time in the form of staying home is fine in the very short term, but it's not normal or healthy for any length of time.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:33 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
A limited and gradual reopening is prudent, but, once again, it’s important to state that not all skepticism about the current approach to the pandemic is about valuing money more than lives. For me, it’s about weighing the lives lost to the pandemic in comparison to the lives lost to suicide, substance abuse, and domestic violence that will result from massive unemployment and prolonged isolation.

In related news, the protesters at the Capitol today followed their peers in other states by making their event into a Trump rally. That’s unfortunate but not surprising given that many of these supposedly grassroots protests are really astroturf efforts organized by partisan interests. I am concerned that we’ve made the cure worse than the disease, but I wouldn’t be caught anywhere near these protests due to their political agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area