Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 02:57 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times

Advertisements

I've recently been diagnosed with coronary artery disease. While I'm on statins, baby aspirin, a very healthy diet, etc. I'm concerned about what hospital I might be taken to if I have an emergency.

This concern is due to the fact that the closest ER to me (3 miles) is a place I never want to go to again.

Is it even safe these days to be transported by ambulance, with so many people being taken to the ERs?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 05:25 PM

843 posts, read 562,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've recently been diagnosed with coronary artery disease. While I'm on statins, baby aspirin, a very healthy diet, etc. I'm concerned about what hospital I might be taken to if I have an emergency.

This concern is due to the fact that the closest ER to me (3 miles) is a place I never want to go to again.

Is it even safe these days to be transported by ambulance, with so many people being taken to the ERs?

Thanks for any help.
Not a EMS person but it probably depends on how bad you are doing. My wife thought she had Covid in March, she couldn't breathe very well, but the Gilbert EMS agreed to her request to take her to the Mayo Clinic ER which is not close by, like 20-some miles. It was like a $650 ambulance ride, they needed extra oxygen cylinders to be brought to them by another unit prior to leaving, but they will take you where you want as long as they think you can make it. It probably varies depending on the EMS people and their experience, but if you are having a heart attack or stroke, it's unlikely they will negotiate with you very much.

PS: She did not have Covid but it was almost identical symptoms. They said they used 10 liters of oxygen for the trip there.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM

^Thank you for your response. I hope your wife recovered quickly.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:00 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,915,605 times
when my wife broke her hip and collar bone recently, the paramedics let us take her to a special new facility near our house, instead of the emergency room to be looked at first; they too were concerned about going to the hospital ER, and agreed we should avoid it if possible..Eventually, after being diagnosed, we had no choice but to get an ambulance, and take her to the hospital for surgery, but I was impressed that they let US choose where we wanted to go first.
As long as Covid is a "thing", and you are not in cardiac arrest, I would bet they would take you where you ask to be taken, but, I guess it would depend on how bad your emergency is, and how their work load was at that moment..

hopefully, you will never need to find out..

Old 01-03-2021, 07:39 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,442,758 times
In most cases, if a patient expresses a preference for a specific hospital, it will be honored. It the patient needs a specific type of care for an emergency, then that may override personal preference. For example, a severe burn victim would probably be taken to ValleyWise (fka Maricopa Medical), and someone experiencing a stroke might go to St. Joseph's because those hospitals have specialized facilities designed for those conditions. Keep in mind, however, that several local hospitals have recently declared "diversions," conditions under which they tell fire departments and ambulance companies that they are temporarily not accepting new patients. Under those conditions, your first choice hospital might not have room for you.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:01 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help.

A lot of it depends on the community EMT. In my community, the EMTs will take you to the local hospitals, the hospitals or the VA hospital depending on where you want to go.

HOWEVER, if you are a major TRAUMA case, they will take you to where you need to go to handle your condition.

Personally, I would not go to my local hospital five miles away for a serious medical emergency as their resources (and available ICU beds) are very limited.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
Neither you nor the EMS service will have any say in where you go...(unless you walk in) if hospitals are full of Covid patients, and declare they are "on diversion" and cannot accept new emergency patients.

"Hospitals in Arizona have experienced an influx of patients in the last 48 hours which has caused several of them to go on diversion. Yesterday up to 10 Phoenix-area hospitals were actively diverting patients at the same time; this morning 6 Phoenix-area hospitals are currently on diversion. This means that the hospitals are closed to incoming emergency transports and hospital transfers while they quickly work to address a backlog of patients. Diversion does not apply to walk-in patients who need emergency care. This is a very fluid situation and status. Hospitals may go on and off diversion within hours if they are able to free up enough capacity and resources within that time, while others may remain on diversion for longer. " January 2 article.

Sounds like the best bet is to have someone drive you to the ER, and walk in.

Chalk it up in part to people who don't give a hoot about the welfare of others, and scoff at mask wearing, despite pleas from the medical community to wear them.

An AZ Central article stated that AZ tops the nation, even beating CA in positive Covid test results. 61% of ICU beds were occupied by Covid patients, and as of yesterday morning, only 7% of ICU beds were available.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Sounds like the best bet is to have someone drive you to the ER, and walk in.
Nope. EMS starts treating for a heart attack on arrival at your home. The mistake some people make is to drive themselves to the ER, which delays treatment by 20 to 30 minutes or more and destroys heart muscle that might have been saved if you'd dialed 911 and waited for the ambulance.

Even if you have to be diverted to a different facility, you're still better off with EMS.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:42 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,442,758 times
Quote:
Nope. EMS starts treating for a heart attack on arrival at your home. The mistake some people make is to drive themselves to the ER, which delays treatment by 20 to 30 minutes or more and destroys heart muscle that might have been saved if you'd dialed 911 and waited for the ambulance.

Even if you have to be diverted to a different facility, you're still better off with EMS.
Thanks for saying that. For a life threatening condition like a heart attack or a stroke, a 911 response is always better. Not only can the paramedics begin treatment in the field, but also the hospital can alert the appropriate team that the patient is on route so that they're ready the moment the ambulance arrives. Triage is bypassed, and care begins immediately.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:49 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
you never know where you'll be taken, depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area