Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM

53 posts, read 49,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That poster is a troll, he badmouths AZ on the California forum as well
Y'all are always arguing to defend your city from accurate judgement and description. Y'all are arguing with Meown, Maroon197 where HE was called a troll by ANDROID because of his accurate description. Now I'M the troll because of mine?

Everyone says the same thing about y'all from different expertise and you still remains in the bubble of denial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Was it the bomb in 2005-2010? I was here all those years and watched countless boring suburb communities pop up on the fringes of the city as some focus continued on downtown. In that time we had far less activity in downtown Tempe, Phoenix and Scottsdale.
True that there is more entertainment in Tempe now. But that's Tempe and NOT Phoenix. The fun in Tempe centers around 3rd and Mill even then.

Phoenix, Arizona was better back in the day. The only improvement is Phoenix's Lightrail which takes people to 3rd and Mill in Tempe. Without Phoenix's Lightrail which connect the metropolitan, the city of Tempe wouldn't see the visitors that they do see on 3rd and Mill.

Back in the day, Phoenix didn't have a lot of clubs downtown and lounges which they have now but at the same time there was more activity throughout the entire city. Now there's only two areas, behind Metro center Mall and some downtown spots.

But between 2005 -2010 we had ALL OF OUR MALLS Desert Sky, Christown, Metrocenter and Paradise Valley Mall and more which are ALL OVER PHOENIX. Metrocenter closed, Christown is always empty and Paradise Valley Mall has plans to close and transform. Back in 2005 -2010 it was fun all over Phoenix, Arizona. Van Buren was always busy, the racetrack for Greyhounds was doing well but later closed.

Phoenix was bustling and doing very good. So much that there was regular reports on population growth as Phoenix rivaled Philadelphia in growth. It was this bustling that greatly assisted Phoenix! Now Phoenix is a giant zombie city. The Lightrail helps connect the city and is to go to Baseline but people were happier and busier a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
Y'all are always arguing to defend your city from accurate judgement and description. Y'all are arguing with Meown, Maroon197 where HE was called a troll by ANDROID because of his accurate description. Now I'M the troll because of mine?

Everyone says the same thing about y'all from different expertise and you still remains in the bubble of denial?

True that there is more entertainment in Tempe now. But that's Tempe and NOT Phoenix. The fun in Tempe centers around 3rd and Mill even then.

Phoenix, Arizona was better back in the day. The only improvement is Phoenix's Lightrail which takes people to 3rd and Mill in Tempe. Without Phoenix's Lightrail which connect the metropolitan, the city of Tempe wouldn't see the visitors that they do see on 3rd and Mill.

Back in the day, Phoenix didn't have a lot of clubs downtown and lounges which they have now but at the same time there was more activity throughout the entire city. Now there's only two areas, behind Metro center Mall and some downtown spots.

But between 2005 -2010 we had ALL OF OUR MALLS Desert Sky, Christown, Metrocenter and Paradise Valley Mall and more which are ALL OVER PHOENIX. Metrocenter closed, Christown is always empty and Paradise Valley Mall has plans to close and transform. Back in 2005 -2010 it was fun all over Phoenix, Arizona. Van Buren was always busy, the racetrack for Greyhounds was doing well but later closed.

Phoenix was bustling and doing very good. So much that there was regular reports on population growth as Phoenix rivaled Philadelphia in growth. It was this bustling that greatly assisted Phoenix! Now Phoenix is a giant zombie city. The Lightrail helps connect the city and is to go to Baseline but people were happier and busier a decade ago.
I don't get this analogy, and am not understanding the point "y'all" are trying to make. Phoenix needs to grow, but not just for the sake of increasing population, and/or giving us bragging rights that we're now bigger than Philadelphia. That's a poor way to plan a city, which we've been guilty of for a long time. At this stage, we need to grow smarter and find ways to attract REAL talent ... not just a bunch of retirees, sun lovers, or those who have little ambition.

I doubt if anybody gives much thought to the old Greyhound racetrack, or the various malls that have closed. I'm also disappointed over many long time malls closing, but that's a trend which is happening all over America due to the changing of shopping habits. Phoenix needs to grow up and act its size instead of focusing on things that worked well in the past.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

I doubt if anybody gives much thought to the old Greyhound racetrack, or the various malls that have closed. I'm also disappointed over many long time malls closing, but that's a trend which is happening all over America due to the changing of shopping habits. Phoenix needs to grow up and act its size instead of focusing on things that worked well in the past.
A carefree attitude. Sadly why your city is doing badly. I just went to Albuquerque last week. Ain't no malls closing there, El Paso neither. Not Sunland Park, Bassett Center OR Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso.

I did shopping just last week at the Coronado Center in Albuquerque and their malls aren't nearly hurt, despite being older. Currently, everyone just goes to Tempe for fun in Phoenix, which isn't FAIR. Because that scene is for the COLLEGE students to enjoy.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Quote:
A carefree attitude. Sadly why your city is doing badly. I just went to Albuquerque last week. Ain't no malls closing there, El Paso neither. Not Sunland Park, Bassett Center OR Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso.

I did shopping just last week at the Coronado Center in Albuquerque and their malls aren't nearly hurt, despite being older. Currently, everyone just goes to Tempe for fun in Phoenix, which isn't FAIR. Because that scene is for the COLLEGE students to enjoy.
Malls are a silly way to judge a city, however, The Scottsdale Quarter, Fashion Square, and Kierland are top notch. Nothing in ABQ remotely compares and comparing it to Phoenix is just funny. Great enchiladas, but one of the most depressed cities I’ve visited.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Malls are a silly way to judge a city, however, The Scottsdale Quarter, Fashion Square, and Kierland are top notch. Nothing in ABQ remotely compares and comparing it to Phoenix is just funny. Great enchiladas, but one of the most depressed cities I’ve visited.
Albuquerque need to expand pass being a "retirement" town. Those malls you named are all in SCOTTSDALE! Kinda like the Mexican dude trying to defend Phoenix by using Tempe as an example.

Phoenix is 1.7 Million to Albuquerque's 560,000 people but y'all combine Scottsdale/Tempe to compare Phoenix to Albuquerque.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Quote:
Albuquerque need to expand pass being a "retirement" town. Those malls you named are all in SCOTTSDALE! Kinda like the Mexican dude trying to defend Phoenix by using Tempe as an example.

Phoenix is 1.7 Million to Albuquerque's 560,000 people but y'all combine Scottsdale/Tempe to compare Phoenix to Albuquerque.
No, they're not. Kierland is in Phoenix. And who cares? It's all one homogenous metropolitan area anyway.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, they're not. Kierland is in Phoenix. And who cares? It's all one homogenous metropolitan area anyway.

Biltmore and Desert Ridge as well.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,658,263 times
Quote:

That's because Albuquerque only has two suburbs, Rio Rico and Bernalillo. Suburbs count towards a metro areas population

Old 01-28-2021, 08:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,979,864 times
Quote:

I love ABQ but come on. ABQ compared to Tucson, but it’s not anywhere near Phoenix.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:42 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,096,135 times
Phoenix has plenty of shopping areas that are doing quite well within the city limits (if that's really how you want to judge). Midtown/Uptown areas are bustling, Biltmore is doing just fine, as are Desert Ridge and Kierland (yes it's in Phoenix and NOT within Scottsdale). Arcadia and areas around it have seen a huge resurgence in the past 10 years, and same with Midtown and downtown and 7th Street (Restaurant Row was not yet a thing 10-15 years ago), especially the northern part around Roosevelt Row. There is no question that Phoenix is a better place now than it was 10 years ago to anyone but the most biased observer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area