Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 07:13 PM

811 posts, read 622,717 times

Advertisements

Title was changed from “white trash cars” to “trash cars”.

PLEASE, someone, ANYONE tell me what a “trash car” is.
Guessing here: Is it similar to a trash poster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 PM

13,755 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Title was changed from “white trash cars” to “trash cars”.

PLEASE, someone, ANYONE tell me what a “trash car” is.
Guessing here: Is it similar to a trash poster?
My guess: a car that is beat up in appearance and often doesn't run. Also known as a "junk heap."

In this case the car still runs.... but also makes a lot of noise.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In this instance they agreed to stop. What if the didn't. What if they logged a complaint with the HOA against you and others who they felt were unduly harassing them... then what?

If they have been cited by the police for noise violations great. Otherwise you'll need documentation which a lawyer can't refute in court should it go that route.

I had a neighbor complain to me about my renters. Said they would get drunk and yell at each other at night. My neighbor told me she complained to the HOA but nothing.

However, I had been notified by the HOA when said tenants left their trash bin outside or the landscape wasn't clear of weeds.

Not much I can do without proof such as a police report. Although in this case I didn't like what I saw when I visited the home. There was a dog which wasn't allowed and a window frame in the master bedroom had been badly damaged.

I had property management get rid of them.
Well...sorry your HOA is ineffective. In my instance (and a few others that have been successfully resolved in our neighborhood) our HOA is able to levy fines and pressure if someone is violating the CC&Rs.

In another instance a couple of years ago...some idiot thought it was appropriate to test out their launch control, repeatedly, on neighborhood streets. Again, CPD was alerted and did nothing. Neighbors contacted the HOA, found that the person in question was a renter, fines were threatened against the homeowner and within a month, those renters were gone. The speeding and reckless behavior on the street was only one of the infractions that were levied against the occupants, they also had cars parked in the gravel at the house in question, parking overnight on the street, had loud parties until early morning hours, etc.

Now whether or not they were evicted or decided to move on...I have no idea. As long term residents in our neighborhood, we have some close ties to HOA Board members and are active in the community. Not to say our HOA is draconian in its' approach or anything but when behavior is out of control and affects the community as a whole...steps are taken.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...sorry your HOA is ineffective. In my instance (and a few others that have been successfully resolved in our neighborhood) our HOA is able to levy fines and pressure if someone is violating the CC&Rs.

In another instance a couple of years ago...some idiot thought it was appropriate to test out their launch control, repeatedly, on neighborhood streets. Again, CPD was alerted and did nothing. Neighbors contacted the HOA, found that the person in question was a renter, fines were threatened against the homeowner and within a month, those renters were gone. The speeding and reckless behavior on the street was only one of the infractions that were levied against the occupants, they also had cars parked in the gravel at the house in question, parking overnight on the street, had loud parties until early morning hours, etc.

Now whether or not they were evicted or decided to move on...I have no idea. As long term residents in our neighborhood, we have some close ties to HOA Board members and are active in the community. Not to say our HOA is draconian in its' approach or anything but when behavior is out of control and affects the community as a whole...steps are taken.

These two issues the owner can be cited. But a charge of "reckless behavior?" How do you prove this should the owner complain you're the one harassing them. Having a friend on the board can help get the HOA mediated. However, you still need documentation should the owner of the property in question decided to fight back.

Five of my rentals have HOA. Two in Gilbert, two in Chandler and one in Mesa. I've dealt with various HOA many times over the years.

In every instance I received a violation notice some type of proof was provided. Usually a photo.

Late parties Friday and Saturday night? What if the owner says that's not true. Having a number of neighbors go on record backing you with a legal document might do the trick.

But you will need something if the owner in question fights back and complains they aren't doing anything wrong and you are harassing them.

I mentioned earlier about renters that were dinged by the HOA for parking on the street where they shouldn't have. I tell renters before they move in that HOA scan be fickle. You must obey the basic rules such as cleaning the front landscaper and watching where you park.

My renters were dinged a second time with a parking violation but in this instance my tenants said they didn't own the car. HOA provided a photo and license #

I contacted the HOA and told them the car didn't belong to my tenants. I also provided the model and license# of the cars my renters drive. Violation was removed

Maybe 5 years ago that same property was hit with a violation regarding a tree. The tree was dead and I was told to remove it but the tree wasn't on my property.

After several calls I finally got to the person in charge. The rock landscape on my property is different than my neighbors and this points out the dividing line. Violation was removed.

I could go on and on but the point is in every instance the HOA provided documentation of a violation. In most instances the violation is legit but at times they were wrong.

Now I am not making this up.. but I had a neighbor complain to me once my tenants were drug dealers. That people were coming in and out at all hours. This is a serious accusation and I had no intention of getting involved especially since my renters were Hispanic and the rest of this upscale neighborhood appeared to be White.

