U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 01:54 PM

3,090 posts, read 1,817,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For any property you are going to make an offer on, I'd ask to see a year of utility bills.
SRP, at least, will give you a rundown for the last year. No details, but you can get an idea of what you're looking at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

23 posts, read 29,150 times
School districts overlap town municipalities. Parts of Scottsdale are in Scottsdale schools and parts are not, example 85257 in far south Scottsdale are in Phoenix schools and considered less desirable and cost more. Most people do not have grass and xeriscape with drip irrigation to plantings. Done right, the look is attractive and water is not wasted. Many people install artificial turf for “green.” Water rates vary around town too as there are many water companies. My bill with old citrus and xeriscaping on Epcor, 18,000 lot is around $76 a month plus similar sewer charge from Town of Paradise Valley. I know people who have water bills over $600 a month. Our 3000 square foot ranch house is energy efficient and worse months run close to $300 but drop dramatically in cooler months. Property taxes and house insurance are reasonable. I’m struggling with the intense summer heat. We live less than a mile from Scottsdale Fashion Square. When we visit friends in far north Scottsdale, in Troon, the temps are 6 degrees cooler. As others suggest, get the utility bills from the seller. Be suspicious of flips to older homes because they often lack infrastructure updates. Prices have gone so high with limited inventory. Good luck finding your next home.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

3,406 posts, read 2,375,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Just don't forget that you will be paying State Income Tax now, but your property taxes will go down, your car registration will go up, Premium gas is almost $4 here, Electric is variable.

Scottsdale has a lot of older homes as it has pretty much been built out unless you keep going North. Chandler and Gilbert have better school districts but that may change going forward, both just laid off hundreds of teachers for next year due to students transferring to Charters, Private Schools and homeschooling from the pandemic. There are newer homes in Chandler/Gilbert but they will be on postage stamp lots as builders tried to maximize the number of homes on a given plot of land.
Car registration will probably go up but how much depends on the age and value, a $35K car that is 6 years old will only cost you about $200. A $60K 2021 car will run you about $1000 but it ramps down quickly each year thereafter.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

19 posts, read 5,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
9000 per year for property taxes!!!!!!!!!!! That is crazy!!!!!!
NY/NJ/CT property taxes are $9k minimum, often much more, and a 4%+ income tax, and $1k+ per year in tolls.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Status: "Respect for law enforcement since 1953" (set 10 days ago)

11,689 posts, read 7,747,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwy View Post
Most people do not have grass and xeriscape with drip irrigation to plantings. Done right, the look is attractive and water is not wasted. Many people install artificial turf for “green.” Water rates vary around town too as there are many water companies. My bill with old citrus and xeriscaping on Epcor, 18,000 lot is around $76 a month plus similar sewer charge from Town of Paradise Valley. I know people who have water bills over $600 a month. Our 3000 square foot ranch house is energy efficient and worse months run close to $300 but drop dramatically in cooler months. Property taxes and house insurance are reasonable. I’m struggling with the intense summer heat.
We live in Scottsdale with drip irrigation everywhere on a ~1 acre lot. We don't have xeriscaping, don't like it at all. Average water bill is about $140. About 1/4 of the back yard is grass shaded by enormous pine trees. Great for kids and pets.

As far as electric goes last year we had a four-digit bill one month because both the main house and the guest house were occupied. Keep in mind this area doesn't cool off much at night due to the heat island effect.

Old Today, 12:08 AM

630 posts, read 474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's nothing we were paying almost $12,000 a year for a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1,100 sq. ft. home in the semi run down City of Peekskill, NY and that was 11 years ago.
Ah NJ is the worst state in property tax - 15k for a 1400sf back in early 2000s couldn't or wouldn't move up nothing less than 25k a year in tax - friends were paying 75k a year in tax for their mansions - nuts!

Old Today, 11:06 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,542,496 times
Your budget is good enough to not have to deal with San Tan Valley or Glendale, just don't do it.

East Valley homes tend to have SRP which is much cheaper than APS on the west side.

If you run the equal payment plan for electricty, they usually use the $.10 sq ft as a base calculation and that is pretty much accurate.

My kids are in Gilbert Schools and I have been very happy with the schools. Chandler is also good based on experiences of people I know.

I prefer Gilbert over Chandler and Scottsdale because Gilbert neighborhoods tend to be more green, a holdover from the agricultural past. Chandler and Scottsdale has more desert landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area