Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 11:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Look up the concept of hedonic adaptation. Unless you’re some sort of refugee, moving to Phoenix isn’t going to make you any happier or more satisfied in the long run. In fact, if you actually like Phoenix that much, you’d be better off living somewhere else and vacationing in Phoenix from time to time. If you live here, it’s guaranteed that you will eventually adapt to the surroundings and all the things that you enjoyed will fade into the background and fail to stimulate anymore. That’s how our brains are wired. The grass sometimes is greener, but it’s irrelevant because once you’re over there you’ll want something else anyway. If more people understood this they could find ways to appreciate where they are instead of mindlessly flocking to mediocre cities like Phoenix and Charlotte imagining that it will somehow magically solve all their problems and lead to sustained happiness.
You have become the resident troll of the Phoenix forum. Don't get it how some people waste time like this.

There was a troll on a pre-paid Cricket cellular forum. All he lived to do was bash Cricket (ATT based so pretty darn good), and hype up T-Mobile (at the time really bad). Everyone laughed at him...just crazy.

You've clearly established a proclivity to bash Phoenix and yet clearly have nothing better to do than hang around here, LOL.

Seems like Phoenix / Charlotte has taken a major residence in your head and you just can't get it out of your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 08:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I didnt think it was any worse than Phoenix. Now granted I was in the Simi Valley area and took the 210 and never had the need to go south into the heart of L.A., but it was more or less the same stop-n-go. There was no difference between the 210 and I-10 in Phoenix at the deck park tunnel. Drive 30mph for 5 minutes, stop for about 10 seconds, drive 30mph for 5 minutes, repeat.

What I noticed the most was that Phoenix traffic is more or less directional. So if you live in Tempe and work in Mesa you can take the US60 at 7am and head east with little traffic whereas the westbound side is more or less a parking lot. It wasnt like that where I was in L.A. During rush hour it was pretty much parking lot in both directions.

Well if you're comparing Simi Valley to downtown Phoenix that's a little off. I know there are some freeways in greater LA that are much better than others but on average the congestion is magnitudes worse and even as you eluded to, would cause you to avoid driving certain places at certain times. If you had your life setup perfectly where you lived, worked, played, run all errands etc... in a specific part of LA that's rarely congested then I guess it's all good. But the practical side of needing to get around many parts of the area is an issue imo.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 AM

53 posts, read 49,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerDobson View Post
I met a woman who wants to move to Oregon. She said she loves it up there. She also said that many locals from Phoenix made the best decision to leave. I don't get it. Why do people want to leave Phoenix? It's so amazing here. I know I'd feel so sad and really depressed if I left.

This is why I feel there is no right woman for me. No one wants to stay here. This woman has lived here all her life, so that could be a factor.
Phoenix was the bomb between 2005 - 2010. Everything is on a decline here. A lot of people here are moving Eastward.
I know some that headed to Florida YEARS ago. The entertainment scene appears to be hitting a snag here. People are using the immigrant coming here as an argument for a strong population but the natives here DON'T LIKE IT. I used to really enjoy Phoenix, Arizona but it's not what it used to be. I understand why my friends left.

Oregon is a VERY nice place. Of course they don't have Mexico pouring in it's unwanted into such a distant state to give a large undesirable population. But Portland is such a modern city, then you have Eugene, Corvallis and it's close proximity to Seattle and San Francisco!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:20 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
You have become the resident troll of the Phoenix forum. Don't get it how some people waste time like this.

There was a troll on a pre-paid Cricket cellular forum. All he lived to do was bash Cricket (ATT based so pretty darn good), and hype up T-Mobile (at the time really bad). Everyone laughed at him...just crazy.

You've clearly established a proclivity to bash Phoenix and yet clearly have nothing better to do than hang around here, LOL.

Seems like Phoenix / Charlotte has taken a major residence in your head and you just can't get it out of your mind.
As I’ve mentioned time and again, this board is filled with people in the real estate industry who give unrealistically positive views of life in Phoenix. Essentially, they benefit from exploiting the naïveté of people from out of state who have limited experience with az in order to personally profit. I have no such skin in the game, and I would rather help to balance the narrative here by providing honest feedback on what real life is like in this part of the world. Phoenix, like anywhere else, is a city with lots of problems, headaches, and hassles that only become increasingly noticeable and magnified the longer you live here. And these issues are only compounded by one of the most extreme climates in the entire US. That’s reality, whether you like it or not.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
If more people understood this they could find ways to appreciate where they are instead of mindlessly flocking to mediocre cities like Phoenix and Charlotte imagining that it will somehow magically solve all their problems and lead to sustained happiness.
I understand what you're saying. Where ever you go you will always just bring your thoughts, concerns, doubts, shortcomings and problems with you. Wherever you go you are still you and moving to a new place wont solve all your problems but for some people access to the things that they are really passionate about in life can make life more enjoyable.

