Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 07:08 PM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah it's been nice. Usually I am outside every day with the kids sports and events so now with everything canceled I have to make a point to get out and enjoy it. Last night we did takeout Italian dinner on the back patio with the pool lit up and the wife and I took down a bottle of wine (mostly me ). It sure is nice to have that space around us and the nice weather, it would be a totally different vibe living in a 600 square foot apartment in NY for example.
An (agnostic) AMEN to that! Life would suck for me personally if I was living in a shoebox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 10:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 894,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm reminded of a famous quote by Ben Franklin which holds true to this day: [b]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Most people have no idea what you are talking about. I do.
https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/39024...n-21st-century

Old 04-19-2020, 11:13 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I already addressed it: the numbers keep increasing, even though most of us clearly have done our part as far as social distancing. So what kind of proof do we have that isolating ourselves is turning the curve downward? The fact is that less than 1% of the population has been afflicted by the virus, and if we didn't practice mitigation efforts then maybe the number would increase to 1.5% or a staggering 2% at best. These are still very low numbers in comparison to the number of people out of work and the number of businesses that either had to close or WILL close.

The government has already been trying to gain power over us for a long time, and they use any kind of crisis as an excuse to do so. Look what happened after 9/11: we got the lovely TSA as a result, which by the way has never stopped any terrorists, but has been a major hassle for people who simply need to travel for one reason or the other. This latest power grab has been more of a kneejerk reaction, and it was largely the result of paranoia & hysteria (nothing rational about it). Yes, a certain amount of protection is necessary, but not when it results in the loss of basic freedoms, or when it causes the entire economy to crash.

By the way, regarding hair salons: apparently you haven't heard of a salon suite, which is not a crowded, open air environment at all. They're private rooms that are individually run by the barber or stylist. It's not exactly the kind of atmosphere where cooties can be easily spread. Quite a few elderly & disabled people have relied on these salons because of their limitations. There again, mandating an across the board closure was an overreach on Ducey's part ... and he did it only as a reaction to the crybabies & Chicken Littles.
Trying to have an honest, truthful conversation with some people on this forum is not possible, they will bait you into something that will get the moderator to delete the entire thread. Just saying......

Old 04-19-2020, 11:14 AM

364 posts, read 619,410 times
I am a hardcore Independent with no love for the Orange man, but as an independent I am bound to the "no partisan" creed of agreeing with who I believe is right regardless of their party. In this issue of re-opening, Trump is right. It's about all he has been right about, but nevertheless I agree with him. What good is "saving lives" if there is no country to come back to? Older and more vulnerable Americans can stay sheltered in place but it is NOT fair to ask our kids, Millennials and Get Z's to take yet another hit for Boomers. They need a future that doesn't result in joblessness, homelessness and in the end Hopelessness.

Open it up for them.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:19 AM

90 posts, read 69,688 times
We have it pretty easy here.

Golf is open, we can get food easily (and take-out), able to walk without seeing too many people, great parks, good hiking. The governor is doing a solid job.

NYC is a doghouse though. They're all stuck in their expensive boxes, reading the NYT getting mad about 'Red States', while they dig mass graves and whine. I couldn't care less about that city.

The MLB will most likely open in AZ, maybe with small crowds, who knows, but it'll be great for the area. AZ residents are resilient. It's a defining part of the pioneering West: the spirit to get back up and get back to work in the face of adversity. We'll be OK here.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 5,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Trying to have an honest, truthful conversation with some people on this forum is not possible, they will bait you into something that will get the moderator to delete the entire thread. Just saying......
X-actly. It's easy for them to bait us because they laugh at us when we tell them the truth about covid bat wuhan number 19 chinese viral infection. They laughed at you when you tried to warn them about the chinese drones coming to spy on us. you know theyll do that when they try to force us all to take there vaccine that will be laced with autism and 5G. no THANKS! Some people are blind and don't see that our beloved and honorable President Trump is making AMERICA chinese virus bat cancer free again.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:21 PM

13,872 posts, read 8,072,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I am a hardcore Independent with no love for the Orange man, but as an independent I am bound to the "no partisan" creed of agreeing with who I believe is right regardless of their party. In this issue of re-opening, Trump is right. It's about all he has been right about, but nevertheless I agree with him. What good is "saving lives" if there is no country to come back to? Older and more vulnerable Americans can stay sheltered in place but it is NOT fair to ask our kids, Millennials and Get Z's to take yet another hit for Boomers. They need a future that doesn't result in joblessness, homelessness and in the end Hopelessness.

Open it up for them.

Here's an interesting exchange which isn't too heated. It deals with the time line and the Government response to the crisis:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...the_truth.html

Last edited by john3232; 04-19-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 01:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I'm becoming alcohol dependent
Yep, that's all we need now: more drunk idiots. Oh well, I'm just glad some of us don't need the bottle to enjoy life or survive this mess.
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post

Open it up for them.
Here's another angle: open the economy for everybody regardless of what their generational label is. Those who are classified as "Boomers", and "Greatest Generation" might be retired or nearing retirement, but their lives are affected by all this nonsense too. People of all ages have been forced to cancel their routine doctor appointments and tests because of all the fear associated with spreading this stupid virus. That's all it is: FEAR & PARANOIA. No rationale behind all these draconian restrictions.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No double talk at all. My message is consistent. Those that have spun this into some “media driven” plan are simply unhinged and paranoid. There is not substance to their argument other than fear. They don’t understand this and rather than wrangling with data and facts, fear is easier for them to comprehend.

Cancer, hiking and pools are terribly laughable arguments. Do you realize that you’re trying to compre a highly contagious, relatively unknown virus to a disease that isn’t spread from person to person, and outdoor activities? I understand you’re seeking an angle, but that wasn’t at all thought out. The fact remains, public health is a balancing act. Given what we know about the virus, it’s highly contagious and all that we do not know about it, the advice is to err on the side of caution. If that saves lives, cool. That’s all this is. CNN isn’t trying to imprison the population or whatever else these wackos are all worked up about.
People in this forum do not know anything about healthcare and public health programs and prefer to listen to people they prefer who are untrained professionals in these fields and it shows. If you listen to academics who dedicate their lives studying medicine and infectious diseases, and the policies and economics and social sides of pandemics, healthcare and public health promotion. None of them are advocating to re-open so soon. Those who are are people who have a vested interest in not taking any loss to their investments. I want things to go back to normal too but we need to do it when it’s ok to do so. For all of us.

Valley Native was using a logical fallacy known as a “Slippery Slope”. I immediately stop debating someone using logical fallacies because they are already of closed mind and aren’t open to anything else. It’s a waste of oxygen and a waste of muscle typing a response to.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_w...fallacies.html

Old 04-19-2020, 02:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Valley Native was using a logical fallacy known as a “Slippery Slope”. I immediately stop debating someone using logical fallacies because they are already of closed mind and aren’t open to anything else. It’s a waste of oxygen and a waste of muscle typing a response to.
I'm more convinced that the real closed minded individuals are the protectionists, the so called liberals, and the ones who believe anything they hear from academia. The problem is that many of these "academics" and "experts" really aren't any more knowledgeable about this virus than the average person. First they say one thing, then they say something completely opposite ... much like a politician for that matter! I'm not debunking science & medical research by any means, but even you will have to admit that while we need to proceed with caution, it was an extremist & unnecessary kneejerk reaction to cause our entire economy to grind to a halt, put millions of people out of work, and trample on our freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area