Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:52 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,023,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Did they (or you for that matter) consider that visitors could wear their own masks? I realize they're probably not the "highly sophisticated" N95 masks, but most of them are still effective. Somebody I know who is out of work is making masks on the side as a way to keep busy, make money, and help people all at the same time. Most of all, to ASSume that everybody entering a hospital is contaminated with COVID is another example of alarmism and extreme paranoia. I'd say MRSA is a hell of a lot more serious than COVID, but visitors have always been allowed to visit MRSA patients (although they're required to wear masks & gowns when entering).
Did you really mean what you typed? It's happening day in and day out. People "ASSume" you have something harmful when you walk through security at the airport. Defensive drivers ASSume that another car may run a red light. I can go on for an hour. "Alarmist and paranoia"?? It's all about statistics: less N (events) reduces the odds of a possible contamination. It's why hospital employees normally toss their masks after one wear etc etc. They aren't "paranoid", rather they are mitigating risks.

If an outbreak happens at a hospital because some infected person yanked off their mask midstream and was touching and coughing, that's a problem. The entire hospital world is using that protocol: as they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 PM

15,240 posts, read 12,804,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
All ER's have to at least screen and stabilize any patient that comes to them; Covid-19 or otherwise due to EMTALA: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provide...ads/EMTALA.pdf

I hope your question was just for information/future reference and that you're o.k., Fluffy!
I'm OK, thanks for asking.

A week ago I had a video visit with my new allergist here and was surprised when he prescribed a shopping bag full of medications. Basically just about everything the experienced asthmatic might need to treat herself at home in an emergency. I appreciate his kindness and consideration as I have not left my home in six weeks. I just wondered what could have happened to me if I didn't have those drugs.

In case anyone is putting off finding a new provider, you don't have to. Many local physicians are happy to do video appointments. It would be a shame if because of the quarantine people don't get the care they need.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:37 PM

8,017 posts, read 12,161,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In case anyone is putting off finding a new provider, you don't have to. Many local physicians are happy to do video appointments. It would be a shame if because of the quarantine people don't get the care they need.
It's already happening. So called routine doctor visits and tests for other medical conditions have been postponed because of this "pandemic". General health care is being put on the sidelines all because of this irrational fear. Appointments by way of a video screen are barely an effective substitute for actually being physically examined by a doctor. It's about the same as calling the nurse line at your insurance provider.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's already happening. So called routine doctor visits and tests for other medical conditions have been postponed because of this "pandemic". General health care is being put on the sidelines all because of this irrational fear. Appointments by way of a video screen are barely an effective substitute for actually being physically examined by a doctor. It's about the same as calling the nurse line at your insurance provider.
I disagree, for reasons I choose not to disclose.

Life-saving work can be done with telemedicine.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 3,145,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My daughter works on a COVID floor in a east valley hospital. The whole floor is negative air pressure and COVIDs are taken around the hospital as needed with special procedures. Business is slow FWIW.

I read that Banner has made three of its urgent care locations for non-respiratory patients only.
My neighbor is a nurse with one of the local hospital chains. She is not working right now, they allow for negative hours instead of furloughs though. (Nice!) Hospitals are empty as they are not allowed to perform elective surgeries and they have 25 Covid patients across all their hospitals. Basically a nothing-burger that costs them tons of money.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
My neighbor is a nurse with one of the local hospital chains. She is not working right now, they allow for negative hours instead of furloughs though. (Nice!) Hospitals are empty as they are not allowed to perform elective surgeries and they have 25 Covid patients across all their hospitals. Basically a nothing-burger that costs them tons of money.

Is it still the case that hospitals are not being allowed to perform elective surgeries? Your comment was from a month ago. I was wondering if it had changed.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:58 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,235 times
yes, elective surgeries are being performed in the valley, and, you can go into the hospital to visit a relative now.
also, you can go into the doctors office with your spouse/family member now, and not have to wait outside in the car..

gradually, getting back to "normal" in the medical world, at least from the perspective of a patient..

Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM

50,122 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Did you really mean what you typed? It's happening day in and day out. People "ASSume" you have something harmful when you walk through security at the airport. Defensive drivers ASSume that another car may run a red light. I can go on for an hour. "Alarmist and paranoia"?? It's all about statistics: less N (events) reduces the odds of a possible contamination. It's why hospital employees normally toss their masks after one wear etc etc. They aren't "paranoid", rather they are mitigating risks.

If an outbreak happens at a hospital because some infected person yanked off their mask midstream and was touching and coughing, that's a problem. The entire hospital world is using that protocol: as they should.
We only need to look at what is happening in quite a few retirement/nursing homes.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:32 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I had my own protective gear, even when I first took her to the emergency facility and they still wouldn't let me past the front door; same thing when I went to the hospital to drop off clothes and such for her; I showed up with a mask,face shield, and gloves, and they still wouldn't let me in.

I understood their concern, and yes, if I needed to be given protective gear, that's a whole different story..but I had my own equipment and still wasn't allowed, even after they took my temperature and I answered all their questions about my health..

It's called erring on the side of caution.

It's not a big deal and is the responsible thing to do considering the alternative, if they did not exercise caution.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:42 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post

I hope neither you nor your loved ones catch the coronavirus but if you did, you would find out very quickly how wrong you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area