Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:26 PM

215 posts, read 350,565 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are avid hikers, and we will be moving from Chicago to Phoenix next year. We'd like to be able to do things out of the house in the summer, and I figured with so many mountains and parks nearby, we could hike in the mountains. Is this a possibility, or are the hiking trails at the elevation we'd need to avoid murderous heat too far away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 02:33 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
There is ample hiking year round in Phoenix. During the summer most activity is before sunrise and after sunset. People die and/or air evacuated every year because they think they can hike at noon in mid-July with a 16 oz bottle of water. Do not be one of those people.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:43 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
One trick I learned living in Phoenix is you can drive to cooler spots to hike or trail run in the summer. I always lived in north Phoenix and could drive 30 minutes north to Black Canyon City at daybreak in the summer. It would be 80 degrees first thing in the morning in Phoenix and 70 degrees in Black Canyon City. Stay cool enough if you hustled to get in a two hour hike or run even in July or August.

Then I just made sure to get to Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona or Payson once a month to get in all day summer hikes.

Pick your house carefully, I always made sure I was never more than a ten minute drive from dirt. That way I could get in short hikes during the week and drive out of town on the weekends.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:52 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Agreed with the advice above.

Another tip: Don't be fooled by the dry heat cliche. On cloudless days, the direct sunlight can greatly increase the heat stress on your body. When choosing an early morning summer hike with elevation gain, consider whether you'll be ascending in shade or sun. Obviously, going uphill with the sun shining on you is more work than if you're sheltered by the shadow of the summit. If doing a loop, figure out whether you'll get more shade, particularly when ascending, by going in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:14 PM

Plus it's not appealing, but waking up at 4 AM and being on a trail by 4:30-ish in the summer gives you almost two hours of decent hiking weather around Phoenix. Then one more hour of slightly uncomfortable hiking weather. I could handle hikes or runs anywhere in town as long as I was done by 8 AM.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:40 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"too far away?" What would be "too far away" ? Do you wish to return home each night ? Long weekend mid summer hiking opens up the entire White Mountains...altitudes from 6K to over 10K.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-21-2021, 05:45 PM

But the one dirty little secret about Phoenix area hiking. The weather will be absolutely perfect in the middle of the winter, but the air pollution readings are off the chart. If prone to asthma or allergies sign up for the AirNow app to keep tabs on air quality. Quickly learned to look up the individual air quality monitoring stations online. My neighborhood would be under an orange air quality alert but if I drove 30 minutes the air quality would be in the green zone. Phoenix is in a valley and that valley traps in dust, smog, smoke and allergens.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:51 PM

66 posts, read 57,810 times
We are 1 year here from Chicagoland. Last year, once it hit about 104 degrees, we decided it did not feel great doing a hike except for mostly a flat hike for 20 minutes. Different bodies, different results, but there is a datapoint.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Plus it's not appealing, but waking up at 4 AM and being on a trail by 4:30-ish in the summer gives you almost two hours of decent hiking weather around Phoenix. Then one more hour of slightly uncomfortable hiking weather. I could handle hikes or runs anywhere in town as long as I was done by 8 AM.

Going at first light is smart, I don't get up at that time though, our earliest sunrise is 5:17am in mid-June, I try to hit the trail by around 5:30 if I'm going that time of year and be done by 7:00-7:30, sometimes 8. But by mid August that time is pushed back to almost 6am so that gets pushed back a bit more.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
We are 1 year here from Chicagoland. Last year, once it hit about 104 degrees, we decided it did not feel great doing a hike except for mostly a flat hike for 20 minutes. Different bodies, different results, but there is a datapoint.

Do you mean you hiked up until the temperature for the day hit 104 or do you mean the first time the daily high was 104 you stopped hiking for more than 20 minutes until the daily max was back below 104 consistently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area