Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM

129 posts, read 111,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
How to explain the much more than normal number of Arizona plates in California???
Helping their friends and/or families move out of California .. or visiting.

California = one of the top outbound states.
Arizona = one the top inbound states.

Second only to Texas .. Arizona is the next top inbound state for Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 04:59 PM

567 posts, read 431,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydude24 View Post
This winter season I have been seeing a lot more California license plates than I have ever seen. Maybe it's anecdotal, but driving home today from Flagstaff I saw a ton of them. Is that the same in other parts of the Valley recently?
Several of my California family members have moved to Arizona in past two years. All but one have kept their Calif license plates and drivers license. A few still come back to Calif. for doctors appointments at Kaiser Permanente, the largest and highest rated private health care provider in Southern Calif.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:56 PM

364 posts, read 618,077 times
and yet house prices in California continue to climb to laughable levels. All that migration out of California is doing is causing prices in Phoenix to skyrocket. Nothing else.

Just read that poverty is at its highest rate in 50 years...and yet the stock markets keeps climbing and housing keeps shooting up to unaffordable levels. I really worry about Millenials and Gen Z'ers. They don't have a chance and will most likely be the first generation of Americans that go backwards in regards to living standards. Or as they would surely say...Thanks a hell of a lot boomers.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:26 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Winter there always a spike in out of state plates when it heats up they all leave since we border California not surprised. I moved here from CA in 1994 because houses were too expensive. Compared to today homes are crazy now 500k run down mobile home in a bad area. I'm not sure how anyone can afford a home there now I googled highest crime rate zip code somewhere in LA bars on the windows looked awful put that zip code into Zillow 500k for 1000 Sq feet for a run down 1940's home.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:18 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
I mean California is pretty close right next door. 30 years ago I was seeing lots of California plates, especially in winter. I'd say beyond the various trends outlined it's pretty normal to see neighboring State plates especially between large population centers.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I was helping out my parents from Wednesday until Saturday. My truck has California plates. maybe I was part of the problem. LOL

Don't worry, I haven't moved to Arizona, although my wife is about ready to pull the trigger on a move. I doubt that we will change states anytime before we retire. But who knows.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:50 PM

268 posts, read 216,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was helping out my parents from Wednesday until Saturday. My truck has California plates. maybe I was part of the problem. LOL

Don't worry, I haven't moved to Arizona, although my wife is about ready to pull the trigger on a move. I doubt that we will change states anytime before we retire. But who knows.
No problem it's just the reality of this country. Desirable cities in the sunbelt are all experiencing rising prices from transplants.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
and yet house prices in California continue to climb to laughable levels. All that migration out of California is doing is causing prices in Phoenix to skyrocket. Nothing else.

Just read that poverty is at its highest rate in 50 years...and yet the stock markets keeps climbing and housing keeps shooting up to unaffordable levels. I really worry about Millenials and Gen Z'ers. They don't have a chance and will most likely be the first generation of Americans that go backwards in regards to living standards. Or as they would surely say...Thanks a hell of a lot boomers.

Yes, they do but they won't be able to live in the area of their choice. Not everyone gets a trophy.

One niece (24 yrs old) lives in San Francisco. SF is hip, far to the left and groovy but she'll never be able to afford to buy a home. My other niece (26 yrs old) lives in Chicago. Plenty to do and her social calendar is full. She lives with two roommates. Third niece (27 yrs. old) lives in San Antonio. She and her husband to be are looking to buy a a home. Their combined income is roughly 110 grand a year. They can afford to buy a nice home in a nice neighborhood.

I just rented a very small house in Chandler for 1800 a month. Couple have a small daughter. Both professionals and both work from home. They plan to buy within a year or two.

Last edited by john3232; 01-27-2021 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
In CA I have seen maybe twice or three times the number of NY, AZ, OR and WA plates this year.
We noticed that too! What is up with the party crowd NY'ers invading west LA? It started when the shutdown happened in March and got really bad through the summer. Now we are seeing a decline, but maybe it's just because they decided to stay and got California plates? We noticed a heavy influx especially in higher end vehicles.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Yep, I've been saying that since last year. The influx is real and it's happening. I also see lots of Texas plates.
+1

I can certainly understand seeing CA plates but Texas? CA to AZ has a much lower COL but what is the incentive for people to move from TX to Az besides preference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area