U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2021, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,990 posts, read 10,343,854 times
Reputation: 8629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My point is it is NOT tough to be in the top 9%. To a large degree, you need to work smarter. If you are in the trades (subcontractor) and call people back, you are in the top 9% because you work smarter. I paid a handyman $95 an hour AND he is booked solid! In another example, a guy just put my wireless alarm system. We talked and he has 500 accounts at a $15 profit per month. Plus installation fees (he charges $80 an hour) or $240 for three hours. Plus equipment mark-up. Sure, he had the option to go work for someone for $30 an hour because it is "stable". He chose the latter. Now he has write-offs, cannot fire himself, and hires others for $30 an hour, etc. The choice is to be an average alarm installer or one who takes the bull by the horns and thinks outside the box.

The key here is not to be "average". I literally drove my kids around "average" neighborhoods. I let them know the result of when they settle for "average". The Op voluntarily went into an average-paying career, after laying the groundwork (college, staying debt free etc). Realize that people are where they are for a reason. Often (not always), is because they settle. Heck, our daughter wanted to be a hygenist. The good ones make close to $100K. I asked why not a dentist? Her answer was that she didn't think of it. I had her shadow 3-4 dentists in high school and the rest is history.

I come from the school of thought that it is incredibly easy to outperform most people. Most settle. Most lack drive. Most made bad decisions. Hitting the top 9% really isn't an accomplishment when you think about it deeper. It's actually pretty easy for 80% of the people if they tried (but they don't).

We should get back on topic now
No, no it isn't! There is a reason that almost everyone earns less than $100,000/year. And it's because most employers can't afford to pay people that much, and there aren't enough jobs to go around at that wage for everyone. You keep focusing on the micro level, while we're talking about the macro level!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 AM
 
6,994 posts, read 8,451,011 times
Reputation: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, no it isn't! There is a reason that almost everyone earns less than $100,000/year. And it's because most employers can't afford to pay people that much, and there aren't enough jobs to go around at that wage for everyone. You keep focusing on the micro level, while we're talking about the macro level!
Yep ^^. Because people lack disciple, education (street smarts), and drive. My words focused on the Ops question "what are my options"? I get the impression that you have a defeatist attitude. If the Op was raised in our house, I predict a much different economic outcome. And if my kids were raised with your 9% POV, where would my kid's path be headed towards???

That all said, I'm a natural at statistics. I understand your point. I'm saying, it's "easy" when you understand the formula. Stip me of my net worth and have me switch industries at age 56. I can do it again. Because I am smart enough, have plenty of desire to succeed, and know the formula. Those who don't, struggle. And to be clear, a person's drive isn't something you are automatically born with (so not everyone can have the motivation to work hard). Google dopamine and motivation. We were not all given the same amount.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,990 posts, read 10,343,854 times
Reputation: 8629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yep ^^. Because people lack disciple, education (street smarts), and drive. My words focused on the Ops question "what are my options"? I get the impression that you have a defeatist attitude. If the Op was raised in our house, I predict a much different economic outcome. And if my kids were raised with your 9% POV, where would my kid's path be headed towards???

That all said, I'm a natural at statistics. I understand your point. I'm saying, it's "easy" when you understand the formula. Stip me of my net worth and have me switch industries at age 56. I can do it again. Because I am smart enough, have plenty of desire to succeed, and know the formula. Those who don't, struggle. And to be clear, a person's drive isn't something you are automatically born with (so not everyone can have the motivation to work hard). Google dopamine and motivation. We were not all given the same amount.
Well good for you, you and your family won the genetic lottery, whoop di f****n do :/

The average IQ is around 100, and at least 1 in 4 people have an IQ below 90. You aren't going to make a doctor, dentist, business owner etc out of them.

I'm a realist, and reality pretty much sucks ass for the majority of people these days, so we try to do the best we can with what we have
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 AM
 
5,252 posts, read 3,267,844 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yep ^^. Because people lack disciple, education (street smarts), and drive. My words focused on the Ops question "what are my options"? I get the impression that you have a defeatist attitude. If the Op was raised in our house, I predict a much different economic outcome. And if my kids were raised with your 9% POV, where would my kid's path be headed towards???

That all said, I'm a natural at statistics. I understand your point. I'm saying, it's "easy" when you understand the formula. Stip me of my net worth and have me switch industries at age 56. I can do it again. Because I am smart enough, have plenty of desire to succeed, and know the formula. Those who don't, struggle. And to be clear, a person's drive isn't something you are automatically born with (so not everyone can have the motivation to work hard). Google dopamine and motivation. We were not all given the same amount.
I'm not suggesting this is the OP.... but when I hear people say the above they usually don't want suggestions. Why not? Because they don't like them. They want life to go their way.

