Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,559 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am potentially moving in July for a position that is split between a location near Dobson Ranch and a location near the Nuestro areas. (I am moving from the Midwest, so I would be completely new to the area). I have read some articles that suggest east Mesa and Gilbert are the areas to live in. I am wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on some of the better apartment complexes or areas that I should be looking at to live. Ideally, there would be no more than a 20-30 minute commute (less is idea) but also fairly priced. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also prefer an apartment over renting a house. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:05 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
You have lots of options. A price range would help as to what you specifically need or any other amenities you might like to have/be near or are required. Gilbert is more family-oriented so if you are single it may not be exactly what you want, but the area is very safe but also since it is more family oriented, very quiet. It really depends what else you need in terms of finances and lifestyle.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:52 PM

I guess I would be looking anywhere from 700-900 range. I guess I'm not sure what that can get you. I'm looking to live in a safe neighborhood and clean apartment complex but again not so far away that the commute would be terrible. As far as amenities, I'm not really picky on that. I see that many places have pools, fitness centers, etc. but I am more about wanting a quiet safe neighborhood that is reasonably priced.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hi Pinkhulaskirts --

Wow. The housing costs have risen dramatically in the Phoenix area in the past couple of years. In addition, the minimum wage here increased to $12.00/hour effective Jan. 1st, 2020, causing prices to rise on almost everything.

It will be difficult to find a 1 bedroom apt in that price range. Yes, there are some around, but you may find yourself in a situation where some things may have to be compromised, such as safety or covered parking (it is nice to have covered parking to keep your car away from the hot sun).

Remember, most of the apartments here also charge a rental tax on top of the rent. Some charge a separate water bill. but not all of them. In addition, you will get an electric bill and (not as often) a gas bill. The electric bills are highest in the summer when air conditioning is in use, but will go down the rest of the year. Usually 2nd floor apts with vaulted ceilings cost more to cool down. Some apartments have a washer and dryer, some do not, but most of the complexes have an on-site laundry room, which will cost money, and may/may not be open when you want to use it. Many times you need to put money on your laundry card when the apt office is open.

I'm sure you will find many apartment complexes in the area. What I am skeptical about is finding a 1 bedroom in the $700 - $900/month range. Can you possibly raise your rent baseline? Would you consider a studio? They are generally cheaper.

You may want to consider an Apartment Locator Service. They can help you find an apartment and there is no cost to you. They may know of some better deals too.

Good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy your new job.

-- Hollyhock

Old 05-05-2020, 04:15 PM

Hi. Yes, I am not really sure what a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood cost in Mesa. I will look at the Apartment Locator Service to see what they can offer. Do you by chance have any specific neighborhoods that you could suggest that would be safe? Thank you for your help.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:03 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
In addition, the minimum wage here increased to $12.00/hour effective Jan. 1st, 2020, causing prices to rise on almost everything.
Your advice to the OP was otherwise terrific, but this caught my eye and I just thought it was important to put an asterisk here for anyone reading that increases in minimum wages do not in and of themselves cause prices to rise. Some studies have shown in the aggregate, some prices may actually fall when you allow more purchasing power into the system. The statement is simply a popular trope for the masses to take the call to vote down laws that will boost income for others.

https://research.upjohn.org/up_workingpapers/260/

This was an interesting study. Since 1975, restaurants with already thin margins reported a 0.36% increase in customer price for every 10% wage increase.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhulaskirts View Post
Hi. Yes, I am not really sure what a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood cost in Mesa. I will look at the Apartment Locator Service to see what they can offer. Do you by chance have any specific neighborhoods that you could suggest that would be safe? Thank you for your help.

The locator services can guide you some as to the safer areas. Mesa is a very large area in terms of size, and most of it will be okay for you. The locator services will also have connections to smaller complexes in good areas that may not have all the amenities that the more expensive places do, and they don't advertise heavily either, but they are well maintained and safe.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:46 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Your advice to the OP was otherwise terrific, but this caught my eye and I just thought it was important to put an asterisk here for anyone reading that increases in minimum wages do not in and of themselves cause prices to rise. Some studies have shown in the aggregate, some prices may actually fall when you allow more purchasing power into the system. The statement is simply a popular trope for the masses to take the call to vote down laws that will boost income for others.

https://research.upjohn.org/up_workingpapers/260/

This was an interesting study. Since 1975, restaurants with already thin margins reported a 0.36% increase in customer price for every 10% wage increase.
No, not really...case in point would be my local Jersey Mike's. When the wage increase went in, they instantly raised their prices per sandwich $1 as evidenced on their Menu board...until they got new boards they put stickers over the old prices. Remember when Carl's Jr. advertised their $6 burger? It is now $8-$9. Abjectly saying businesses didn't raise their prices or whether those price increases are a direct reaction to wage or if it was just inflation (accelerated by wage increases) is incorrect. Our normal weekly grocery trip that used to run ~$200 is now ~$300 on average. No one else got a wage increase...just the bottom line workers.

That to say, OP...the cost of living has definitely gone up over the past few years. If you are looking for a 1-bed in Gilbert or Mesa, I would look at Mark Taylor properties or some of the other "Luxury Apartment" locations...some are running "free month" specials but you are probably looking at $1200 per month rather than sub $900.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Most of Mesa is safe. It's easier to say which areas to avoid, which for you I would say avoid the 85201/03 zipcodes. And even then, that doesn't really completely sum up the areas. There are hot spots in many areas. But most of Mesa is perfectly safe.

900-950 I would consider minimum for some decent 1 bedroom.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
No, not really...case in point would be my local Jersey Mike's. When the wage increase went in, they instantly raised their prices per sandwich $1 as evidenced on their Menu board...until they got new boards they put stickers over the old prices. Remember when Carl's Jr. advertised their $6 burger? It is now $8-$9. Abjectly saying businesses didn't raise their prices or whether those price increases are a direct reaction to wage or if it was just inflation (accelerated by wage increases) is incorrect. Our normal weekly grocery trip that used to run ~$200 is now ~$300 on average. No one else got a wage increase...just the bottom line workers.
Yeah, really. That's the decision of the business owner who takes quite a few ideas into consideration, including rising food costs, rising rents, and a desire to always grow profits. To simply and literally say that, "Because of a minimum wage hike, prices are higher across the board" ignores every attribute that goes in to pricing and when we blame workers for this specifically, we hurt workers almost across the board who pine for reasonable living wages. We also hurt ourselves (those who make higher than living wages) which is why it is difficult for American workers across the boards in each strata to match increases in wages with inflation. It's hurts all of us to throw over-simplified nonsense like that around.

In your anecdotal claims, you should keep in kind that you're not subsidizing the worker's increase in pay, you're subsidizing that board's desire to grow profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area