Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 AM

576 posts, read 831,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgopher View Post
SCG simply has standards. So you don't wake up with a metal dinosaur in your neighbors front yard, as you could in West. It promotes a nicer community and higher home values.
While that is certainly possible, it's unlikely. Some people would rather take that risk than have the HOA police at their door every other day counting how many flowers are in their yard. Everyone is different with different tastes and priorities. I just wanted to make sure that people were aware of the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:49 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
While that is certainly possible, it's unlikely. Some people would rather take that risk than have the HOA police at their door every other day counting how many flowers are in their yard. Everyone is different with different tastes and priorities. I just wanted to make sure that people were aware of the differences.
There is also a difference in HOA styles. Not every HOA acts like the police measuring the length of your grass. Some are very hands-off and just try and keep everything orderly.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
There is also a difference in HOA styles. Not every HOA acts like the police measuring the length of your grass. Some are very hands-off and just try and keep everything orderly.
thats EXACTLY how ours is!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:12 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I agree...but...an HOA can change when someone new comes along. Been there, done that.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:17 PM

23 posts, read 334,687 times
We moved to SCW 1.5 years ago. (We are 58 & 60 years old.) We visited SC, SCW and SC Grand before we chose SCW. We really love the community, primarily because of all the activities/amenities/clubs. The set up at SCW is hard to grasp at first--SCW has CC&Rs with basic rules and fees to use the rec clubs and facilities. We don't find these rules hard to follow but some might (example--you can't park an RV more than 3-days in front of your house, etc.). SOME neighborhoods within SCW have an additional HOA that have more restrictions such as you can't rent your house out, can only plant certain trees, etc. We didn't want to be in any of these neighborhood-specific HOAs. Actually, there are dozens of these neighborhood-specific HOAs but most of the homes in SCW are not in them.

Most of SCW is not in the school tax area but we live in the part that does pay school taxes. We don't mind paying a few hundred $$ a year for school taxes--the kids have to get educated somehow! (We don't even have kids but have never minded paying school taxes for public education.)

I feel that SCW is the best of all worlds--there are older sections with more affordable homes and newer sections with more expensive newer homes. It's not as big as SC yet it has so many things to do. Grand didn't have enough amenities/clubs for us.

Regarding home size--a big house here is about 2,200 sq feet. I'd guess average size is 1,600. For most people moving from other areas this is a downsize but for us it was huge. Almost all the houses are single level (for old folks!)

Old 09-15-2020, 10:59 AM

421 posts, read 390,900 times
It is correct that there are school district taxes in Sun City Festival. I certainly got that wrong. I was just surprised at how much less property taxes were as a whole in Arizona compared to our similar size and cost house in Iowa. In Iowa right at $6,000 a year, here in Festival around $2,500. If you include the HOA fees it still is less than the taxes in our original location.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
I think the worst of the HOAs are the small ones where the owners run the show, do the inspections etc. This encourages neighborhood zealots with little better to do and nitpicking HOAs. In Sun City and many of the larger developments, the HOAs are run by professional management companies that tend to be more fair and less onerous, more big picture.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:17 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think the worst of the HOAs are the small ones where the owners run the show, do the inspections etc. This encourages neighborhood zealots with little better to do and nitpicking HOAs. In Sun City and many of the larger developments, the HOAs are run by professional management companies that tend to be more fair and less onerous, more big picture.
I would agree with that.

I think the biggest problem is when someone new gets elected to an HOA and all hell breaks loose. Been there, done that, and I (for a variety of reasons) and a number of other residents felt we had to move out.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:12 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
No matter what senior community you choose anywhere America. Try to spend as much time visiting it before you buy. In fact rent in one if you can before buying. That way you have a much better way of knowing, if your actually cut out to live in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area