But life has never been fair and never will be.

With regards to housing you don't always get to live where you want. Sorry.

Last edited by john3232; 03-24-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
1,002 posts, read 519,480 times
Reputation: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

I don't really know what I want. I just want a better situation. What I do know is I can't afford the rent increases in the long-term, and I can't really seem to compete in the market because I cannot buy cash, and I can't even put 20% down and never will with the rent increases. And in every other city, it seems to be just as bad or worse off. This is my home and it frustrates me. There are people out here buying multiple homes to landlord to people like me and profit off of me. And then there are flippers buying the low properties that would normally sell to people like me, to sell to the ones who want to landlord and profit off them. I can probably buy a place under 240k and there's so little of anything below this value, all I want is a condo or townhouse. The ones that are are in really bad shape, small with a laundromat, or in really bad neighborhoods. There are exceptions, but they go so quickly.

Some people just want a slice of the cake but the cake is gone before they are allowed to even get to it (I'm 26, the last time the market was "good" I was in high school) and I have been doing "all the right things" gone to school, pay off debts, save money get a good credit score... and I still can't make it. It feels rigged and I'm upset. I don't have these 401k stock options others have mentioned, I'm simply looking to enter... and I can't compete with the veterans.
I honestly think you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish by working with the right team (eg mortgage broker and realtor). First off, you never know what you can actually afford until you start the process with a lender. Things like low interest rates and first-time homebuyer programs put you in a much better position than you might think. A good realtor will be on top of anything new coming to market and will make a concerted effort to speak with the listing agent to see what they are truly looking for. Can you compete with a cash offer? Probably not, but it depends and you never know. Every home is different and so is every seller. You will probably strike out a few times and lose some homes you love, but you will never really know until you start the process. You have to start somewhere - complaining just takes you a couple steps in the wrong direction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 AM
 
6,994 posts, read 8,451,011 times
Reputation: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well good for you, you and your family won the genetic lottery, whoop di f****n do :/

The average IQ is around 100, and at least 1 in 4 people have an IQ below 90. You aren't going to make a doctor, dentist, business owner etc out of them.
You didn't google the dopamine topic. It has NOTHING to do with IQ. Dopamine (motivation) is genetic and that was what I was referencing. Economically speaking, horsepower beats brainpower. Smart enough (the Op has a degree) plus horsepower can mean $uccess. But not using your attitude. So we are clear, IF that is your goal, you can make a lot more money than a doctor and dentist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm a realist, and reality pretty much sucks ass for the majority of people these days, so we try to do the best we can with what we have
BS. You can be a business owner with an average (100) IQ. I know a lot of people who fit that profile. As a side note, I was the 1st to go to college out of 6 boys. Some ended up dropping out. On my wife's side, she has 3 HS drop out sisters, in prison brothers, welfare sisters etc. The odds were stacked against us. we poured our hearts into extracting whatever we could from our kids. This did not happen by accident.

Again, it's time to go back to the topic at hand. OP. My advice has changed. Roll over and give up. Because you have no say in how much you make. Only 9% win the prize.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,990 posts, read 10,343,854 times
Reputation: 8629
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm not suggesting this is the OP.... but when I hear people say the above they usually don't want to hear suggestions. Why not? Because they don't like them. They want life to go their way.

But life has never been fair and never will be.

With regards to housing you don't get to always live where you want. Sorry.
Then again, you're the same poster who is gleefully jacking up the rent on your homes by $500/month
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:15 AM
 
1,291 posts, read 1,557,256 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My point is is that only 9% of Americans earn $100,000 per year or more. Which means that 91% earn less than that. Heck, I earn $87,000 per year, and that puts me in the top 15% of wage earners, yet I still rent as does OP.

The higher the wage, the fewer job openings/opportunities there are. It's simple economics

That's good money. I'm guessing you weren't making that much in the great recession when there were a lot of good deals?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 AM
 
1,719 posts, read 1,667,480 times
Reputation: 3660
Your market is being fed by places like Chicago where houses are selling in no time flat for prices at or above asking. People are then forced to decided quickly to buy a house with more money than they thought. This happened to my wife's cousin who sold her house in suburban Chicago in no time with three offers, and then bought into a subdivision in suburban Phoenix, sight unseen, and town unseen, immediately thereafter to start the building process while she moved in with her parents in Ohio after closing in Chicago. This will remain crazy until interest rates go back to normal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,990 posts, read 10,343,854 times
Reputation: 8629
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
That's good money. I'm guessing you weren't making that much in the great recession when there were a lot of good deals?
No, I was only earning $650/week back then

To be fair, I was only 25 on 9/15/2008
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top