U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,264 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently bought a new home and came across Radient Barrier Sheathing Roof for additional 1500$ for the entire roof.

I looked through the articles in internet about it but was getting contradicting opinions and I am confused.

Could you please advise if its worth the investment and if we can recoup the value by reducing the energy costs over the coming years.

Also could you please share if it adds any resell value.

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions.

P.S: its a 3000 sqft two storey home and attic insulation would be R-38.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 03:59 PM

629 posts, read 212,203 times
So it might keep the attic fan from coming on quite as much to lower the heat in the attic space. Maybe a $300 price difference in the "radiant sheathing" vs regular. Quite a markup. Where you at? Might be worth it to the next guy who thinks it is a big deal? Hard to say.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:22 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,554,398 times
I had this installed on an existing home and I can tell you from my experience it's definitely worth it! I was able to compare easily as I had it installed in spring and could tell the big difference it made compared to last summer. I noticed that my AC kicked in much later in the day after running all night.

The other part is that you don't get the warming from the sun in the winter to warm your house like before. But I'll take the trade off as gas is cheaper than electricity.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:51 PM

6,259 posts, read 9,523,920 times
I'm surprised that not all Phoenix area builders include it standard by now. It seems like builders who don't include it standard would be at a competitive disadvantage against those who do.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:44 AM

6,259 posts, read 9,523,920 times
Also, for winter heating, many homes are all-electric and use electric heat pumps for heating. Some even with gas service use heat pumps, since some builders choose to maintain a common set of HVAC equipment for all their Phoenix area communities regardless of gas service availability to reduce inventory costs. It is actually only a fairly recent trend since the early 2010s that gas furnaces have been making somewhat of a comeback in new homes here in the Phoenix area.

We have gas heat and a radiant barrier, but as far as I know our gas bills have never been very high. We usually only use our heat in my bedroom and the living room, leaving the master bedroom turned off.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:01 AM

239 posts, read 917,927 times
It was an option when I bought my house in 2007. I paid for it but no idea if it made a difference as I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:09 PM

6,282 posts, read 12,816,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblaki View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a new home and came across Radient Barrier Sheathing Roof for additional 1500$ for the entire roof.

I looked through the articles in internet about it but was getting contradicting opinions and I am confused.

Could you please advise if its worth the investment and if we can recoup the value by reducing the energy costs over the coming years.

Also could you please share if it adds any resell value.

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions.

P.S: its a 3000 sqft two storey home and attic insulation would be R-38.
There were a couple of studies done approximately 20 years ago - on radiant barrier in Texas on houses with no attic insulation at all that showed big savings with radiant barrier that had an “air gap” above and below it. The big savings wasn’t as big as adding normal insulation, and the efficiency gains were lost by the subject homeowners turning the a/c lower - nullifying any savings at all.

On homes with proper attic insulation, I’m not aware of any studies showing a measurable savings. I sincerely doubt you would realize $1500 in savings in any time frame that makes sense.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:50 AM

218 posts, read 109,122 times
I hope I'm not threadjacking...but our house still has the original roof barrier (I think) with concrete tiles. We bought it 3 yrs ago and the inspector and handyman both said it still looked good. But it's going on 23 yrs old if it's original, so I'm wondering (A) how long they should last and (2) how to determine whether it's time to replace? Other than waiting for it to leak...

I know if I call a roofer he'll tell me I'm probably overdue. Who are some reputable roofers (east valley)? Also, I have no idea what the cost is to replace it (2300 sq ft ranch). Some neighbors have replaced theirs, the people next door had it done last summer, but I don't know them very well, never see them outdoors, so it's hard to ask.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:53 PM

466 posts, read 229,556 times
I would focus on the ceiling decking... properly sealed with as few holes as possible for lighting and fan (I replaced my old can lights with led that completely seal the hole), ample insulation, and good venting, including an automatic fan. If you can get the attic temp to be close to the outside temp, you are doing well, and your roof decking/shingles will last longer. I was looking at a GAF product the other day called FELTBUSTER, which replaces the #15, 30 felt underlayment that are widely used. Why on Earth would you want something that absorbs water under your shingles? Imagine what happens when you get freezing temps after heavy rains. Water volume increases 9%, when it freezes.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,264 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sorry for not thanking earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area