So for instance, if you're a surfer then obviously if you want to indulge your passion for the sport and live the beachy lifestyle then your going to want to live SoCal or FL. Make sense?

Old 01-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
As I’ve mentioned time and again, this board is filled with people in the real estate industry who give unrealistically positive views of life in Phoenix. Essentially, they benefit from exploiting the naïveté of people from out of state who have limited experience with az in order to personally profit. I have no such skin in the game, and I would rather help to balance the narrative here by providing honest feedback on what real life is like in this part of the world. Phoenix, like anywhere else, is a city with lots of problems, headaches, and hassles that only become increasingly noticeable and magnified the longer you live here. And these issues are only compounded by one of the most extreme climates in the entire US. That’s reality, whether you like it or not.

I've never worked in anything remotely close to the real estate industry, I will publicly state that on this forum. My input is as simple as this, life is what you make of it and if someone is extremely negative about Phoenix they're going to be negative on life no matter where they live.

I happen to appreciate Phoenix for it's uniqueness and have always found the desert scenery to be pretty amazing. There's nowhere I'd rather live...

Last edited by locolife; 01-26-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 03:06 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I've never worked in anything remotely close to the real estate industry, I will publicly state that on this forum. My input is as simple as this, life is what you make of it and if someone is extremely negative about Phoenix they're going to be negative on life no matter where they live.

I happen to appreciate Phoenix for it's uniqueness and have always found the desert scenery to be pretty amazing. There's nowhere I'd rather live..
Good point. For whatever reason, when I make small talk with someone and ask where they are from, all too often people go off on the place that they use to live. "Too crowded, terribly politics, too much taxes, terrible weather, bla bla bla." The ex-Californians are most energized with their negativity. I'm going to pay attention to how long these people last in PHX.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Good point. For whatever reason, when I make small talk with someone and ask where they are from, all too often people go off on the place that they use to live. "Too crowded, terribly politics, too much taxes, terrible weather, bla bla bla." The ex-Californians are most energized with their negativity. I'm going to pay attention to how long these people last in PHX.
That'll be an interesting test, I'm curious too.

In one of my college classes we had to provide a daily story of recent activities in our life but there we're two rules, you could not complain about traffic or the weather because otherwise that's all people would do. Getting away from those two items, which you have no individual control over, lets you focus on the things in life you can.

Now I feel like a psychologist, which might of been what the class was HAH. But I digress, I realize that a lot of people do not know how to be happy. But Phoenix or any city has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by locolife; 01-26-2021 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
Phoenix was the bomb between 2005 - 2010. Everything is on a decline here. A lot of people here are moving Eastward.
I know some that headed to Florida YEARS ago. The entertainment scene appears to be hitting a snag here. People are using the immigrant coming here as an argument for a strong population but the natives here DON'T LIKE IT. I used to really enjoy Phoenix, Arizona but it's not what it used to be. I understand why my friends left.

Oregon is a VERY nice place. Of course they don't have Mexico pouring in it's unwanted into such a distant state to give a large undesirable population. But Portland is such a modern city, then you have Eugene, Corvallis and it's close proximity to Seattle and San Francisco!

Was it the bomb in 2005-2010? I was here all those years and watched countless boring suburb communities pop up on the fringes of the city as some focus continued on downtown. In that time we had far less activity in downtown Tempe, Phoenix and Scottsdale. We've since had a real expansion of good jobs which is visible in all the new office buildings along town lake, the 101 in chandler and the 101 in Scottsdale.

If you're talking about times since COVID, then of course the entertainment scene is hitting a snag here, there is an active pandemic so things are pretty rough on that front everywhere.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Was it the bomb in 2005-2010? I was here all those years and watched countless boring suburb communities pop up on the fringes of the city as some focus continued on downtown. In that time we had far less activity in downtown Tempe, Phoenix and Scottsdale. We've since had a real expansion of good jobs which is visible in all the new office buildings along town lake, the 101 in chandler and the 101 in Scottsdale.

If you're talking about times since COVID, then of course the entertainment scene is hitting a snag here, there is an active pandemic so things are pretty rough on that front everywhere.
That poster is a troll, he badmouths AZ on the California forum as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area