Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 07:35 PM

811 posts, read 623,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, no one is neutral but there are some that at least try to look through a lens that doesn’t involve paranoia or conspiracy.

The big government vs. little government is another fallacy. Only true libertarians are proponents of a lack of government intrusion. See social services, healthcare, gay marriage and abortion for proof.
I agree, not a fan of paranoia and conspiracy but big gov v. small gov is not a fallacy. That's obvious.

Many of us are Jack-Libertarians. We fudge.
But in our dreams we want to be full pedigree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 07:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I agree, not a fan of paranoia and conspiracy but big gov v. small gov is not a fallacy. That's obvious.

Many of us are Jack-Libertarians. We fudge.
But in our dreams we want to be full pedigree.
Too much worry about what others do when it comes to social issues for small government to ever be a platform of the (religious) right.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:39 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
So, to be clear, you're advocating outlawing alcohol, tobacco, "junk" food and telling people to social distance but not to act scared about it? How are you enforcing the covering your mouth when you sneeze and cough? Tickets or jail?
The hell I am. Common sense should be the rule of the land, and if somebody is a smoker, a drunk, or a fat slob, then let the chips fall where they may. No government body should outlaw any of these "vices", but the government shouldn't be wasting time trying to save everybody from themselves either. If I see or hear somebody sneezing or coughing out loud, I'm mandating my own social distance. It's everybody for themselves and survival of the fittest. Fact of life.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Too much worry about what others do when it comes to social issues for small government to ever be a platform of the (religious) right.
Isn't "what others are doing" the flash point for the isolation alarmists and extremists?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The hell I am. Common sense should be the rule of the land, and if somebody is a smoker, a drunk, or a fat slob, then let the chips fall where they may. No government body should outlaw any of these "vices", but the government shouldn't be wasting time trying to save everybody from themselves either. If I see or hear somebody sneezing or coughing out loud, I'm mandating my own social distance. It's everybody for themselves and survival of the fittest. Fact of life.
So the government should say "use your common sense" and leave it at that? Got it.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's everybody for themselves and survival of the fittest.
Right now it's survival of the fattest.

Chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:58 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Sounds even better but the only way to get the slow people to approve it is with a huge tax. Not sure how a sports betting tax would work, maybe a % of the vig? I assume Nevada gets a cut of the juice when you pay 10% or whatever at the sports books.
Both face special interest hurdles. Prohibition is backed by law enforcement, prison industry, tobacco and the medical marijuana industry. McCain was in against sports gambling in a big way. You'd think sports betting was worse than communism when it came to his crusade. Tribal gaming does not want it either because they fear competition from online daily sports betting. You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie.

As for COVID-19...I have purchased a mask, a Dracula Gottfried mask. Proceeds go to MedShare. If only he made a Dice Gottried mask too. Hickory, dickory, dock...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

https://gilbertgottfried.threadless....ries/face-mask

Old 04-17-2020, 08:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Isn't "what others are doing" the flash point for the isolation alarmists and extremists?
I never argued that that is a small government approach.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:22 PM

9,778 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I am more worried about shutdown ramifications than COVID-19. When will the madness end? What's going to happen if there's another out break next winter/spring? Are we going to shutdown and plunge further into economic ruin? Sweden is taking a different road and it may not be the doom and gloom that Ye Olde Media wants you to believe.

https://reason.com/2020/04/17/in-swe...-the-long-run/
In the spirit of full disclosure: "It’s a myth that Sweden is doing nothing about the virus. Most Swedes have changed their habits a lot. Schools for older kids are closed, as are universities. People are working from home, when they can, and the elderly are being urged to keep to themselves. Gatherings of over 50 people are prohibited, and ski resorts are closed. Restaurants and bars are allowing table service only, and grocery stores are installing glass dividers between customers and cashiers. People who go to Stockholm may be stunned to see bars and cafés with customers, but they’re seeing only the Swedes who choose to run higher risks. They’re not seeing all the Swedes who are staying home." See https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...eden-is-trying

Yes, Sweeden is taking a different approach and is arguably more balanced. I've visited multiple parts of Sweeden (their culture kicks-arse IMHO). My non-scientific observation is there are much healthier as compared to chubby Americans. Their diet was a hell of a lot healthier (lots of seafood) and they bike a ton (People: 9,500,000 Bicycles: 6,000,000 Cyclists: ~64%) versus the (USA 360,000,000 and 47,000,000 million bikes ~13%).

Nonetheless, like you, I'm paying attention to what happens along with my fat-free bag of popcorn in hand.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
I want to open but I don't think it's time yet. I say look at the numbers on May 1.

If May 1 looks ok I say start with restaurants at 25% of capacity, all retail open, and offices back to normal or the new normal with work at home seeming to be popular. Will still be too soon for theaters, arenas, and stadiums. Up in the air with fitness centers. Maybe half capacity? Hair and nails can wait and see. Maybe June for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area