Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 04:44 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This has been beaten to death, but a home is worth what someone is willing to pay. Who are you to make the determination that a specific home is only worth $150,000, when it's listed for $250,000?

Well it hasn't been beaten to death by me, because I wasn't on here discussing it until yesterday. As far as making a determination what a house is worth. When we buy a house I think we all are determining, what we should or not be paying for it. Just because these so called hot markets sell homes at a certain price, or people are willing to pay these high prices. Doesn't mean those houses are worth the selling price, and people should just plop down whatever they ask and pay it. I think eventually the pool of buyers dwindles down over the high cost of homes. It's fine with me if people want to pay those prices that's their business. However I do think the homes in the locations mentioned are over priced, and its another example of what a retiree means to the business world. Money and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 05:51 PM

416 posts, read 535,986 times
Supply and demand dictates what houses are worth. If you can`t afford it then it`s time to look in another area. Retirees are considered a drag on the economy. They say we are getting "entitlements" even though we paid into it for 40 years. SS needs to be fixed. Instead we play diversion games.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:01 AM

148 posts, read 279,883 times
@jimrob - I agree with your sentiment.

There reaches a point at which more and more people cannot afford the down payments for these homes...or perhaps the jobs they have or are moving to no longer support the exorbitant home prices. There are only so many cash buyers (minus those pesky corporate entities who want as many Americans as possible to be perpetual renters). At this point, the low interest rates are basically cancelled out by the high costs of homes. And even if you made a killing on the home you are selling in order to move, the home prices at your destination are just as insane, with one added caveat...the supply in all locations are slim to none...creating a backlog in which more and more people will just stay put. Then there are even fewer homes for sales, higher and higher prices..and the cycle continues.

Prices must stabilize eventually! It may not result in a crash like 2007, but this rise cannot continue indefinitely.

IMO, the only people who are truly benefiting from this insane housing market (besides maybe realtors) are people who are selling their rental properties, vacations homes, etc...and already own the home in which they are currently living in. I am one of those who will be selling a rental property (townhouse) on the Treasure Coast of Florida with an approximate 120K profit in 7 years since I bought it. Do I truly think that this rise is worth it based on factors like average salaries in the area? NO...but I am not going to argue.

Last edited by carrob; 07-07-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-07-2021, 08:18 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post
@jimrob - I agree with your sentiment.

There reaches a point at which more and more people cannot afford the down payments for these homes...or perhaps the jobs they have or are moving to no longer support the exorbitant home prices. There are only so many cash buyers (minus those pesky corporate entities who want as many Americans as possible to be perpetual renters). At this point, the low interest rates are basically cancelled out by the high costs of homes. And even if you made a killing on the home you are selling in order to move, the home prices at your destination are just as insane, with one added caveat...the supply in all locations are slim to none...creating a backlog in which more and more people will just stay put. Then there are even fewer homes for sales, higher and higher prices..and the cycle continues.

IMO, the only people who are truly benefiting from this insane housing market (besides maybe realtors) are people who are selling their rental properties, vacations homes, etc...and already own the home in which they are currently living in.
I agree except everyone involved in the selling and processing of real estate sales are also profiting. We have sold 2 of our 4 houses in the last few months and have profited significantly. Some landlords, like us, are also selling because of an expectation of higher capital gains taxes coming.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post

IMO, the only people who are truly benefiting from this insane housing market (besides maybe realtors) are people who are selling their rental properties, vacations homes, etc...and already own the home in which they are currently living in. I am one of those who will be selling a rental property (townhouse) on the Treasure Coast of Florida with an approximate 120K profit in 7 years since I bought it. Do I truly think that rise is worth it based on factors like average salaries in the area? NO...but I am not going to argue.
Many realtors are actually struggling to pay the bills right now. With such low inventory, some are winning but most are losing - especially buyers agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area