Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,937 times

Advertisements

The heat, the sun, the hot weather

Last edited by Steven Sangron; 07-18-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 12:32 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sangron View Post
When I lived in NYC, I would vacation in Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ every July for 7-10 days. I absolutely loved it. The AZ residents thought I was nuts for vacationing in AZ during one of the hottest months (August being the other). They'd asked me, "why come here in July?" My answer was always the same, "Because I love the heat, hot weather and the sun". That being said, one of my life goals was to get a job and actually live full time in Phoenix. Well in 2015 I did just that. And I've been in Phoenix ever since. I am a TRUE DESERT PERSON. The downside to this however, is the rest of Phoenix, are not. I say this based on 5 years of observations and have come to these conclusions with a question in the end for those people who live in Phoenix:

1) People in Phoenix are afraid of the sun, the air and the heat. They spend 365 days a year in their closed up houses (including closed blinds even if the house is shaded by bushes and trees). People say "oh they come out in the cooler months." No, they don't. Even when it's 70 degrees out, NO ONE (except me) is out sitting on their porch or patios or even swimming in their resort style pools. I just don't get it. I totally understand during the summer months and triple digits staying indoors. I do that. BUT, around 3-4 pm, when the heat of the day is winding down, I'm outside on my shaded patio and swimming in my pool. And I look around the neighbor hood and as usual, I'm the ONLY one outside. Most everyone has a landscaped yard and a nice pool. They pay $$ for the maintenance of this yet they're NEVER and I mean NEVER outside enjoying their yard and pool whether it's 70 degrees or 110 degrees out.

2) People come outside for 3 reasons:
1. To get in their car and go out
2. To go to the mailbox
3. To put the garbage pails out and take them back in

3) During the cooler, no a/c needed months:
1. Drivers NEVER have any of the car windows down getting some fresh cooler air.
2. I'm yet to see someone (other than me) open the windows of their house and air it out. They remain 'closed in' their house in that stagnant stale air.

I tell people here in Phoenix that I LIKE the weather here. I LIKE the sun, the heat and the hot weather. I left NY because I was tired of snow, rain and cold weather. So I don't understand why people choose to live and stay in Phoenix if they don't like DESERT LIVING which includes HOT WEATHER. There are other cooler states to live in. Can someone tell me why they stay and choose to live their lives all year round inside their house????
What may surprise people is 9 out of the 12 months the weather is fine. And no freezing winter months which is what both my wife and I like.

If someone insists on living indoors year round in AZ they've got issues other than the weather.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:34 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
I enjoy the heat. I have grown to dislike the culture in immediate PHX area. The selfish attitudes towards 19 especially.Employment and proximity to other parts of region I have always loved keeps me here. Love the northern AZ 66 towns for true SW culture. Camp up there too on some acreage near Valle and Holbrook. AZ is a nature lovers paradise and have taken advantage of that during 19.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:40 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sangron View Post
Can someone tell me why they stay and choose to live their lives all year round inside their house????
It must just be YOUR neighbors who spend 24/7/365 in their houses,,I know I dont, none of my friends here do, nor do my neighbors..

Obviously, spending too much time in the SUN when its 110+ is just plain stupid, but making a sweeping generalization like that about phoenix is just plain weird and not true

Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times
I just went out for a run this morning, and got back after enjoying doing some outdoor yard work right around 11:30am.

This is the dead heat of summer, and I'm able to go out and enjoy outdoor activities. I'll enjoy the pool later today when it gets even hotter.

I don't understand how people keep overstating the heat here. It's not an issue. AC works amazingly well.

Compare that to the north. I spent a lot of time up north during the winters, and it's not even comparable. Freezing yourself just to go sweep the snow out of the driveway, warm up the car for 10 minutes before getting into drive, not being able to do anything like yard work in the winter, gets bloody old. Especially when the wind chills make it feel far colder than the ambient temperature.

I'll take this heat any day over the cold, because you don't have to shovel sunshine and you can still go out and do normal things 20 out of the 24 hours days even on the hottest days of summer.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:59 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
It must just be YOUR neighbors who spend 24/7/365 in their houses,,I know I dont, none of my friends here do, nor do my neighbors..
I can't figure out how the OP is so certain his neighbors aren't enjoying their back yards. Does he watch them over the wall?

Quote:
Obviously, spending too much time in the SUN when its 110+ is just plain stupid
No kidding. Look at the landscapers, pool guys, construction workers, road crew... Every inch of their skin, to the extent possible, is covered up. Skin cancer is no joke.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Two things come to mind.

The first is, there’s more to life than the weather. A lot of us have roots here, including family and business interests that keep us around.

The other is, a lot of people whine about the heat but I’d say most of us just deal with it.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can't figure out how the OP is so certain his neighbors aren't enjoying their back yards. Does he watch them over the wall?

No kidding. Look at the landscapers, pool guys, construction workers, road crew... Every inch of their skin, to the extent possible, is covered up. Skin cancer is no joke.
very true; I am more concerned about the sun/skin cancer aspect of life out here more than any other..
maybe drinking enough water is a close second, but I dont know of anyone who has lived here more than a year or so that says they arent leaving their houses from May-Ocotber, you just have to be smart about it

I see the OP has removed much of his post, so either he realized how silly it was to say all that, or he went back to NYC where life is so much better..

Old 07-18-2020, 01:35 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
The deleted post, quoted in another above, is rife with generalizations and assumptions.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:37 PM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
I've been trying to get back to the area again to stay long term because I like it better than where I'm currently at. Absolutely hate snow and bitter cold as well and would rather it be 115° than 15° . Its been over 90 here in SC for the past 2 weeks almost because mid summer , and its terrible because the humidity. Can't wait to come back to the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area