I'm not suggesting my neighbors are racists and they might in fact been correct. However, I could see a lawsuit filed against me by my renters if I wasn't careful. I told my neighbor I knew nothing about this and said no more.

But like many renters who realize property management isn't closely watching my tenants had broken their lease agreement. I didn't know anything about drug deals but there were people living in the house that shouldn't been there. I ultimately got rid of them when I got the chance.

On the other hand had I received an HOA violation I would have spoken with my tenants. Next I would have contacted a lawyer. Because if my renters said they weren't making noise, people weren't coming by at all hours and the neighbors just didn't like them... then what?

Such neighbor to neighbor disputes are hard to prove and why HOA are reluctant to get involved.

The most I have been able to get from an HOA is a willingness to send a letter in an attempt to mediate a problem.

Last edited by john3232; 04-21-2020 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
These two issues the owner can be cited.

<snip>

The most I have been able to get from an HOA is a willingness to send a letter in an attempt to mediate a problem.
Feeling better after that? The OP was referring to loud cars. I simply mentioned that we have had luck with our HOA stepping in where the Police Department wouldn't, even with video and multiple neighbors complaining, with CC&R violations and fines. Yes, we had multiple neighbors complaining, yes we have documentation and videos, no, it wasn't just me.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Feeling better after that? The OP was referring to loud cars. I simply mentioned that we have had luck with our HOA stepping in where the Police Department wouldn't, even with video and multiple neighbors complaining, with CC&R violations and fines. Yes, we had multiple neighbors complaining, yes we have documentation and videos, no, it wasn't just me.
Well, that's what you need to get started... at least in my experience.

With regards to the OP they can call the police and if nothing is done see if they can get the neighbors to join in on the HOA compliant.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:59 AM

2,774 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
I think the newer Mustangs and Shelbys have a quiet/"Good Neighbor" mode on the exhaust system. They can shut down the noise unless they want it.
I had no idea such options existed on the new Mustangs. I had a 65 Mustang in high school. I drive an Accord now, but I still like the purr of a V8 engine. Not open pipes, but the sound of a well tuned exhaust system and that V8 rumble. There is a 20 something guy in my small HOA who works as a mechanic and drives home a late mode Mustang GT sometimes. He's not obnoxious about it, but I usually hear it when he rounds the corner.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 10,708 times
Default noise pollution

I am so glad people have started talking about noise pollution. I have first started appreciating the effect when I observed kids "shut down" or tune out at school due to high levels of noise (I am a pediatric OT.) We used to think of it as an attention deficit but we learned since that some people get so overwhelmed by noise, their cortisol levels rise and they either meltdown or tune out.
I have since spent a lot of my time educating teachers and school coaches to discourage yelling and whistling during indoor sports events because it puts some kids and adults in the state of terror
I have recently read that if we were able to keep the noise under 70 dB, we would eliminate hearing loss, decrease hypertension and reduce incidence of heart attacks: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...ation-of-noise
Once again, I am so happy there are like-minded people around. I find it so maddening when I am walking with my kid in a stroller and a passing motorcycle revs up the engine as it passes us by. It literally feels like an "f u" for no reason whatsoever.
If it bothers you, call your representative. You can make a change in your neighborhood. We have established a limit of 55dBs during the day and under 50dB at night in our neighbourhood. You can download an app that measures noise levels and, if they are above the national standards, talkto your rep. https://www.quietcommunities.org/

Old 04-26-2020, 12:13 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ievaluna View Post
I am so glad people have started talking about noise pollution. I have first started appreciating the effect when I observed kids "shut down" or tune out at school due to high levels of noise (I am a pediatric OT.) We used to think of it as an attention deficit but we learned since that some people get so overwhelmed by noise, their cortisol levels rise and they either meltdown or tune out.
I have since spent a lot of my time educating teachers and school coaches to discourage yelling and whistling during indoor sports events because it puts some kids and adults in the state of terror
I have recently read that if we were able to keep the noise under 70 dB, we would eliminate hearing loss, decrease hypertension and reduce incidence of heart attacks: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...ation-of-noise
Once again, I am so happy there are like-minded people around. I find it so maddening when I am walking with my kid in a stroller and a passing motorcycle revs up the engine as it passes us by. It literally feels like an "f u" for no reason whatsoever.
If it bothers you, call your representative. You can make a change in your neighborhood. We have established a limit of 55dBs during the day and under 50dB at night in our neighbourhood. You can download an app that measures noise levels and, if they are above the national standards, talkto your rep. https://www.quietcommunities.org/

I found a site that says an air conditioner is 60 db. Will that be allowed in soundtopia?

Old 04-26-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ievaluna View Post
Here's an interesting read for you then from Chandler: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ilence/598366/

The Data Center has been more pronounced with the absence of vehicle noises etc. during the SAH order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area