Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
That's an amazing positive spin to a bad situation. Most of Gilbert stinks to the high heavens. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that more people don't complain about it. Maybe they don't want to publicly acknowledge it for fear of hurting their property values.

In any event, perhaps your family could have found a less expensive home next to a sewer or waste-water treatment facility. At least you'd sleep well at night.

How long has it been since you've visited Gilbert? Almost all of the dairies are gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,964,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
How long has it been since you've visited Gilbert? Almost all of the dairies are gone now.
Yeah I watched them disappear one by one and it was kind of sad.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,165,586 times
I was last in Gilbert/Chandler in 2006. Couldn't stand the stench and haven't ventured back since. We have our friends drive over to visit/bbq with us now. If I wanted to smell cow poop all day/night, I would have stayed in Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM

39 posts, read 154,067 times
Been in Gilbert for 3 years.
Loves:
safety, even at night
friendly people
great schools, many to choose from, almost too many
great hospitals, just barely opened in the last year
mix of older farm neighborhoods and newer stuff
(only place I've noticed the smell is the Val Vista/Ocotillo area

Dislikes:
my husband's commute from downtown Phoenix
lack of culture, especially for kids.
all the shopping is starting to look the same

hope that helps!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,301,970 times
Thanks! I think Gilbert sounds great. I'm looking for safety and it sounds safe in Gilbert! I'd rather have poo smelling air once in awhile than have to worry about home invasions.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Thanks! I think Gilbert sounds great. I'm looking for safety and it sounds safe in Gilbert! I'd rather have poo smelling air once in awhile than have to worry about home invasions.

Thanks!

Why? Because home invasions cannot happen in Gilbert?

Home invasions can happen anywhere...they even happen in Beverly Hills...

Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 AM

Well, I realize that but let's just say their crime statistics show that home invasion is not something to worry about

Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM

PS plus Beverly Hills is not a good comparison. I don't know if you have spent much time in BH but let me attest that there are homeless sleeping right outside of mansion gates. Santa Monica Beach is covered with homeless. There are so many illegals roaming the streets,etc. So just because it is BH doesn't mean it's a crime free area. If you go to the Fashion Disctrict in LA you would want to go home and take a shower just from driving through there. It;s filthy, drug addicts, mentally insane,etc.

So I would hope that Gilbert is safer than Beverly Hills

Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
10 years in LA. Just moved last July...

Beverley Hills does not have much crime. Murders are scarce. Crime is actually very low...BH is much safer then Gilbert...but the income is much higher so you should expect that.

Gilbert has had 10 murders from 2001 - 2006. BH has had 3 during the same time period.

Gilbert has had 150 Rapes from 2001-2006. BH has had 39 during the same time period.

The only stat that BH had more in was Robbery.

More Burglary, more Larceny, more Theft, more auto Theft, and more arson in Gilbert then in BH.

Gilbert is a larger city but BH is situated in a larger population base and next to (like you said) a crime cesspool in Hollywood.

Plus, the Homeless do not live in Beverley Hills, maybe near Hollywood Blvd but no where near BH. The police would run them off...hell they pull you over if you are black and driving a Mercedes...but that is a different topic...

And yes, Santa Monica is full of homeless, but Santa Monica Beach/Pier is not near Beverley Hills and the Homeless are not to blame for home invasion robberies. Maybe petty thefts but they do not have the means needed to pull off a home invasion.

The Fashion District is in Downtown...worlds away from BH, Santa Monica...

Source of crime stats
Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

And the Safest city in Arizona (Phoenix) is not Gilbert (2nd) it is Surprise.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:02 AM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Well, I didn' t live in BH. I attended Loyola Mary Mount so I am just going off what I observed when I was there. We used to walk in the area of the Beverly Hills Hotel and went to the park there everyday. We always saw homeless laying all over the benches and the lawns with newspaper.

I would venture to guess that the majority of people have alarms on their homes so the crimes are probably in the druggies on the streets robbing people,etc.

The area in Santa Monica was in the park above the beach. It's a disgrace there. I actually wrote to the Govenor about it. I just don't get how they can turn there back on thousands. I bet there was 100 people sleeping there in the AM when we would walk and YES we did see them laying on the beach covered in news paper.

It amazed me with plastic injectected Celebs with donkey lips are running around trying to save the world and we have homeless in their own back yard.

Anyway, you are right, no where is 100% safe. Since you brought it to my attention of how much crime there is in Gilbert, I will keep looking around. I was under the impression it was a safe area with no home invasions. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area