Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Let's face it: those who move here for sunny weather, recreation, etc. are often the slower moving types with a lack of motivation. I'm certainly not the only one who has noticed this. Another poster in this thread also mentioned in his experience that Texans are more driven to succeed compared to the ones from CA or AZ who were more interested in knocking off early for recreational purposes. That makes a noticeable difference in the kinds of talent a place attracts. In the end, what matters is results and profits. That's what companies are primarily looking for ... not how beautiful the weather is, or how many mountains there are to view.

Nope, couldn't disagree more. People who value physical recreation activities often do it to stay healthy, de-stress and compete with one another through apps on their phones. People who are motivated enough to hike year-round are extremely motivated, think about what that entails for a minute. Do you really think someone who has the mental and physical aptitude to get up at 4am to get get their hike in before work are not motivated? Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 11:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
LOL I do zero coding. Coding is easily outsourced to India / eastern Europe for cheaper. I would advise on coding as a hobby, but not as a serious career. It is a great way to learn tech for sure.

There are far better career paths to do than that. Finance, sales, media, medical, and many more careers / industries can really scale here in Arizona and further increase the diversity and importance of this economy.
Learn to code is a meme, rather than actually telling people to code.

It's the out of touch upper middle class and wealthy's way of telling the plebes to become part of the "knowledge economy"

Old 02-17-2021, 11:57 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
True, but a few 115 degree days isn't causing millions of Arizonans to lose power with no status on when we can get power back on at home or work for days or weeks on end, because of the crappy infrastructure design.

Now on top of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, we'll have to add severe freezing and long term of loss of power to the list of risks for Texas.
Re: the power. Unfortunately, the entire countries infrastructure is crappy. Including parts of the midwest, https://www.kcur.org/news/2021-02-15...ss-the-midwest Add in South Dakota with rolling blackouts too. We need to modernize/upgrade our grid infrastructure all across this country.

If 60+ days of 115 becomes the norm, it WILL have a negative impact on the population in AZ. Still. We are all in this together. That massive storm is causing all kinds of logistical issues for everyone.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:11 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Interacting with people is important, but I'd much rather interact with my friends/family and get social feedback that way, than be forced to sit in soul-less cubicles trying to win friends over because we happened to work in the same physical location. Reminds me of high school, where popularity in a fish bowl mattered more than other meaningful things such as academic accomplishment and individual happiness.
It's not so much about winning friends or being popular, but networking, which is still highly important for those who wish to improve their career paths and climb the corporate ladder. Networking is essential if you're a business owner. When I was in management, I would always encourage my employees to network, especially those who wanted to move up in the company. The fact is that being a dependable employee who shows up on time every day & meets standards is not enough to get ahead. Being a "people person" always has worked in favor of anybody in the workforce, more so than hiding behind a screen all day.

Quote:
I think WFH is exposing people to what's really important in life. There will be some individuals who will crave to be in a work-social environment where they get all or most of their social validation from the cube farm, but I'd bet that is going to get far less important over time.
Again, it depends on the individual. What's important in life also varies from person to person. If you're a type who would rather interact with somebody virtually instead of in person, the times are in your favor since it's becoming more common. I see some short term benefits to that method (once the technical glitches are ironed out). In the long run, however, this introverted method has too many downsides that are actually more counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Nope, couldn't disagree more. People who value physical recreation activities often do it to stay healthy, de-stress and compete with one another through apps on their phones. People who are motivated enough to hike year-round are extremely motivated, think about what that entails for a minute. Do you really think someone who has the mental and physical aptitude to get up at 4am to get get their hike in before work are not motivated? Give me a break.
I meant motivated on a business level. Not doubting what you said about physical activity ... other than competing through apps (anybody can sit around and play around on a stupid phone). But what I said is correct about many of those who are here mainly because of a change in weather/climate: they're usually not very motivated to becoming more educated, seeking a better career path, or earning higher wages. They tend to exhibit "qualities" like driving slow, and would rather be in a swimming pool, playing golf, or on a hiking trail. All this is fine if that's what they want out of life, but they should be living in a smaller town or rural area ... not in the nation's 5th largest city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If 60+ days of 115 becomes the norm, it WILL have a negative impact on the population in AZ. Still. We are all in this together. That massive storm is causing all kinds of logistical issues for everyone.
Also, the ongoing drought is something we need to take seriously. I've heard too many comments about how we don't have to shovel heat, and the constant clear skies & sunshine are wonderful, blah, blah, blah, but this can be too much of a good thing. We're in an extreme drought, but apparently this isn't important enough for some people to get a serious wake up call.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:14 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
There are a lot of really bad takes in this thread. Do people really believe that you can have infinite growth, which places an increasingly enormous strain on available resources and infrastructure, and rock bottom taxes indefinitely? Do you really think that unchecked growth won’t adversely affect quality of life? Crippling Traffic, skyrocketing cost of living, overcrowding, declining public schools, increased crime, lagging road maintenance, inability to utilize maxed out amenities? Unchecked growth steadily destroys quality of life in nearly every category people here claim to care about. If you don’t like what LA/California has become, I have some extremely bad news for you about Phoenix’s rapidly approaching future.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 PM

157 posts, read 137,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
There are a lot of really bad takes in this thread. Do people really believe that you can have infinite growth, which places an increasingly enormous strain on available resources and infrastructure, and rock bottom taxes indefinitely? Do you really think that unchecked growth won’t adversely affect quality of life? Crippling Traffic, skyrocketing cost of living, overcrowding, declining public schools, increased crime, lagging road maintenance, inability to utilize maxed out amenities? Unchecked growth steadily destroys quality of life in nearly every category people here claim to care about. If you don’t like what LA/California has become, I have some extremely bad news for you about Phoenix’s rapidly approaching future.
I have never heard of unchecked growth...where in the US does this happen cause I’d like to move there. I work in the building industry. Trust me, every check mark is checked and is reviewed by teams of civil engineers, add nauseam.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 748,401 times
Quote:
People haven't experienced what has happened before in countries like, say, China. Where there was a mass migration from countrysides to cities. The results were painful in most places. For example, nearly all single-family homes around cities were replaced by skyrise living.

It's an extreme example, but you're right, it can definitely ruin a place.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
You never have anything positive to say about Phoenix. Why don't you move?

Old 02-18-2021, 08:32 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,207 times
Hot housing markets everywhere that people want to live in. So I'm sick of humidity, tornados and Hurricanes here in NC. My grandkids are in ABQ, daughter in Ventura CA. Loved the valley in the early 1980s spent time in Tempe, Scottsdale, Carefree. Tell me where would you live in the Valley?? I can move anytime. 450,475? Don't want to spend more than that. Ideas?? We are retired I coach High School Track teams and Sub Teach. We can be anywhere.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:59 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Hot housing markets everywhere that people want to live in. So I'm sick of humidity, tornados and Hurricanes here in NC. My grandkids are in ABQ, daughter in Ventura CA. Loved the valley in the early 1980s spent time in Tempe, Scottsdale, Carefree. Tell me where would you live in the Valley?? I can move anytime. 450,475? Don't want to spend more than that. Ideas?? We are retired I coach High School Track teams and Sub Teach. We can be anywhere.
I think Sun City / Sun City west are still super affordable. Some charming houses in charming communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area