Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

We took the cat in, and she's doing fine, although somewhat skittish. I booked a flight to Florida and filed a complaint there...basically sued 'em. We didn't get squat.

The only recourse we have is if they move back to AZ AND reside here. Stealing things ain't gonna be a cause for extradition unless it's above a certain dollar amount.

On the plus side, it'll be on their credit report for 7 years.

Big deal.

Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM

36 posts, read 212,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

On the plus side, it'll be on their credit report for 7 years.

Big deal.

Never again.
Well at least it being on their credit report will alert other potential rental property owners if they're smart enought to do a credit report.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Can't you refuse them entry to your apartment? I mean, even if they have the legal right to do a walk through, you can still refuse to let them in. Ultimately they will need some kind of court order to force you to let them in, and even then it's probably possible to delay the date or refuse on some other grounds--you're feeling sick, you're out of town, you are working long hours. Meanwhile, of course, you need to be looking for another place to live.

I own my own home now after many years of renting--NEVER AGAIN!!!! What a glorious sense of freedom, to own your own place. Luckily, of course, my neighbors are decent. That's the next challenge, once you're an owner.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Can't you refuse them entry to your apartment? I mean, even if they have the legal right to do a walk through, you can still refuse to let them in. Ultimately they will need some kind of court order to force you to let them in, and even then it's probably possible to delay the date or refuse on some other grounds--you're feeling sick, you're out of town, you are working long hours. Meanwhile, of course, you need to be looking for another place to live.

I own my own home now after many years of renting--NEVER AGAIN!!!! What a glorious sense of freedom, to own your own place. Luckily, of course, my neighbors are decent. That's the next challenge, once you're an owner.
No, the owner still has rights to enter. They need to give a 48 hour notice to enter, unless it's an emergency of some sorts. This is why it's SO IMPORTANT for those involved to know the laws with renting. Everyone has rights.

I totally agree with you about the wonderful feeling of owning. I take it for granted a lot, until I drive by an apt complex and remember those days.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Every two months is too often unless the tenant is exhibiting some kind of unusual behavior or otherwise evidencing problems.

Once or twice a year is reasonable. With the required notice.

I lived in apartments for about a dozen years before I bought my house. I never recall even once being asked to let the landlord see my apartment. I imagine they might have shown my apartment a few times when I had given notice I was moving, but never noticed any signs of this.

My advice to the OP is to not make a scene and to move out at the end of the lease.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
You may not be thrilled by this over-eager LL and you should definitely move at the end of the lease. Still, renting in PHX over the last few years was the smart decision. Just look at this every two month intrusion as part of the cost of not participating in the Arizona housing bubble/bust. I would rather deal with this blockhead inspecting his empire than "own" a house worth $100,000 less than it was two years ago.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
You may not be thrilled by this over-eager LL and you should definitely move at the end of the lease. Still, renting in PHX over the last few years was the smart decision. Just look at this every two month intrusion as part of the cost of not participating in the Arizona housing bubble/bust. I would rather deal with this blockhead inspecting his empire than "own" a house worth $100,000 less than it was two years ago.
I definately agree that renting for the past 14 months for me has been the best decision. I have watched home prices continute to sink, and I'll be ready at the end of this lease to buy.
I still own my home in MI and have great tenants who pay their rent on time. I don't call them, I don't bother them when I'm in town, in fact I've only seen them once. As long as their paying my mortgage I'm cool with that!

**UPDATE**

I get yet another call from my landlord on saturday. I missed the call and when I got the message I'm thinking WTF can it possibly be now!
I call him back, and he says he got an offer on his current house and he will be moving soon, and wanted to know If I'm open to the idea of him buying me out of the lease so he won't have to move twice! (he was planning on moving to my condo when my lease was up)
Offered to refund my full security deposit, months rent, pay my moving expenses, pay the difference in rent if I decide to go somewhere more expensive and pay me for my trouble. There is another unit available on the same floor (20th floor) but its about 250 sq. ft smaller than mine. I do love the high-rise where i"m at, the area, and the short drive to work.
So I may just take him up on it, to get away from him, cuz like I said he's a wierdo! I just HATE moving though!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Offered to refund my full security deposit, months rent, pay my moving expenses, pay the difference in rent if I decide to go somewhere more expensive and pay me for my trouble.
That's a fantastic deal!!! If you take it just be sure to get it in writing or get it in cash. And make sure you have a written release allowing you out of your present lease, to ensure that he can't change his mind and sue you for breaking your lease.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
WOW TODAY i was not expecting my POSSIBLY FUTURE not even my "ALREADY LANDLORD " TO COME AND CHECK HOW IM LIVING IN MY APARTMENT NOW since my lease is ending , I HAVENT EVEN GIVIN A DOWN PAYMENT or deposit AS A MATTER A FACT WE JUST MET YERSTERDAY ! AND TODAY HE JUST SHOWS UP , WITH OUT EVEN CALLING to see if i was even here AND ASKING ME TO SEE MY HOLE APARTMENT ! I WAS SHOCKED ! AND SCARED AND FREAKED OUT BY THAT ! i have children and its just me and my kids ! so i dont blaime you for what you did , as a matter a fact i DONT plan on moving to this house at all! espeally after he warned me he will be doing the same in the house if i move in..... i mean what happenes if i take a shower and he decides to just open the door to come into my home

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Every two months is excessive. Every 4 or 6 months is ok.

The tenant can require 48 hours notice and the time should be at the tenants convenience. The landlord should discuss this up front with the tenant and let them know that s/he will give them plenty of notice and do the inspection at their convenience.

I inspect mine every 4 months. It's in my contract so my tenants know up front that I will be doing the inspection.

The primary purpose is to check all the appliances and fixtures to see that everything is operational. There may be something needing repair that the tenant has just decided to live with and not reported. If there is something needing repair then I get it taken care of, so the tenant is happy. They also know they can call me if there is a problem and I'll respond quickly.

The secondary reason is to see if there is any damage to the house. If a husband has gotten angry with the spouse and put his fist through a wall, then I have a problem discovered early and can deal with it. It may be a matter of discussing that I'll have the door replaced at their expense, and that may solve the issue in a friendly manner so that next time he'll take his anger out in some other way.

I'll also know if someone is starting a meth lab in there. I think it's pretty hard to hide that.

The reason I do it every 4 months, instead of 6, is that when I go there I treat the exterior for termites and insects. I do my own spraying because I don't dilute the chemicals like the spray companies do. It costs me more in chemicals but it also helps keep insects out of the house and the tenants appreciate that.

I don't spray inside because I don't want to be responsible if they have a pet. It is the tenant responsibility to spray the inside, but if I do my job on the outside then they shouldn't have to spray inside.

If a landlord is being unreasonable, then it should be discussed with him/her and work out a more reasonable inspection frequency. If s/he remains unreasonable, then of course leave at the end of the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area