Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times

Advertisements

I don’t even know where to begin.

Student ghetto is a term that refers to an area near a university that has high numbers of student renters, which maple ash does. Anyone who has spent time in the neighborhood knows it has some very nice, well maintained houses mixed in with a large portion of neglected and sometimes literally boarded up properties. It’s not a big neighborhood- take a walk through and count the number of boarded up windows, overgrown yards, and sagging roofs in desperate need of repair.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-21-2020 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Links to specific Realtor sites not allowed. Zillow is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I don’t even know where to begin. Here’s proof that such listings do exist: [mod cut - deleted link]

Second, student ghetto is a term that refers to an area near a university that has high numbers of student renters, which maple ash does. Anyone who has spent time in the neighborhood knows it has some very nice, well maintained houses mixed in with a large portion of neglected and sometimes literally boarded up properties. It’s not a big neighborhood- take a walk through and count the number of boarded up windows, overgrown yards, and sagging roofs in desperate need of repair.
Well, it's an old neighborhood, and actually considered by many to be historic. In aged areas like this, there are naturally going to be some properties that become neglected and beyond repair. Since I work in downtown Tempe, I have been through this neighborhood from time to time, and I have seen mostly well maintained homes with plush green lawns and shade trees. The number of homes that are beyond repair are very few in number ... nothing of large portions as you described.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-22-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 10:56 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I don’t even know where to begin.

Student ghetto is a term that refers to an area near a university that has high numbers of student renters, which maple ash does. Anyone who has spent time in the neighborhood knows it has some very nice, well maintained houses mixed in with a large portion of neglected and sometimes literally boarded up properties. It’s not a big neighborhood- take a walk through and count the number of boarded up windows, overgrown yards, and sagging roofs in desperate need of repair.
I live in Tempe. I’ve gone through here many times. Maple Ash has my favorite bar so before the closure I was here all the time. What you said is untrue. I live on the other side of ASU and it has a lot more students than Maple-Ash in my area despite there also being a bunch of families. Because my section of Tempe is more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Well, it's an old neighborhood, and actually considered by many to be historic. In aged areas like this, there are naturally going to be some properties that become neglected and beyond repair. Since I work in downtown Tempe, I have been through this neighborhood from time to time, and I have seen mostly well maintained homes with plush green lawns and shade trees. The number of homes that are beyond repair are very few in number ... nothing of large portions as you described.
Yeah it’s beyond exaggeration what that other poster is saying. One random luxury condo doesn’t make up for that most of that area of Tempe is a lot more realistic in price and you can find entire single family homes at the same price as this supposed 450k 1 bed condo. Look on Zillow if you don’t believe me. There’s not a whole lot for sale right now in the neighborhood, but just west of the railroad tracks you’ll find things for sale.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
Casey Moore’s is at the entrance to maple ash. The majority of the neighborhood lies south of there. But all of this is getting off topic. My only point was that while it has many wonderful qualities and some beautiful properties, maple ash is also home to some staggering levels of neglect and disrepair that you wouldn’t ordinarily expect to find in a neighborhood where a single family home starts at over half a million dollars. In most inland states, that kind of money wouldn’t leave you two doors down from a house with boarded up windows or a collapsing porch.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:44 PM

102 posts, read 111,239 times
Default areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ika5 View Post
Hello - I am looking for areas/communities that can check off as many of these boxes as possible. Just really general areas or communities will do for now.
- We are married, mid-40’s, dogs, no kids.
- Access for biking (maybe near the canal).
- Walk or bike to restaurants (we are foodies) would be great. We like Olde Towne, but there may be other area that would work.
- We are early to bed, early to rise
- Somewhere to walk the dogs (nearby park, grass is a bonus for them).
- Close to hiking/outdoor activities (Camelback/McDowell).
- Single-family, but possibly a townhome community would do.
- Nice views for sunset.
Any advice is appreciated and will help me tailor my online search for now.
central Phoenix could work. Arcadia. Scottsdale. parts of north phoenix too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area