Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 02:34 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/las-vegas-m...te-now-1498434

Too bad Mayor Gallego can't be as assertive as Las Vegas Mayor Goodman, who is rightfully calling the closing of businesses "insanity". That's exactly what it is. We have over 4,500 confirmed COVID 19 cases in Arizona & over 2,000 cases in Maricopa County, which admittedly is nothing to sweep under the rug, but it's not anywhere near what the hot spots (NYC, Detroit, etc.) are reporting. Even in those places, it's roughly 1% of the population who have tested positive.

We're forcing a 10 to 15% unemployment rate, and nearly 40% of small businesses to close down or restrict their services all because of a virus that's affecting <1% of the total population. Enough of this isolation nonsense. It's abnormal, unAmerican, and in many ways unconstitutional. The restrictions need to be lifted ... although in a cautious way. We can't go on like this much longer before the economy collapses and chaos breaks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 03:11 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/las-vegas-m...te-now-1498434

Too bad Mayor Gallego can't be as assertive as Las Vegas Mayor Goodman, who is rightfully calling the closing of businesses "insanity". That's exactly what it is. We have over 4,500 confirmed COVID 19 cases in Arizona & over 2,000 cases in Maricopa County, which admittedly is nothing to sweep under the rug, but it's not anywhere near what the hot spots (NYC, Detroit, etc.) are reporting. Even in those places, it's roughly 1% of the population who have tested positive.

We're forcing a 10 to 15% unemployment rate, and nearly 40% of small businesses to close down or restrict their services all because of a virus that's affecting <1% of the total population. Enough of this isolation nonsense. It's abnormal, unAmerican, and in many ways unconstitutional. The restrictions need to be lifted ... although in a cautious way. We can't go on like this much longer before the economy collapses and chaos breaks out.
Starting to agree...

Old 04-17-2020, 03:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
I don't necessarily agree but I do think we should legalize weed and sports betting in AZ and tax the hell out of it to help the recovery

Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
How do you know that it won’t spread like wildfire once people are back among each other?

Old 04-17-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How do you know that it won’t spread like wildfire once people are back among each other?
Because we're supposed to be one of the "safer" metro areas due to our mostly detached way of living, remember? Our climate is also supposed to act as a deterrent according to some. It might reach the 90s next week, and that means the 100s probably aren't too far off, then the intense heat will take over & finally kill off this mean ol' virus. In any event, I say proceed with some caution, but keeping businesses closed/restricted & everybody at home is a hell of a lot more devastating to people than COVID 19 will ever be.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:48 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
There’s a rally to make this point at noon on Monday at the Capitol. I hope those who participate exercise better judgment than some of the protesters in Lansing, Michigan, who undermined their cause with Confederate flags and Trump paraphernalia. I have mixed feelings about the “Reopen America” movement, but it deserves to be heard. I think it has a better chance of being taken seriously if not intertwined with partisan politics and controversial imagery. Make it a non-partisan appeal for a rational analysis of the harms of the disease vs. the harms of the cure.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:50 PM

2,774 posts, read 903,626 times
I've been out and about for a while now. Today I went shopping for groceries, went to a pottery store and an electronics store yesterday. Got take out twice from my favorite restaurants. The power of the media is on full display. If it's on TV it must be true, right? Same with print. For every article I read providing information (mostly speculation) about the CHINA VIRUS there is another article providing speculative and contrary information. I watch no television news, and read very little on line news. We need to start moving forward now. There is a trickle of information now saying the projected numbers from authoritative sources based on models were greatly exaggerated. Ya think?

Old 04-17-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There’s a rally to make this point at noon on Monday at the Capitol. I hope those who participate exercise better judgment than some of protesters in Lansing, Michigan, who undermined their cause with Confederate flags and Trump paraphernalia. I have mixed feelings about the “Reopen America” movement, but it deserves to be heard. I think it has a better chance of being taken seriously if not intertwined with partisan politics and controversial imagery. Make it a non-partisan appeal for a rational analysis of the harms of the disease vs. the harms of the cure.
Agreed. It needs to be non partisan because it's affecting everybody regardless of political party or who they vote for. I can't understand why anybody would be in favor of a dictatorship type of rule which we have allowed to happen. Remember, it's the government (not the virus) which caused the once bustling economy to fall of a cliff! This could have & should have been handled in a much less restrictive way.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Because we're supposed to be one of the "safer" metro areas due to our mostly detached way of living, remember? Our climate is also supposed to act as a deterrent according to some. It might reach the 90s next week, and that means the 100s probably aren't too far off, then the intense heat will take over & finally kill off this mean ol' virus. In any event, I say proceed with some caution, but keeping businesses closed/restricted & everybody at home is a hell of a lot more devastating to people than COVID 19 will ever be.
I really can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic with this whole thing. Maybe not undertaking social cues is a symptom of the virus and I’m about the be screwed! Either way, I think we need to learn from history and not let our guard down prematurely. None of these conspiracy theorists ranting and raving about their liberties being stripped have come up with anything to support their claim that it’s safe to open things up at this point.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:09 PM

525 posts, read 539,907 times
So do you think Ducey will try to open gradually on May 1st? Or wait a couple of more weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area