Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 05:37 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,708,848 times

Advertisements

Or is it now just Home Depot and Ace, with everyone else driven out of business?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 06:28 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Or is it now just Home Depot and Ace, with everyone else driven out of business?

Well, technically Ace and True Value stores are independently owned and operated. There is also Do It Best, many of which do not display any corporate branding.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:18 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, technically Ace and True Value stores are independently owned and operated. There is also Do It Best, many of which do not display any corporate branding.
Yes, Ace and True Value stores are independently owned. Although there is some company-branded merchandise, the stores all have their distinct personalities and most have their own names (e.g. Barry's Ace Hardware). It's a model similar to Best Western's approach to lodging -- have a national brand serving as an umbrella for a network of individually owned businesses.

I prefer Ace and True Value not only because of the local ownership, but also they're just so much more manageable to shop at than big box stores. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I prefer a focused product selection and attentive customer service. In Home Depot, I wander from aisle to aisle, dodging forklifts as I go, and still have trouble finding anyone to help me.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Here...

https://www.mcguckin.com/

A bit of a drive, though

Old 12-19-2020, 12:19 AM

962 posts, read 469,283 times
My sister-in-law lives about a mile from McGuckin. Awesome store, and we spend a couple hours there whenever we're in town, but I will say that they've drifted away from actual hardware over the years, and you need to run to Home Depot for anything other than the basics.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Heldt Lumber is a great business on N 7th St., just north of Camelback.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, Ace may be independently owned, officially, but you know what I mean. Ace still functions as a chain.

I hadn't heard of Do It Best, but that also seems to be the equivalent of a national chain, best on what I'm seeing online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, Ace and True Value stores are independently owned. Although there is some company-branded merchandise, the stores all have their distinct personalities and most have their own names (e.g. Barry's Ace Hardware). It's a model similar to Best Western's approach to lodging -- have a national brand serving as an umbrella for a network of individually owned businesses.

I prefer Ace and True Value not only because of the local ownership, but also they're just so much more manageable to shop at than big box stores. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I prefer a focused product selection and attentive customer service. In Home Depot, I wander from aisle to aisle, dodging forklifts as I go, and still have trouble finding anyone to help me.
I also find that at Paul's Ace, the prices and selection are just about comparable to HD.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Heldt Lumber is a great business on N 7th St., just north of Camelback.
Thanks. Never heard of it. I'll check it out..

Old 12-20-2020, 04:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Note that Ace, True Value, and Do It Best are retailers' cooperatives, which differ from a franchise in that they have a member-elected board of directors, which means their members have more of a say in corporate manners.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
I have an ACE down the street so I go there if I can and Lowe’s/HD only if I have to. ACE seems to be as close as it gets in most of the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: