Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 07:19 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Which is further evidence that we should improve our economic focus. AZ needs to be less reliant on volatile factors like snowbirds/seasonal tourism, and more reliant on attracting permanent transplants who are highly skilled & business oriented, and those who will bring in steady revenue during all times of the year other than just during the winter months.
I think Phoenix has done a good job of this, it's much more diverse and the influx of winter visitors is icing on the cake. What will be telling is how well Tucson fares, I live in an area that depends on the five months of Snowbird season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 08:31 AM

475 posts, read 318,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Canadians are always allowed to enter Canada, period.

Yes, they have to quarantine when coming in from the US. But most of the people I have talked to about this aren't going to the US because the US is nuts right now, in regards to both COVID spread, and politically. Nothing to do with the border.
Don't disagree about the spread of Covid or crazy politics but isn't the AM/CAN still closed to non-essential travel until sometime in November?

Old 10-24-2020, 09:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Don't disagree about the spread of Covid or crazy politics but isn't the AM/CAN still closed to non-essential travel until sometime in November?

Canadians can't drive to the US for fun, but can still fly. Which is weird, but I don't make the rules!

Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
I've read some articles describing accounts of Americans being harassed in Canada these days (see link). These are people who own property in Canada and have legitimate cause to be there, yet are being told to go back to the US by Canadians who see them in public, or having their cars with US plates vandalized. We aren't welcome in their country, and they aren't able to come here either, so be it.

https://www.businessinsider.in/inter...w/77453281.cms

Old 11-01-2020, 11:21 AM

30,154 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Splendid!

The campaign was a success.
What is the campaign? Hurt the economy in the state?

Back in Tucson and I do see less out of state motorhomes and trailers. In fact much less.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:49 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Back in Tucson and I do see less out of state motorhomes and trailers. In fact much less.
I've been counting out of state plates in my local grocery store parking lot. Yesterday I only saw one from California. Typically by this time of year I will see a few and at the height of Snowbird season roughly a third of the cars in the lot are from cold weather states.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Apparently, there's a loophole that allows the border to be crossed via air, but not by land. For snowbirds, the workaround is to have a vehicle shipped across the border while the owner flies:

https://ktar.com/story/3724029/canad...-into-arizona/

Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Not good for the Phoenix area. They help keep all the valley liquor stores in business.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:13 PM

20 posts, read 25,188 times
Default But We Miss You

We understand that the influx of snowbirds can be a nuisance.

But most of you make it so darned inviting to come for our yearly visits! For the past 7 years, we have enjoyed the hospitality of your community.

We're not your typical snowbirds.

We live in a multi-aged community . . . no retirement area for us. So we respect that you have to work and your kids have school. No parties at our house!
We rarely eat out . . . but we do grab pizza from Papa Murphy's on Tuesday!
We don't go to sporting events . . . except for the occasional round of golf at Luke AFB (we're retired military).
We don't shop at prime time.
We DEFINITELY don't drive on the I-10, Loop 101 or any other major thoroughfare during morning or evening rush hours.

We do all those things - because we enjoy your hospitality and want to continue feeling welcome.

So even if you don't miss the snowbirds. . . . please know that these snowbirds miss you!

Old 01-15-2021, 05:11 AM

83 posts, read 45,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsaro View Post
We understand that the influx of snowbirds can be a nuisance.

But most of you make it so darned inviting to come for our yearly visits! For the past 7 years, we have enjoyed the hospitality of your community.

We're not your typical snowbirds.

We live in a multi-aged community . . . no retirement area for us. So we respect that you have to work and your kids have school. No parties at our house!
We rarely eat out . . . but we do grab pizza from Papa Murphy's on Tuesday!
We don't go to sporting events . . . except for the occasional round of golf at Luke AFB (we're retired military).
We don't shop at prime time.
We DEFINITELY don't drive on the I-10, Loop 101 or any other major thoroughfare during morning or evening rush hours.

We do all those things - because we enjoy your hospitality and want to continue feeling welcome.

So even if you don't miss the snowbirds. . . . please know that these snowbirds miss you!
Nice try.

You would not be speaking like a romantic horny school boy if not for our weather.
You miss “us”... ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area