Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM

445 posts, read 400,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is keeping you from buying? Even if you have to move.
Credit is not that good. I don't have the down payment (10%). I make enough for a mortgage but friends and family feel a single woman is safer in an apartment.

I think owning is the smart way to go but I've always felt houses were for families or married couples. I guess i'm "old school" in that respect. Times are a changing. That's for sure.

Tiny houses appeal to me. The minimalist in me loves that tv show.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:19 AM

50,549 posts, read 47,368,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Credit is not that good. I don't have the down payment (10%). I make enough for a mortgage but friends and family feel a single woman is safer in an apartment and some of my friends feel it's dangerous for women to live alone in a house.

I think owning is the smart way to go but I've always felt houses were for families or married couples. I guess i'm "old school" in that respect. Times are a changing. That's for sure.

if people would get over the stigma they can buy a travel trailer and live in a family park for pretty darn cheap.

Living in an apt complex has way more crime attached to it than a SFH. There isn't even a comparison. More people equals more crime. There is always the option of a handgun if someone feels they are in danger.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What is keeping you from buying? Even if you have to move.
I'm good right now. My whole thread was about another renter. I think the next step will be to buy.

But we are entering into a DEPRESSION. Who knows what our economy will look like by this summer?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
if people would get over the stigma they can buy a travel trailer and live in a family park for pretty darn cheap.

Living in an apt complex has way more crime attached to it than a SFH. There isn't even a comparison. More people equals more crime. There is always the option of a handgun if someone feels they are in danger.
Thank you. I will take note.

Also want to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Thank you so much. It's been very informative and fun.

I think the bottom line is America is becoming CHINA and they pretty much own almost everything now.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well, don't complain then. If you can't even support the existence of public housing, but don't like what the "free market" is doing either, don't know what to tell you....
Yeah. You're right. I shouldn't complain. I just know natives who told me that Arizona was very affordable for years. What happened?

Now not so affordable. It's doable but a struggle to keep up. I'd have to compromise by sharing a unit or improve my skills for better pay.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:34 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,300,843 times
Quote:
Actually, the story I presented was based on my research. I wanted to know more about the CA company that bought my current apartment complex so I checked on reviews.

Just 3 months ago, a reviewer shared her frustration over the $300 increase by this CA company. I believe it will be coming to my complex as well come this summer.

I give up.
So, let me get this straight. You write up this novel complaining about China and rent increases, all the while you are obviously becoming completely unhinged - and it's all hypothetical? Your rent hasn't even increased? Wow.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 AM

827 posts, read 421,040 times
And expect to see more. Small landlords will be pushed out with the covid 19 eviction bans. And not worth the risk. And they dont have the resources.

With Larger companies this is normal. The goal of any company is to make a profit. And at todays cost of overhead, building and risk. That means renting at a higher rate.
Impossible to build or buy a multifamily at current prices and make a profit unless you charge more. Reason there is not more people buying houses just to rent out.

it is still simply supply and demand. And with Libs letting in 10's of millions of illegals we can expect the supply to get worse.

I dont blame the Landlords. Not much different than a single person that leaves a job for a higher paying one. Most do this when they can. You could say not fair to old employers whose business dos not make enough to pay a higher raise.

I blame the Liberals in goverment more. What they do to buy votes is bad longterm.
They do everything to lower supply and raise the cost of building new. Especially California. Where with the restrictions, fees and permits it cost more to build a 1 bedroom apartment than a 3 bed house in other areas.

With the business now being way more risky and millions more people to house. You can guess where prices are going.
Your case is out of the ordinary with a 300.00 increase. Give it a year or two and it will be the norm.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Most renters have no idea what expenses go along with owning property. One unit can have a pipe burst or need to have the unit's pool fixed. Slab cracks, removing asbestos, replacing a roof. There are many things that can run into tens of thousands of dollars that would overall raise everyone's rent.

If that bothers people their heads will explode when they find out they can be fired for no reason at all.
Oh believe me, I'm a renter that does know. One of the reasons I'm apprehensive to buy. The thought of having a needed five figure repair is enough to make me turn white

Old 12-08-2020, 09:43 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,963 times
Why are RANDOM words all caps?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:45 AM

14,033 posts, read 8,188,523 times
Quote:
Credit is not that good. I don't have the down payment (10%). I make enough for a mortgage but friends and family feel a single woman is safer in an apartment.

Fannie Mae requires a minimum 620 credit score for fixed-rate mortgages and a 640 credit score for adjustable-rate mortgages.

https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...ae-guidelines/

Then...

How much of a down payment do I need for a Fannie Mae loan?

For borrowers looking to buy a single-family home, the maximum LTV ratio for most Fannie Mae loans is now 95%, which means a borrower would need a minimum down payment of 5%.

The key is to get your credit score up. The higher the score the easier it will be to get a loan with a small down payment.

However, the first thing you need to do is... stop whining. There is no need to "explain" your situation. People don't care. AZ landlord/tenant laws aren't going to favor renters or at least not anytime soon.

Now, I'll be 63 this Jan. My eyesight is getting weak and I've already begun to get arthritis in my fingers. I suspect you're half my age or younger. I have property. Money in the bank. You have youth.

I would trade it all to be broke, living in a boarding house... and 27 again.

Last edited by john3232; 12-08-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area