Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 10:40 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Then I add a one hour or more commute to my 12 to 14 hr work day. That would leave me 4 hrs to sleep. Can't do it
Didn't you say before that you work in Mesa? That's not near Coronado although I understand it may be on light rail.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:53 AM

445 posts, read 399,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
But is anyone surprised to find that some landlords are unconscionably greedy?

It probably doesn't help that most Arizonans seem proud to be in a state that has little business regulation, and not much concern about the citizens.
How do you explain how it's been an AFFORDABLE PLACE to live for many years according to many native here?

Were they not just as greedy in the past?

Old 12-09-2020, 10:54 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Work is off 43rd Ave&Elwood St. Only homes in my price range with a reasonable commute are in Estrella or Laveen. Forget that, would rather rent
Do you have kids? If not, how about a condo? Found plenty of cool places that you could own, still be in a hip area, and close to work.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...68533398_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...78061258_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...81997893_zpid/

Believe it or not, many of us on here are actually trying to help you.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Bingo. The "Tiny Home" concept is nothing new, it was first created after WWII with the invention of "trailer parks", which morphed into "mobile home communities" as the homes got larger and less mobile. Today, many mobile homes are built with 2x6 walls, very nice furnishings, and have more square footage than most apartments (and many houses). And, they are no longer "mobile", once they are positioned, the trailer tongues are cut off and they're likely there forever.

The problem is, most of the older, pre-1980 mobile homes have deteriorated to the point where they are no longer economical to upkeep, and are being torn down. The new McMobile Mansions are getting pretty expensive; again, due to their size and amenities, some of them are going well upwards of $100K. And, no one is building new mobile home parks, and many of the older ones now need infrastructure upgrades (roads, underground utilities, etc. are all wearing out); plus, no one wants new MH communities built in their area because they do not generate real estate taxes large enough to cover the services they eat (schools, etc.). I've got a friend in central IL with a park, and he expects to close it in the not-too near future, because it needs infrastructure upgrades that cannot be paid by the limited amount of tenants (because Peoria, and Illinois at large, are losing population). If his park was in Arizona, he'd be swimming in cash.

Arizona is a sought-after place to live primarily because of weather. California is a better example of this, and an even better example is Hawaii. Take away that great weather, and you'll eventually have Kansas (but at least in Kansas you can farm without water worries). Which brings me to my point - the OP should check out central Kansas, I just saw a recently-built, very nice home on an acre of land outside of a small town there for $150K. Same thing can be found all over the midwest and south. Low crime, very nice people, put down roots and grow your community, some small towns in Kansas are giving away lots to those who will build homes there. So, stay where the weather's better and get eaten alive by "Chinese landlords", or move where it's more affordable, maybe even become a landlord yourself. I can afford to live in California if I want, but choose not so because of the politics. If more people did so, there would be no huge bumps in rents, because the landlords would have to fight for tenants. Supply and demand. Demanding on C-D that one be allowed to eat their cake and have it too, is a bit like standing on your front porch and yelling at clouds.
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. Something to think about.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
THANK YOU for POSTING this. It HAS given me a LAUGH and made my DAY! WHAT you don't MENTION is WHAT the STARTING point for ALL of this WAS and for how LONG. If the starting point WERE $3,000, then a $300 INCREASE MIGHT not HAVE been SO bad. ALSO, if the RENT weren't RAISED for a DECADE, then it might BE overDUE. NOT enough INFORMATION to JUDGE from your hypothetical SCENARIO.
I don't have that information unfortunately. Sorry. Just going by her review and how crushed she was.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Didn't you say before that you work in Mesa? That's not near Coronado although I understand it may be on light rail.
No, I haven't worked in Mesa in over 2 years. My job is off 43rd Ave&Elwood St

Old 12-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Do you have kids? If not, how about a condo? Found plenty of cool places that you could own, still be in a hip area, and close to work.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...68533398_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...78061258_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...81997893_zpid/

Believe it or not, many of us on here are actually trying to help you.
We've considered the condo route, and is honestly the way we'll go, but don't have a down-payment. We want to put at least $30k down on whatever we buy

Old 12-09-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
So, let me get this straight. You write up this novel complaining about China and rent increases, all the while you are obviously becoming completely unhinged - and it's all hypothetical? Your rent hasn't even increased? Wow.
Wow. I'm not allowed to have compassion and care about other people. Just wow.

And I'm not unhinged. I know far too many people who are hurting financially and the increasing rents are killing them.

But wow. Whatever. Carry on.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:13 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Boo hoo, world's smallest violin playing a tune just for the landlords.

If you have to raise rent that much to make it work, sell it and find a different line of work. I've never seen an apartment complex jack rent by anywhere near 50%
Boo hoo, world's smallest violin playing for those who have no desire to work toward a higher career goal and have a more lucrative income. All too typical of you and the OP who want the government to step in and implement price controls. While nobody wants to struggle paying for a place to live, I see the increase in rental & home prices as mostly a good sign. It means that (hopefully) all the rejects who only want sunshine & cheap housing will now look elsewhere besides Phoenix. Maybe you, and especially the phony Miss Mouse should try to find such a place.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:15 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheStars View Post
I am not a troll. You are the entitled one whining about things and how you deserve good rent while working 60 hours a week as a truck driver earning $60K. That's pathetic.. Meanwhile, suckers on here are actually looking for condos for you. What a winner.
You need to change your mindset. Choose to be better.
Maybe if you didn't spend so much money on a camaro you'd have something for a downpayment on a condo. Condos aren't that expensive. Certainly cheaper than renting.
lol @ "The thought of fixing something that will cost me 5 figures makes me 'white'."
you certainly don't have anything useful to add there. we can't all be president of the united states! wtf is wrong with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area