Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,913 times

Advertisements

Help me with your opinions of Gilbert please

Name 5 reasons you love Gilbert and 5 reasons you don't love it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM

203 posts, read 810,366 times
we as a family love gilbert. ray and recker area.
good schools
quiet at night
close shopping
just far enough away from the city
close to x press way

Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,962 times
I've lived in Gilbert since 1989, when the population was 20,000. There has been tremendous growth, and for a good reason - it's a great place to live. It has a low crime rate, good schools, lots of new shopping centers, etc. It's just a short drive to the airport, or downtown Phoenix...yet, far enough away.

I enjoy live music, and there isn't much of it to be found. They have a "Concert in the Park" at Freestone Park on the first Thursday of the month, but other than that.....not much.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,408 times
Things I love about Gilbert:

The city pride (Gilbert days, nice parks, etc)

That I live on a 1.25 acre property in a quiet, friendly and safe neighborhood with no HOA (built in 1976)

That all of the regular conveniences are very close

That I have good schools and medical facilities close by.

The people who live close to me are some of the friendliest I've come in contact with in the Phoenix area (most have lived in the area for decades). Also, the laid back feel of the town. My parents live in south Scottsdale, and though I know plenty of people who are very laid back there, those who come off as pretentious seem to stand out. Even the affluent in Gilbert are very down to earth, from my experience.

One more: that it's cooler in my area than in most other parts of the valley (because the houses have more space and vegetation between them than most neighborhoods do).

Ok, I lied, last one: that my area has a very diverse group of inhabitants. I am neighbors with mormons, jack mormons, non-religious people, business people, blue collar workers, stay at home moms, rockers and partiers (I get to listen to the band rehearse across the street several times per week), and other types of people, all of them delightful and very friendly.

Ack...one more. I live close enough to the railroad tracks that I can hear the horn at night, but it's not too loud. I love that sound for some odd reason.

What I don't like:

Driving so far for jobs or entertainment, though it's not really that bad.

The suburban feel of the town, even if it has a kind of old west rugged individualism attitude. (wish we had more 24 hour places to hang out)

I wish there were more museums and fun stuff for kids. There are lots of playgrounds, but those are unusable in the summer.

Not being able to see the scenery. My boyfriend has lived in this house since he was 3 years old, and he says that he remembers being able to see the Superstitions and the 60 from the house, way back then. I wish that some of the neighborhoods hadn't packed too many houses in when the building boom in Gilbert was going on.

Trailing left turn lights on Guadalupe. I'm used to them, but many people aren't, so it's annoying that it's the only street in the area that has them.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I do love it here though. The irritations are but minor ones

Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,366 times
Only things i know about gilbert

smells like cow poo
giant res in the middle
affordable housing.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Only things i know about gilbert

smells like cow poo
giant res in the middle
affordable housing.
It doesn't all smell like cow poo. I used to live where it smelled like cow poo but you get used to it. When my friends would visit from the west side that would always say it stunk. I actually felt like I was in the country and it helped me sleep better

Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Help me with your opinions of Gilbert please

Name 5 reasons you love Gilbert and 5 reasons you don't love it.

Thanks!
Lots of shopping
Good schools
close to freeways
easy drive to airport
I'm just very comfortable in Gilbert
It's clean

What I don't like?
Not too much entertainment besides restaurants and movies.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,714 times
That's an amazing positive spin to a bad situation. Most of Gilbert stinks to the high heavens. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that more people don't complain about it. Maybe they don't want to publicly acknowledge it for fear of hurting their property values.

In any event, perhaps your family could have found a less expensive home next to a sewer or waste-water treatment facility. At least you'd sleep well at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
When my friends would visit from the west side that would always say it stunk. I actually felt like I was in the country and it helped me sleep better

Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
That's an amazing positive spin to a bad situation. Most of Gilbert stinks to the high heavens. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that more people don't complain about it. Maybe they don't want to publicly acknowledge it for fear of hurting their property values.

In any event, perhaps your family could have found a less expensive home next to a sewer or waste-water treatment facility. At least you'd sleep well at night.

It was true, It was relaxing after living off a noisy polluted car exhaustive street in Glendale. I didn't realize how relaxing it would be to live close to a farm.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
that my area has a very diverse group of inhabitants. I am neighbors with mormons, jack mormons, non-religious people, business people, blue collar workers, stay at home moms, rockers and partiers (I get to listen to the band rehearse across the street several times per week), and other types of people, all of them delightful and very friendly.
Good morning Artliquide. You don't have any neighbors that are Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area