U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:17 PM

946 posts, read 480,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've learned to do some reading between the lines with the above poster & others like him. When he says: "I spend my summers here, full time, like most working age people do", that could translate to: "I don't have the money or the time to spend any lengthy vacation time in a cooler climate, so I'm stuck in Phoenix all summer". When he says: "My summer mornings are usually out on a bike ride or hike", that could translate to: "I don't want to pay membership dues at a fitness center, so I take advantage of the taxpayer funded paths & trails ... and if I collapse in the heat, no worries, I'll be rescued free of charge!"
Dang bro. Those are some hardcore assumptions you are making.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:11 PM
AZ8

58 posts, read 28,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Have you ever lived in a humid climate for comparison? Yes the summer is hot in Phoenix but is it worse than Florida, that's the question. For me, Florida is worse but I know people that are fine with humidity but hate the dry heat and intense sun in Phoenix. Wife and I grew up near New Orleans and prefer Phoenix climate but we do avoid going out and doing much in the afternoons.
Haven’t lived in humid climates, but I’ve spent many July’s in Florida for family functions in and around the Tarpon Springs area. Hanging out and doing the tourist stuff around Orlando, Miami...etc

Usually 2-3 week vacations. Yeah, it was uncomfortable, but to me tolerable. Yeah, my shirt was wet all the time....lol, but other than that, the heat wasn’t even close to the convection oven that is Phoenix in mid-July. Yes, it wasn’t a permanent stay, so maybe the humidity would get old fast, but at least a thunder shower would roll in almost every afternoon/evening to change things up.

In Phoenix, it’s common to go months without even a sprinkle. Last year, it was 103 days between rain.....from April 12 through July 24 there was not a drop of rain! And that’s the norm, not an anomaly. Every. Summer. Year in. Year out.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:14 PM
AZ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's a common theme. I had 46 years of winters. Good Riddance! I have been wintering in AZ since 2011 to mimic the CA coast year-round weather. With COVID, we stayed in AZ this brutal summer. It was bad but "tolerable". I assumed that was typical. I'm 100% sure if I had 46 PHX normal summers, I would have wanted a new set of weather problems long ago!

We are debating selling our MN lake home and getting down to one home. We aren't ready just yet. And then spend months renting in a cooler spot. It makes more sense to buy a 2nd home in Flagstaff versus MN. But the prices have gotten out of control where you are at!

For me (not my wife), FL-like thick humidity is a no-go. I sweat a lot and is probably the "dry heat" that works out so well for my body. So without question, weather is subjective. I think after so many weather years of relentless ______, people want something different.
Yes, Flagstaff has great summer weather. But like you said, housing is out of control. A basic, 3 bedroom 2 bath home will approach 475-500K. That’s if you are on top of of the bidding war that occurs due to low inventory. If you don’t have cash, it’s almost impossible to close a deal without being out bid by an all cash buyer. It’s a tough market here now.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 PM
AZ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I had a more then a few days last year where my AC ran for an hour or two straight then shut off for 15-20 minutes back on again. I was concerned the compressor was going to overheat but it got though it.
Yup, that was common in 2020. My A/C ran all day, all month. Like you said, only with 10-15 minute breaks in between cycles. It was an expensive summer with utilities!

Old 04-09-2021, 11:10 PM

6,651 posts, read 3,478,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Yup, that was common in 2020. My A/C ran all day, all month. Like you said, only with 10-15 minute breaks in between cycles. It was an expensive summer with utilities!
Not looking forward this summer as you said the prices up north on Real Estate is crazy I wonder if it will ever come back down to a reasonable price. I suspect lot of people are holding out for the bubble to burst because if you sell high and buy something at a high price bubble burst get stuck under water. That's why I have been holding out I'm free to move anywhere I can get internet in AZ, or NM.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:08 AM

4,950 posts, read 6,953,491 times
Right now the weather is beautiful. Cool in the morns, warmish afternoons. Step outside see for yourself.

For some reason these heat threads remind me of THX 1138.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 AM

12,129 posts, read 8,617,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Have you ever lived in a humid climate for comparison? Yes the summer is hot in Phoenix but is it worse than Florida, that's the question. For me, Florida is worse but I know people that are fine with humidity but hate the dry heat and intense sun in Phoenix. Wife and I grew up near New Orleans and prefer Phoenix climate but we do avoid going out and doing much in the afternoons.
I actually moved from Arizona (Tucson) to Florida and at that time I was doing elite level triathlon training so I was outside running and cycling a good part of the day. So I went directly from dry to humid.

At the time I said that dry Arizona heat reminded me of somebody blowing a giant hair dryer on you in the sun while Florida humid heat was sort of like standing in front of a giant dog panting on you.

I remember both being absolutely miserable for training however. However, it was nice in Arizona when you would finish your training and you were covered in salt compared to being drenched in sweat like you were in Florida. Having to literally wring the sweat out of your workout clothes was kind of nasty.

I do think that for the typical person who doesn't go out a lot the dry heat is easier due to the fact that you don't get wet when you sweat going to and from your car and such.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:43 AM
AZ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Not looking forward this summer as you said the prices up north on Real Estate is crazy I wonder if it will ever come back down to a reasonable price. I suspect lot of people are holding out for the bubble to burst because if you sell high and buy something at a high price bubble burst get stuck under water. That's why I have been holding out I'm free to move anywhere I can get internet in AZ, or NM.
You are correct. Buy now and there’s a chance you’ll be underwater if/when the bubble bursts. It is a tough time time buy up north. I have a feeling the housing market here is heading for an adjustment because prices are just way over the top! But who knows? With such low inventory, this could go on for awhile pricing a lot of people out.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:29 AM

23,512 posts, read 12,615,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I actually moved from Arizona (Tucson) to Florida and at that time I was doing elite level triathlon training so I was outside running and cycling a good part of the day. So I went directly from dry to humid.

At the time I said that dry Arizona heat reminded me of somebody blowing a giant hair dryer on you in the sun while Florida humid heat was sort of like standing in front of a giant dog panting on you.

I remember both being absolutely miserable for training however. However, it was nice in Arizona when you would finish your training and you were covered in salt compared to being drenched in sweat like you were in Florida. Having to literally wring the sweat out of your workout clothes was kind of nasty.

I do think that for the typical person who doesn't go out a lot the dry heat is easier due to the fact that you don't get wet when you sweat going to and from your car and such.
I agree and this is my take. The other thing for me is when the sun is not on you in a dry climate, it's comfortable even if the temp is high but in a humid climate when the sun goes down, you're still sweating like mad.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:12 AM

6,809 posts, read 9,950,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
In Phoenix, it’s common to go months without even a sprinkle. Last year, it was 103 days between rain.....from April 12 through July 24 there was not a drop of rain! And that’s the norm, not an anomaly. Every. Summer. Year in. Year out.
Yes, April to about mid July is normally very dry here. What was an anomaly, however, was last year's excessive heat. Not only was it the hottest summer in Phoenix history, the heat started in late April and didn't really subside until after early November. I remember 1989 was similar, but 2020 shattered a number of records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Right now the weather is beautiful. Cool in the morns, warmish afternoons. Step outside see for yourself.
Agreed, but the temperatures are still unseasonably warm for April. Not only that, but we've been on a nearly rainless streak for about a year. We can dance in the sun and gloat about how beautiful it is, but that's tunnel vision. With the drought in critical stages, and many areas already being charred by wildfires as a result of the abundant sun, excessive heat, and lack of precipitation, that's not very beautiful. I'm pretty sure these are things you don't want to hear, but I'm just being a realist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area