Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 10:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
Good to know! I'm glad downtown is growing. From your experience do you see a lot of demand for housing there? Do you see a lot of people bidding for condos and apartments? I love the Roosevelt Historic District
Uh, yeah. Cranes everywhere, and rents and prices soaring (unfortunately)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 12:06 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
One occasional hot day doesn't make the whole month uncomfortable. 94 isn't crazy hot here. With a high of 94 I can spend the entire day outside in the shade and morning and evenings are lovely. I find the weather here delightful 8 months out of the year.
And for those other four months of the year, one can "work around" the hottest parts of the day by staying in the shade or even the A/C. The beauty of Phoenix, is that you can be outside during some significant portion of the 24-hour cycle almost every day of the year and be comfortable - especially wonderful for those who are natural night owls, like me. You can't say that about Chicago in January.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:21 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
And for those other four months of the year, one can "work around" the hottest parts of the day by staying in the shade or even the A/C. The beauty of Phoenix, is that you can be outside during some significant portion of the 24-hour cycle almost every day of the year and be comfortable - especially wonderful for those who are natural night owls, like me. You can't say that about Chicago in January.
Climate change my man. Chicago just had a week long streak of 70-80 degrees in November shattering records. You don't know what the temps in January will be anymore. 115 during this year in Phoenix was way too common, and the heat unbearable. One persons beauty is another's discomfort.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:38 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Climate change my man. Chicago just had a week long streak of 70-80 degrees in November shattering records. You don't know what the temps in January will be anymore. 115 during this year in Phoenix was way too common, and the heat unbearable. One persons beauty is another's discomfort.
I remember a 70°F plus day in January in Chicago once, in 1967. The next day, it snowed 23".

Yeah, it was great here last week. But last night, the brass monkey I have adorning my front yard was banging on my front door while dancing frantically, holding his crotch. He's been around for awhile and knows what's coming for the next four months.

The last winter I worked in Chicago was in 2017/18, we hit -26°F one night, and I believe we had a record number of below-zero days in a row, we froze up a four-hundred thousand gallon (heated) water tank, I never spent a more miserable week in my life trying to keep everything defrosted and working. Bottom line, gimme some of that climate change, I've paid my dues and am ready for some of that Phoenix February sunshine.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:30 AM

13,717 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
I remember a 70°F plus day in January in Chicago once, in 1967. The next day, it snowed 23".

Yeah, it was great here last week. But last night, the brass monkey I have adorning my front yard was banging on my front door while dancing frantically, holding his crotch. He's been around for awhile and knows what's coming for the next four months.

The last winter I worked in Chicago was in 2017/18, we hit -26°F one night, and I believe we had a record number of below-zero days in a row, we froze up a four-hundred thousand gallon (heated) water tank, I never spent a more miserable week in my life trying to keep everything defrosted and working. Bottom line, gimme some of that climate change, I've paid my dues and am ready for some of that Phoenix February sunshine.
That's it right there. The freezing cold. Don't want anything to do with that.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
Good to know! I'm glad downtown is growing. From your experience do you see a lot of demand for housing there? Do you see a lot of people bidding for condos and apartments? I love the Roosevelt Historic District
Last year I drove my wife to downtown Phx several times. Near Washington street there is an AMC theater. We parked in that area. My wife was attending a 90 min. yoga seminar and I waited in a nearby coffee shop. The coffee shop was next door to a large apartment complex. I went inside and asked at the front desk how much a one-bedroom studio went for. I was told a one-bedroom was $1450 but there were none left and the building was 90% full.

As far as construction... you can see it everywhere.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Last year I drove my wife to downtown Phx several times. Near Washington street there is an AMC theater. We parked in that area. My wife was attending a 90 min. yoga seminar and I waited in a nearby coffee shop. The coffee shop was next door to a large apartment complex. I went inside and asked at the front desk how much a one-bedroom studio went for. I was told a one-bedroom was $1450 but there were none left and the building was 90% full.

As far as construction... you can see it everywhere.
That's the AMC 24 Arizona Center, on 3rd St and Fillmore

Old 11-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's the AMC 24 Arizona Center, on 3rd St and Fillmore

I've also been to the Nash Jazz club. The club is a block or so from the light rail station. The area on the other side of light rail appears to be up and coming. Seems like a lot of gentrification going on.

If I had a small or mid-size tech company in SF with expensive office space and employees who paid $3000 a month for a small apartment. I'd seriously consider a move here. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck and Cal. is right next door. Not to mention some in the tech industry have begun to resent being made a scapegoat for the problems in SF.

Phx? Tempe? Humm.. lets look into that.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Suit yourself, but moving to Phoenix strictly for a change in the weather/climate is ridiculous. Many of us who have lived here for a long time actually look forward to LESS sunshine every now & then because we're in a serious drought situation (no significant storm systems since March), and the long dreadful summer we just experienced was the hottest on record. Extreme temperatures create problems, regardless if it's extreme heat or extreme cold. Besides, with more people working from home thanks to the Chinese virus, it's possible to not have to go outside very much if the weather is that miserable.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Suit yourself, but moving to Phoenix strictly for a change in the weather/climate is ridiculous. Many of us who have lived here for a long time actually look forward to LESS sunshine every now & then because we're in a serious drought situation (no significant storm systems since March), and the long dreadful summer we just experienced was the hottest on record. Extreme temperatures create problems, regardless if it's extreme heat or extreme cold. Besides, with more people working from home thanks to the Chinese virus, it's possible to not have to go outside very much if the weather is that miserable.
Speak for yourself. I've lived here for 19 years and still love the sunshine and warmth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area