Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 05:59 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
It’s comments like this that expose one’s failure to recognize that we still live in a capitalistic, free enterprise society.
Have you considered moving to Venezuela?

I’m amazed at how people like you believe “whining” will change their state of misery. Try working harder/longer/smarter so you can make more money. That’s much more effective than pissing and moaning.
I already work over 60 hrs per week. How much is enough?

And not wanting rents and home prices to continue into the stratosphere doesn't mean one wants to move to Venezuela. Why is it always black and white with people like yourself? Their is plenty of grey area in between......

Old 12-09-2020, 06:02 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm so sick of this saying. If you're already making a profit, no need to increase your price, especially by 44%!
You've got to be kidding? You're a truck driver now, but let's say one day you decide you want to own your own trucking company (after learning the ins and outs of the business). If it's YOUR business, do you think you would just try to skate by with just a small profit, or as an owner do you think you would try to do whatever you could to make the most profit? Because with more profit, you are able to do more things, like hire more drivers, buy more trucks, etc.

When you stop thinking in terms of victimhood, things start to make more sense.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You've got to be kidding? You're a truck driver now, but let's say one day you decide you want to own your own trucking company (after learning the ins and outs of the business). If it's YOUR business, do you think you would just try to skate by with just a small profit, or as an owner do you think you would try to do whatever you could to make the most profit? Because with more profit, you are able to do more things, like hire more drivers, buy more trucks, etc.

When you stop thinking in terms of victimhood, things start to make more sense.
I know the ins and outs of the industry now, and know what expenses are involved, to the point where I will probably never own my own company. In fact, the trucking industry is consolidating, more owner operators are going out of business, due to not being able to eek out a profit these days, which is reducing the industry to fewer and fewer "mega carriers". One truck only nets a profit of $10,000/year on average after driver pay and expenses, which means you need to own a minimum of 5 trucks and have them all running and earning revenue just to profit $50,000 in one year. Any trucking company with less than 10 trucks, odds are, the owner themselves is driving one of those trucks in addition to having to run the business. You need a startup capital of at least $200,000 to begin even a modest trucking company. And if I had that type of money, I would use it to buy a house or condo. So I'll realistically always be a company driver and never be able to start my own company

Old 12-09-2020, 06:38 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
I will get harassed for what I'm about to say and this is why I was hesitant to post for quite a few months. I don't care anymore!! Something needs to be said! I know who my BULLY is and apparently I was told he was doing that because he is in the real estate business! Let's be clear!! People like him could CARE LESS about the little guy!!

This is not about SUPPLY and DEMAND! THIS IS ABOUT PURE EVIL!!

California property management companies are buying up apartments left and right here in ARIZONA!! They are raising the rent by $200 to $300 a month?? It's DISGUSTING!!

People are being STRIPPED of any money they have left over in order to put a roof over their heads! After they pay the rent, there isn't much to LIVE ON!! It wasn't always this way! It USED TO BE AFFORDABLE!! BUT $300 more each month??? IS THAT NOT DISGUSTING?!! WE CAN'T ALL BE LAWYERS WHO CAN AFFORD OUTRAGEOUS RENTS!!!

It's VERY WRONG!! It boils down to PURE GREED!!

Mind you I will get harassed by a CUT and PASTE SNOB who likes to drag up anything negative on me in the past with prior comments!!

SO BE IT!! I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE!!!

I am speaking up the for the little guy!!

The little guy who is getting OBLITERATED due to GREED!!

Here is the SOLUTION!!

Put a CAP on how much you can raise the rent LEGALLY here in ARIZONA? NOTHING justifies raising it by $300 a month! Nothing!! THAT SHOULD BE MADE ILLEGAL!!! A reasonable adjustment is needed! But hundreds??!! NO WAY!!!

There is no justification other than GREED!!

Soooo everybody wants to be a millionaire today! Isn't that nice?! Slap on a few cheap renovations and claim it's worth the hundreds more each month!! PATHETIC!!

Screw the little guy! Is that your plan? The little guy needs to move out of AZ!! Isn't that what you've said all along so the elite can move in! You STUCK UP SNOBS!!! YOU DISGUST ME!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! THIS MUST STOP!!

Enjoy your Maserati and your gourmet ice-cream while the little guy struggles to make ends meet!!!

I am not against CAPITALISM!! I am against PURE EVIL MOVES in order to GET RICH with no CONSIDERATION or CARE for the person who is renting your UNIT?! Zero!!

THIS MUST STOP!!

You are EXPLOITING innocent people in order to make a PROFIT!! Bottom line!!

