Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these suburbs has the most friendliest and laid back people?
Phoenix, AZ City Limits 4 10.26%
Scottsdale, AZ 7 17.95%
Mesa, AZ 4 10.26%
Chandler, AZ 1 2.56%
Gilbert, AZ 3 7.69%
Apache Jct, AZ 0 0%
Peoria, AZ 2 5.13%
Gendale, AZ 2 5.13%
Tolleson, AZ 1 2.56%
Surprise, AZ 0 0%
Moon Valley, AZ 1 2.56%
Tempe, AZ 8 20.51%
Queen Creek, AZ 3 7.69%
San Tan Valley, AZ 0 0%
Surprise, AZ 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,902,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This is so dumb. Everyone has such a different perspective. Firebird thinks conservatives are uptight and unfriendly, I think leftists have mental health issues. See - different strokes for different folks.
It’s a stupid thread. People are people. There are nice ones and not nice ones on my block. I can’t extrapolate from that like we’re being asked to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 08:04 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,760,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think it's odd that it is considered "snobby" to drive nice cars and stay in nice hotels on vacation. Anyone looking down someone for spending their money on these things comes across as envious.
No that's not the odd part. The odd part is acting like they're somehow superior because of those things. Like cool you drive a nice car so do a lot of people, not to mention their median income is not even that high. Unless you've lived in wealthy parts of Scottsdale, it's hard to convey the level of superiority they present. I've lived in much much wealthier areas and no one acts like that. They have nice stuff and act like normal people who realize that making money takes hard work.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,231,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
No that's not the odd part. The odd part is acting like they're somehow superior because of those things. Like cool you drive a nice car so do a lot of people, not to mention their median income is not even that high. Unless you've lived in wealthy parts of Scottsdale, it's hard to convey the level of superiority they present. I've lived in much much wealthier areas and no one acts like that. They have nice stuff and act like normal people who realize that making money takes hard work.
Again, please point me to an example where her family told her they're superior to her. She said they're snobby and her example is that they drive nice cars and stay in the best hotels. And now in addition to also saying they present a level of superiority, you're speculating on "their median income", which no information was posted about.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:43 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,434,857 times
I see Scottsdale and Tempe are respectively #1 and #2. This is somewhat accurate, but with a twist. Obviously a generalization, but IMO: Scottsdale people will be very friendly and laid back if they profile you as a fellow Caucasian of the Upper-Middle class socioeconomic spectrum; Tempe people will be friendly and laid back to everyone, regardless of color of socioeconomic status. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 11,048,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I see Scottsdale and Tempe are respectively #1 and #2. This is somewhat accurate, but with a twist. Obviously a generalization, but IMO: Scottsdale people will be very friendly and laid back if they profile you as a fellow Caucasian of the Upper-Middle class socioeconomic spectrum; Tempe people will be friendly and laid back to everyone, regardless of color of socioeconomic status. Sorry, not sorry.
I think there could be some truth to what you are saying. Could be. But I'll never know.
signed,
Whitey

Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 AM

88 posts, read 84,448 times
Another experience I had in Tempe yesterday was doing DoorDash. I was at McDonald's, and the person ordered an ice cream cone. Typically, it would be put in a cup with the cone. However, I was given the large ice cream cone and I told the employee it would be hard to handle. He just said, "Have a McTastic day." It dripped in my brand new car and I had to drive without putting my seatbelt on because of that.

I'd have to conclude, I don't think Tempe is laid back much, but nowhere near as bad as Tucson. ASU itself is super laid back, but non ASU people are not so laid back. For me, the two suburbs I'd not live in are Tempe and Mesa. I've never had any issues with food delivery anywhere else in the Valley. They are mostly in Tempe. I had more issues with food delivery in Tucson as a whole than in Tempe, but I'd say Tempe is the 2nd area with many issues with food delivery.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:38 AM

2,769 posts, read 5,689,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
Another experience I had in Tempe yesterday was doing DoorDash. I was at McDonald's, and the person ordered an ice cream cone. Typically, it would be put in a cup with the cone. However, I was given the large ice cream cone and I told the employee it would be hard to handle. He just said, "Have a McTastic day." It dripped in my brand new car and I had to drive without putting my seatbelt on because of that.

I'd have to conclude, I don't think Tempe is laid back much, but nowhere near as bad as Tucson. ASU itself is super laid back, but non ASU people are not so laid back. For me, the two suburbs I'd not live in are Tempe and Mesa. I've never had any issues with food delivery anywhere else in the Valley. They are mostly in Tempe. I had more issues with food delivery in Tucson as a whole than in Tempe, but I'd say Tempe is the 2nd area with many issues with food delivery.

OH THE HUMANITY!

Old 04-27-2021, 11:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,886,763 times
This might rank as one of the dumbest threads ever in the phoenix threads, which is REALLY saying something..

Like Friendliness is something that can be objectively ranked..

Oh well, at least its not another weather or Covy thread..

Old 04-27-2021, 11:07 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,886,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I think there could be some truth to what you are saying. Could be. But I'll never know.
signed,
Whitey
you Scottsdale COWG's are really something!

Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 11,048,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you Scottsdale COWG's are really something!
Wase. That acronym was a puzzle! What does COWG mean???

According to the internet, it could mean:

COWG- Calibration and Operation Working Group

COWG-Central Ohio Weavers' Guild

COWG-Central Oregon Writers Guild

COWG-Communications and Outreach Work Group

COWG-Composite Optical Waveguide

I really don't think those ^^ were it. So I figured out the last two letters must be WG==White Guy. And then I thought, maybe the C==Caucasian. But the C and W would be redundant. Next up was the letter O. And it could only mean old! So did you mean Caucasian Old White Guy?? Inquiring minds want to know.

If so and to tie it into the thread, I am not going to vote for Peoria as being friendly. I HATE being called Caucasian! I prefer the more neutral term of "cream color".

Edit: C didn't stand for Crotchety, did it? "You people" from Peoria are all the same! Another vote for Scottsdale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area