U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 10:08 AM

3,369 posts, read 2,332,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Went to Florida in August no where near as bad as here in Phoenix. It cools down at night there here the concrete radiates 100F heat until 3am. If you come in July that is the best time usually by July 15th heat will peak with just enough humidity to drive the heat index highest numbers in the country. Most people who post here that love the heat here are retired from the Midwest they spend their summers here in AC homes, and cars don't do much outside. Homes are rock landscaped nothing to trim or mow in the summer. Winter no snow to deal with or cold yeah it gets cool here for a few weeks in December to January throw on a light coat. July is the best month to decide if you like it here.
Hmm...

- I post here regularly.
- I'm not from the Midwest and I'm nowhere near retirement age.
- I spend my summers here, full time, like most working age people do.
- My summer mornings are usually out on a bike ride or hike, evenings BBQ and swimming.
- In July I'll also watch monsoon storms roll in, if we're lucky enough to have them.
- My yard has plenty to trim and mow all summer long, as does every other house in my entire neighborhood.

I don't know the CD demographics but in the real world, the average age in Phoenix is 33.8 years old, lower than the national average. So Most people that live here are not retired. Also, despite popular opinion, most people here are Not from the Midwest.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 06:58 PM

6,795 posts, read 9,928,771 times
I've learned to do some reading between the lines with the above poster & others like him. When he says: "I spend my summers here, full time, like most working age people do", that could translate to: "I don't have the money or the time to spend any lengthy vacation time in a cooler climate, so I'm stuck in Phoenix all summer". When he says: "My summer mornings are usually out on a bike ride or hike", that could translate to: "I don't want to pay membership dues at a fitness center, so I take advantage of the taxpayer funded paths & trails ... and if I collapse in the heat, no worries, I'll be rescued free of charge!"

Old 04-08-2021, 07:11 PM

12,096 posts, read 8,581,529 times
No amount of humidity will acclimate you to desert heat. They are just so different. But if you come from a humid environment you tend to appreciate the dry heat because the "heat" isn't as uncomfortable. Unfortunately the sun does a good job of making up for it. It is relentless and unlike humid places there isn't much cloud cover nor are there really good shade trees.

Given one or the other I prefer the dry heat but not by a lot. Particularly given how long the summers last in southern Arizona. It's pretty much a five month grind with no real breaks other than humidity increasing monsoon rains for the last half of the summer.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:25 PM

6,637 posts, read 3,463,199 times
Monsoons here in Phoenix have been almost non-existent for 2020. 2019 we did have a few small F-0 Tornados for the most part the rain was very isolated. If you compare to 1980's and 90's Monsoons were much more active at least what I remember.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 PM
AZ8

57 posts, read 27,444 times
Arizona native. 52 years. Grew up in Northern Arizona, then moved to Phoenix. After 30 years, I moved back home to Northern Arizona.

The heat is BRUTAL!!! People are blowing smoke up your azz saying it’s not bad. Last summer was the worst and was the final straw the broke the back for me:

50 days of 110 or above.....let that sink in. Almost 2 months worth of 110+ temps!
143 days of 100+...nearly five months of 100+!

It’s the shear number of days that makes it unbearable. Relentless and never ending, even at night. When September rolls around and the rest of the country starts to enjoy a turn in the temps, Phoenix is still looking at possibly 8 more weeks of 100+!! It mentally breaks you. It breaks you after an already long, hot summer. Running your A/C well into November sucks.

30 years was enough! Good riddance! Back in Flagstaff and couldn’t be happier!

Old 04-09-2021, 12:04 AM

6,637 posts, read 3,463,199 times
I had a more then a few days last year where my AC ran for an hour or two straight then shut off for 15-20 minutes back on again. I was concerned the compressor was going to overheat but it got though it.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:14 AM

23,400 posts, read 12,557,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Arizona native. 52 years. Grew up in Northern Arizona, then moved to Phoenix. After 30 years, I moved back home to Northern Arizona.

The heat is BRUTAL!!! People are blowing smoke up your azz saying it’s not bad. Last summer was the worst and was the final straw the broke the back for me:

50 days of 110 or above.....let that sink in. Almost 2 months worth of 110+ temps!
143 days of 100+...nearly five months of 100+!

It’s the shear number of days that makes it unbearable. Relentless and never ending, even at night. When September rolls around and the rest of the country starts to enjoy a turn in the temps, Phoenix is still looking at possibly 8 more weeks of 100+!! It mentally breaks you. It breaks you after an already long, hot summer. Running your A/C well into November sucks.

Have you ever lived in a humid climate for comparison? Yes the summer is hot in Phoenix but is it worse than Florida, that's the question. For me, Florida is worse but I know people that are fine with humidity but hate the dry heat and intense sun in Phoenix. Wife and I grew up near New Orleans and prefer Phoenix climate but we do avoid going out and doing much in the afternoons.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,326,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post

That's a common theme. I had 46 years of winters. Good Riddance! I have been wintering in AZ since 2011 to mimic the CA coast year-round weather. With COVID, we stayed in AZ this brutal summer. It was bad but "tolerable". I assumed that was typical. I'm 100% sure if I had 46 PHX normal summers, I would have wanted a new set of weather problems long ago!

We are debating selling our MN lake home and getting down to one home. We aren't ready just yet. And then spend months renting in a cooler spot. It makes more sense to buy a 2nd home in Flagstaff versus MN. But the prices have gotten out of control where you are at!

For me (not my wife), FL-like thick humidity is a no-go. I sweat a lot and is probably the "dry heat" that works out so well for my body. So without question, weather is subjective. I think after so many weather years of relentless ______, people want something different.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 AM

34,306 posts, read 44,049,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's a common theme. I had 46 years of winters. Good Riddance! I have been wintering in AZ since 2011 to mimic the CA coast year-round weather. With COVID, we stayed in AZ this brutal summer. It was bad but "tolerable". I assumed that was typical. I'm 100% sure if I had 46 PHX normal summers, I would have wanted a new set of weather problems long ago!

We are debating selling our MN lake home and getting down to one home. We aren't ready just yet. And then spend months renting in a cooler spot. It makes more sense to buy a 2nd home in Flagstaff versus MN. But the prices have gotten out of control where you are at!

For me (not my wife), FL-like thick humidity is a no-go. I sweat a lot and is probably the "dry heat" that works out so well for my body. So without question, weather is subjective. I think after so many weather years of relentless ______, people want something different.
You survived the worst summer in my long experience in Phoenix. Many, many plants and even the cacti were dying from the relentless heat and drought. I hope that it is not typical but given what's happening now, it appears that the heat is resuming right where it left off (in November!) last year.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:06 AM

19,092 posts, read 19,375,307 times
HOT, the heat-island effect in the Phoenix-area is something you have to factor-in. It gets roasting in that area, as-in sometimes 90-degrees by 10am.

The area bakes all day long, then all that built-up heat will sustain temps well into the night......making the heat seem to hang-around a very long time.

Of course, thankfully, modernity gives us ways to get rid of that nastiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area