"He/she must be a democrat/liberal."

I equate that to evil these days.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
But it is always better to rent.... Lol.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:52 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know the ins and outs of the industry now, and know what expenses are involved, to the point where I will probably never own my own company. In fact, the trucking industry is consolidating, more owner operators are going out of business, due to not being able to eek out a profit these days, which is reducing the industry to fewer and fewer "mega carriers". One truck only nets a profit of $10,000/year on average after driver pay and expenses, which means you need to own a minimum of 5 trucks and have them all running and earning revenue just to profit $50,000 in one year. Any trucking company with less than 10 trucks, odds are, the owner themselves is driving one of those trucks in addition to having to run the business. You need a startup capital of at least $200,000 to begin even a modest trucking company. And if I had that type of money, I would use it to buy a house or condo. So I'll realistically always be a company driver and never be able to start my own company
It was a hypothetical situation, but you're kind of proving my point. These smaller truck companies can only make so much profit, so it hurts them and they eventually have to consolidate. You don't think they would try to make more profit if they could?

Being a landlord is no different. They are just a business owner too, trying to make the most profit as possible. If people are willing to pay the rent, I don't see the problem. Sure it sucks for someone like you, who wants to live in a centrally located desirable area. But you can't always have your cake and eat it too. A lot of people have sacrificed commute times by moving further out so they can become homeowners. It's a sacrifice you need to be willing to make if you want to own. Simple as that.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It was a hypothetical situation, but you're kind of proving my point. These smaller truck companies can only make so much profit, so it hurts them and they eventually have to consolidate. You don't think they would try to make more profit if they could?

Being a landlord is no different. They are just a business owner too, trying to make the most profit as possible. If people are willing to pay the rent, I don't see the problem. Sure it sucks for someone like you, who wants to live in a centrally located desirable area. But you can't always have your cake and eat it too. A lot of people have sacrificed commute times by moving further out so they can become homeowners. It's a sacrifice you need to be willing to make if you want to own. Simple as that.
I'd rather rent than commute if it comes to that. Commuting wouldn't be horrible if I only worked 8 hrs per day, but I work 12 to 14 hrs per day. Which means I only get as little as 10 hrs per day to eat, sleep and take care of business at home. Even with my short commute now, I am only able to get 6 hrs of sleep a night most nights.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,296,787 times
it will never stop . Salaries and wages will always be behind what it takes to live comfortably. In 2018 my salary was 5 k less,
my rent and utilities were also 300 less a month , so its like treading water , the new American dream just keep treading water until you can't work anymore . The American consumer capitalist society works fantastic ! just not for everyone .

Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
it will never stop . Salaries and wages will always be behind what it takes to live comfortably. In 2018 my salary was 5 k less,
my rent and utilities were also 300 less a month , so its like treading water , the new American dream just keep treading water until you can't work anymore . The American consumer capitalist society works fantastic ! just not for everyone .
Yep. I doubled my salary between 2015 and this year, but home prices went up 80% in that time frame, and rent increased around the same pace. So if you can't increase your pay 20% each year, you're getting poorer in real terms

Old 12-09-2020, 07:51 AM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
At the end of this year I will pocket roughly 25 grand after all expenses have been paid including my own.

I will use the 25 grand...

I have a renter that is moving out at the end of Dec. I will spend roughly 7 grand to tile the interior and another 4 paint the interior/exterior. The property I live in needs the interior/exterior painted as well as new carpet. Another 6 grand. The flooring in the AZ room needs to be replaced. As does the door. The pool cleaning system needs to be replaced. I can't think about moving out and renting this home until all the work is done.

CDC Issues Eviction Moratorium expires at the end of this month. (To my knowledge Covid-19 hasn't affected my tenants work or health. Still it's best to wait until the moratorium expires before giving notice to vacate.)
https://www.azdisabilitylaw.org/cdc-...on-moratorium/

I have renters paying $1350 for a $1900-$2000 rental (moved in 2014) who can't afford the increase. Not even $250 more. In fact they could get upset and start demanding new this or that. Hell, they wanted me to paint the interior last year which I did. Renter rule 101: if you've got a great deal on the rent don't nag the landlord for cosmetic and/or minor repairs.

I will give them plenty of notice... but they've got to go. I need the extra 4-5 grand a year I will get from this property. I'm going to replace the carpet with tile, put in a new stove and dishwasher. New faucets.

On the first of each month I get a fat amount of rental income deposited into my bank account. However, it's the end of the month which counts. How much do I have left?

Not nearly as much as some might think.

Last edited by john3232; 12-09-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area